Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the world largely shut down in June 2020 due to the ongoing pandemic, Apple held its 2020 Worldwide Developers Conference digitally for the first time, allowing developers from all over the world to attend for free.

wwdc_2020_full_stream_ahead.jpg

Apple's digital WWDC was a success, with the company offering online labs, developer sessions, and more, and the digital format continued for the rest of Apple's 2020 events.

Prior to when Apple cancelled the in-person component of WWDC 2020 and opted for a digital event, other major events were forced to cancel ahead of time, including E3, NAB, and others, giving us insight into Apple's plans at the time.

While there's now a vaccine, it does not appear that there will be a path to a large in-person event by the time June 2021 rolls around. As The Verge points out, San Diego Comic Con, Anime Expo, and E3 have all decided not to host physical events this year. Comic Con and Anime Expo are July events and often take place after WWDC, while E3 is a June event.

For those who were hoping that things might be back to normal enough to allow for a traditional WWDC event, 2021 will not be the year that happens, and Apple is likely to once again go with the same digital format that it used last year.

In many ways, Apple's digital format is more accessible because no one has to pay $1,599 for a ticket or travel to San Jose, California for the event itself, so it's quite possible that the digital format will continue on in some way even when physical gatherings are once again possible in the future.

It will probably be some time yet before we hear about Apple's official WWDC plans. Apple last year in March announced that WWDC would be a digital-only event, but it's not clear if we'll get the same early heads up this year. WWDC info last year went out on May 5, so we could see a similar timeline this year.

Article Link: Digital WWDC 2021 Event Expected as Comic Con, E3 and Anime Expo Cancel In-Person Plans

DZakDad

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Toronto
Claris (owned by Apple) has already announced that the 2021 Claris Engage conference (formerly the FileMaker Developer's Conference) will be virtual this year again.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Are we in a news drought so MacRumors is making nonsense posts? Let’s have a conversation I guess...

WWDC 4 months away...
Nonsense? Really? It's 3 months going by previous years. That's not a lot of time to decide between an in-person or virtual event when you consider all the arrangements that have to be made by Apple and people who attend.

Putzytart

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2014
Cut to either September/October or early next year to Tim Cook walking out on stage to a live standing ovation. I agree that the prerecorded events feel slicker, but there's something romantic about doing it in person. Maybe from now on there will be a mix. Or heavily prerecorded sections played on screen at a live event.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA

With the world largely shut down in June 2020 due to the ongoing pandemic, Apple held its 2020 Worldwide Developers Conference digitally for the first time, allowing developers from all over the world to attend for free.

wwdc_2020_full_stream_ahead.jpg

Apple's digital WWDC was a success, with the company offering online labs, developer sessions, and more, and the digital format continued for the rest of Apple's 2020 events.

Prior to when Apple cancelled the in-person component of WWDC 2020 and opted for a digital event, other major events were forced to cancel ahead of time, including E3, NAB, and others, giving us insight into Apple's plans at the time.

While there's now a vaccine, it does not appear that there will be a path to a large in-person event by the time June 2021 rolls around. As The Verge points out, San Diego Comic Con, Anime Expo, and E3 have all decided not to host physical events this year. Comic Con and Anime Expo are July events and often take place after WWDC, while E3 is a June event.

For those who were hoping that things might be back to normal enough to allow for a traditional WWDC event, 2021 will not be the year that happens, and Apple is likely to once again go with the same digital format that it used last year.

In many ways, Apple's digital format is more accessible because no one has to pay $1,599 for a ticket or travel to San Jose, California for the event itself, so it's quite possible that the digital format will continue on in some way even when physical gatherings are once again possible in the future.

It will probably be some time yet before we hear about Apple's official WWDC plans. Apple last year in March announced that WWDC would be a digital-only event, but it's not clear if we'll get the same early heads up this year. WWDC info last year went out on May 5, so we could see a similar timeline this year.

Article Link: Digital WWDC 2021 Event Expected as Comic Con, E3 and Anime Expo Cancel In-Person Plans
I thought the digital conference was a huge success and hoped they would continue the format. Also, its much 'greener'. I would hope they keep it digital but with 'in person' occasionally for 'really special' events.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Hot take, all WWDC presentations should be digital going forward. I just prefer it as a viewer more than the over the top presentations and the audience clapping over every single thing lo

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
The workshops should at least permanently be digital. It's very hard to understand some of the presenters when they're nervously presenting in front of the audience which makes it hard to learn the material. Everyone seemed calm in the digital version.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
The right thing to do but I hope some day it will return to the way is used to be... I also still like the San Francisco/Moscone as a whole over San Jose.

I miss the days of Macworld Expo and WWDC in the Moscone center. It was like anything was possible back then. Now it is all meh... God I am getting old....

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Personally, I don't expect the world to come back to what we would call 2019 normal until about 2026/2027. Its sad, but until the entire world is vaccinated, then in person events will be a thing of the past for a while. Also, I think the big companies find it a relief. I use to attend one almost every year. The last one I intended in 2019, I felt like the company behind just felt annoyed and fed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.