Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Knowing the exact seconds was very important when it came to preordering my Apple Watch. 'Nuff said!

Really though, I understand that there are situations when you want to look at the time and know what it is down to the seconds. I completely agree and will be shocked if there's absolutely no option to do so in a digital face.

In the meantime, I'll be sulking at the lack of a "tick tocking" second hand for the analog faces!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
i understand people want to physically see seconds counting up but from a healthcare point of view it's a mute point as the hour and minute separator pulses with the seconds.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
i understand people want to physically see seconds counting up but from a healthcare point of view it's a mute point as the hour and minute separator pulses with the seconds.

I'm not in healthcare, so maybe nurses are better at counting two things at once, but I'm not sure I could count heartbeats and seconds manually at the same time:). I would guess they would need more than just a beat.

Frankly, though, even if the watch can display seconds I wonder how well it will work for healthcare with the short screen timeout. From what I saw in one review it sounds like if you lift your wrist to light up the watch the screen will timeout and go black in 6 or 7 seconds whether you leave your wrist up or not. I don't think that's enough to time to get a pulse reading.

Reactions: bobob

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011

Wow. You're saying that being able to count the number of times the separate pulses is good enough? What happens if you have to GLANCE away or look up for a moment, or to BLINK?

Also, it's "moot" point not "mute", so I guess that explains a lot.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wow. You're saying that being able to count the number of times the separate pulses is good enough? What happens if you have to GLANCE away or look up for a moment, or to BLINK?

Also, it's "moot" point not "mute", so I guess that explains a lot.

I'm saying the second pulses are available and if it's important change to a face with a seconds hand.

Regarding the mute moot point it was a spell check correction but please feel free to educate yourself on the forum rules.

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
I'm saying the second pulses are available and if it's important change to a face with a seconds hand.

Regarding the mute moot point it was a spell check correction but please feel free to educate yourself on the forum rules.

The seconds hand isn't precise enough for some applications. Don't project your needs onto those of others.

Someone will do an app to make this happen, but it ought to be included in the watch itself given the healthcare angle it is being marketed towards. Until then, the phone app that does this will have to do.

There definitely needs to be a watch face on mode, a la low battery mode or whatever it's called. Last thing we need is the watch readout disappearing during a time critical task.

OTOH, if the watch is just an unserious toy, then who cares?

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

I have no idea of what you mean by a "healthcare point of view". The separator pulse is not the same thing as displaying the seconds. I can't believe the irrationality of those who oppose those of us who are only asking for what is shown on the mac menu bar and on my current digital watch.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
My wife works in a hospital and she's going to leave the watch at home. She washes her hands a zillion times a day and is afraid because it's not very water resistant. But we'll see how it goes.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The seconds hand isn't precise enough for some applications. Don't project your needs onto those of others.

Someone will do an app to make this happen, but it ought to be included in the watch itself given the healthcare angle it is being marketed towards. Until then, the phone app that does this will have to do.

There definitely needs to be a watch face on mode, a la low battery mode or whatever it's called. Last thing we need is the watch readout disappearing during a time critical task.

OTOH, if the watch is just an unserious toy, then who cares?

I have no need to see anything. It's the same crap with every product Apple releases to be honest.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Why is the second so important to you? Simple curiosity here

I rely on seconds display, DAILY - trains in Japan are typically on time, and when the departure time is listed, the train will generally not close their doors until :00 seconds, exactly. So when I'm trying to catch a train, knowing at a glance that I have ten seconds (time to pick up the pace) vs. forty-five seconds (no rush) is really useful. There's a huge difference between having 45 seconds and having 10, when you're thirty seconds away from a platform. ;)

And before you ask, yes - your watch should be capable of receiving time broadcast signals so that it essentially keeps perfect time. That function is literally the first thing I looked for last time I went shopping for a new watch.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
My wife works in a hospital and she's going to leave the watch at home. She washes her hands a zillion times a day and is afraid because it's not very water resistant. But we'll see how it goes.
They say it is rated as IPX7 which means it should survive immersion in up to 1 meter of water for at least 30 minutes. AppleInsider interprets this as safe for washing hands, but not for swimming. Tim Cook has gone on record as saying he wears his in the shower, but I don't think I push it (after all, I think Tim would have an easier time than me getting a wet watch replaced).

