Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch a 12.9-inch mini LED-backlit iPad Pro in early 2021 and a mini LED-backlit MacBook in the second-half of next year, according to DigiTimes.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED-Article.jpg

The Taiwan-based industry publication claims Epistar will supply the over-10,000 mini LEDs used in each iPad Pro tablet. Meanwhile, Apple is expected to recruit Osram Opto as another supplier of mini LEDs for use in a new "high-end" MacBook, which lines up with supplier information cited by respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Osram Opto Semiconductors is expected to supply backlight-use mini LED for high-end MacBook in second-half 2021, becoming Apple's second supplier of such chips next to Taiwan-based Epistar, according to industry sources.

Apple is expected to launch 12.9-inch mini LED-backlit iPad Pro in early 2021, with each tablet to use over 10,000 mini LEDs solely supplied by Epistar, the sources said. Epistar is ready to start production of mini LEDs by modifying its blue-light LED chipmaking equipment for producing such mini LEDs in third-quarter 2020, the sources noted.
Kuo has long predicted that a high-end 12.9-inch ‌iPad Pro‌ would likely be Apple's first mini-LED product. Kuo believes that production will begin on mini-LED displays for the iPad Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020, though a launch may not come until next year.

Kuo has said a mini-LED version of a 16-inch MacBook Pro is in the works for a possible late 2020 release, and that Apple is also working on a mini-LED 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, although he hasn't provided launch information for the latter beyond suggesting there are several mini-LED devices in the works for 2021. According to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, Apple suppliers won't begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays until the first quarter of 2021.

Kuo has previously said that mini-LED displays will allow for thinner and lighter product designs, while offering many of the same benefits of OLED displays used on the latest iPhones. Mini-LED displays, which use on the order of 1,000 to 10,000 individual LEDs, can offer deeper, darker blacks, brighter brights, richer colors, and better contrast compared to traditional LED-based displays, though the technology comes at a significant increase in cost for the time being.

Article Link: DigiTimes: 12.9-inch Mini-LED iPad Pro Arriving Early 2021, Mini-LED MacBook Coming Later

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
Gotta love all these leaks/raports, throw anything against the wall and see what sticks. Then say "well, i was right".
As for the iPad Pro... what about the 11 inch? I want one ASAP :p

Last edited:

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Whenever it is, I got no choice but to wait. My 2017 iPad Pro is doing ok but I was saving up for a 12.9" Pro, and the 2020 update was such a total snoozer. Not going to pony up the premium for 1 extra core and a Lidar sensor I'm never going to use. So, better sooner than later!

J___o___h___n

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2017
Now let’s see if Apple is smart enough to put the front camera in the right spot this time for the iPad

Totally agreed. I am constantly holding it the wrong way around and moving my head like a fool trying to find if its on the left or the right - and it's always on the side that has my thumb right over it.

I choose to use my iPad in Landscape mode always 100% of the time. I only switch to Portrait if an iPhone-app happens to open and I don't have an option.

k1ckdapro

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2014
Luxembourg
Whenever it is, I got no choice but to wait. My 2017 iPad Pro is doing ok but I was saving up for a 12.9" Pro, and the 2020 update was such a total snoozer. Not going to pony up the premium for 1 extra core and a Lidar sensor I'm never going to use. So, better sooner than later!
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 and see no reason to upgrade it. Still works like a charm.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You know, feels like every time there’s a rumour about micro LED display for iPad it’s only the 12.9”.

Makes me wonder if the 11” is going away and replaced by the new Air. I hope it’s not the case.

Edit: oops, Mini-LED (not micro)

Last edited:

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
You know, feels like every time there’s a rumour about micro LED display for iPad it’s only the 12.9”.

Makes me wonder if the 11” is going away and replaced by the new Air. I hope it’s not the case.

Like OLED on iPhones, initial production and supply presumably means micro-LED will debut first on higher-end models. Then roll out across the line over time.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Lol, these rumors have gotten ridiculous. It was just a week or so ago that there was a "rumor" that a 12.9" mini LED iPad Pro would be released this year. Anyone in their right mind should know that Apple isn't going to release an upgrade to the same model they just released in the same year. People would throw a fit.