As for the seconds display, I have a hard time believing that is not an option somewhere. There are plenty of situations where you would want this — how about counting down to midnight on New Year's Eve?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 24, 2004
England
I rely on seconds display, DAILY - trains in Japan are typically on time, and when the departure time is listed, the train will generally not close their doors until :00 seconds, exactly. So when I'm trying to catch a train, knowing at a glance that I have ten seconds (time to pick up the pace) vs. forty-five seconds (no rush) is really useful. There's a huge difference between having 45 seconds and having 10, when you're thirty seconds away from a platform. ;)

Exactly this - if you catch trains every day (and believe it or not most trains in the UK leave on time, despite the popular perception) it is very useful to know exactly how much time remains before the train leaves.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Exactly this - if you catch trains every day (and believe it or not most trains in the UK leave on time, despite the popular perception) it is very useful to know exactly how much time remains before the train leaves.

Well said, our trains really don't deserve the reputation they have. They generally are pretty good unless there is some kind of serious incident like a leaf falling on the line. Natural disasters like the wrong kind of sun (there really were delays because of the sun getting in the drivers eyes and the line getting too hot :D) play their part too of course.

Kidding aside, they actually aren't as bad as people think.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
The apple watch, accurate +-59 seconds lol.
Seriously though it's going to need to have seconds displayed, IT IS A WATCH.

malone18

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2011
Annapolis, MD

And before you ask, yes - your watch should be capable of receiving time broadcast signals so that it essentially keeps perfect time. That function is literally the first thing I looked for last time I went shopping for a new watch.

I haven't seen any faces that display the seconds as numbers (so to speak) but several offer a sweeping second hand.
These are the ones that I noticed had a seconds hand:
Chronograph
Color
Utility
Simple

There may be others that I haven't noticed.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2008
Can't you just look at your Mac or the Clock app on your iPhone?? I mean, what's the big deal? Seriously you people.

After having such a bad morning, that quote really made me laugh
Keep them coming :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I haven't seen any faces that display the seconds as numbers (so to speak) but several offer a sweeping second hand.
These are the ones that I noticed had a seconds hand:
Chronograph
Color
Utility
Simple

There may be others that I haven't noticed.
Yes, the analog faces are fine, but the digital faces all lack seconds display.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Knowing the exact seconds was very important when it came to preordering my Apple Watch. 'Nuff said!

Really though, I understand that there are situations when you want to look at the time and know what it is down to the seconds. I completely agree and will be shocked if there's absolutely no option to do so in a digital face.

In the meantime, I'll be sulking at the lack of a "tick tocking" second hand for the analog faces!

You have to go to customize to see seconds via complications interface.

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
You have to go to customize to see seconds via complications interface.

You're sure that's possible?

I can't believe people being so dismissive of this. If it's true that you can't display the seconds on any of the digital watch faces, it's a pretty significant oversight. It doesn't affect me that much personally, but some people need it just like to have seconds displayed.

Chcougar1

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I agree that a seconds display should be available, but for those saying they need to see things in seconds, there is a stopwatch app on the watch correct? Definitely a hassle to open it instead of just look at the screen face and immediately start tracking, but even if it isn't an option there is the functionality through the stop watch.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV

I can't believe people being so dismissive of this. If it's true that you can't display the seconds on any of the digital watch faces, it's a pretty significant oversight. It doesn't affect me that much personally, but some people need it just like to have seconds displayed.

I hope it's possible. I'm a nurse and I have two watch faces on my pebble, one with the time date and day and another with the time + seconds hand. I wouldn't be able to use it without a fast easy way to get a digital time with seconds hand, I really can't believe Apple would omit this.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010

Dont take my word for it. Try it for yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.