But any and all rumors are now given by "reliable" sources. Its gotten really comical with what some of these people report.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Given that the rumour only mentions the 12.9" iPad Pro, I think there will be a price increase (inline with the cost of using MiniLED displays).

iPad Pro 2021 - A14X, MiniLED display

The 11" iPad Pro may remain as a lower cost Pro OR Apple may decide to remove it altogether considering the new Air. I'm interested to see the iPad Pro with a MiniLED display and how big of an upgrade it will actually be for people.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

Apple will launch a 12.9-inch mini LED-backlit iPad Pro in early 2021 and a mini LED-backlit MacBook in the second-half of next year, according to DigiTimes.

iPad-Pro-Mini-LED-Article.jpg

The Taiwan-based industry publication claims Epistar will supply the over-10,000 mini LEDs used in each iPad Pro tablet. Meanwhile, Apple is expected to recruit Osram Opto as another supplier of mini LEDs for use in a new "high-end" MacBook, which lines up with supplier information cited by respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
Kuo has long predicted that a high-end 12.9-inch ‌iPad Pro‌ would likely be Apple's first mini-LED product. Kuo believes that production will begin on mini-LED displays for the iPad Pro in the fourth quarter of 2020, though a launch may not come until next year.

Kuo has said a mini-LED version of a 16-inch MacBook Pro is in the works for a possible late 2020 release, and that Apple is also working on a mini-LED 14.1-inch MacBook Pro, although he hasn't provided launch information for the latter beyond suggesting there are several mini-LED devices in the works for 2021. According to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, Apple suppliers won't begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays until the first quarter of 2021.

Kuo has previously said that mini-LED displays will allow for thinner and lighter product designs, while offering many of the same benefits of OLED displays used on the latest iPhones. Mini-LED displays, which use on the order of 1,000 to 10,000 individual LEDs, can offer deeper, darker blacks, brighter brights, richer colors, and better contrast compared to traditional LED-based displays, though the technology comes at a significant increase in cost for the time being.

Article Link: DigiTimes: 12.9-inch Mini-LED iPad Pro Arriving Early 2021, Mini-LED MacBook Coming Later
Macrumors should start articles by saying Digitimes. Then we'd know not to read any further.

• Haha
Reactions: Ukiyo Evenings

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

It’s definitely possible. Without any kind of sales or cost data it’s impossible to guess what Apple might do, really.

But if there’s no 11” iPad Pro with mini-LED, maybe there’s no point to the 11” iPad Pro at all. It just wouldn’t be that different from the Air, for most practical purposes. That would be a pretty reasonable way to cut the models from five down to four (and three to two, in the 10-11” segment).

But not yet hearing any rumors about the 11” might just mean it won’t get mini-LED until the mid-late 2022 model.

Last edited:
Reactions: otternonsense

itsmeaustend

Suspended
Apr 27, 2016
Now let’s see if Apple is smart enough to put the front camera in the right spot this time for the iPad

It's in the right place. They need to leave it where it is.

I despise using my iPad in landscape mode. That's reserved for media like Netflix. I'd never FaceTime or browse the internet like that. Ew, could you imagine landscape Facetime?! That's .... not a great thought.... I don't think I know a single person that would like that...

• Disagree
Reactions: jole

David1964

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Still happy with my 2018 iPad Pro 11". My only regret is that i didn't get the 12.9".Maybe next time i upgrade but that may be some time as i am on a tight budget now.

Reactions: jole

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Gotta love all these leaks/raports, throw anything against the wall and see what sticks. Then say "well, i was right".
That's why the apptrack leaderboard exists. To rank the most popular Apple info leakers based on youir success rates. So you can ignore the "throw anything against the wall and see what sticks" leakers and focus in on the "I have actual information" leakers.

Note well, some of the leakers leaks are so broad that they eventually come true but tell us nothing about the future.
"Apple will release a new iPhone nest year". Sure that's going to be correct but like seriously, thanks Captain Obvious. Better to focus on the leakers who leak specific information and have a decent success rate.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 and see no reason to upgrade it. Still works like a charm.

I have the 10.5" and I would like the larger display as well as USB-C. I was looking for a 2018 12.9" refurb at least but they don't seem to be available anywhere in Germany, and when they were price difference was rather unremarkable.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
the ipad pro with 14X will smash all ultrabooks and all the laptops that run below 45W cpu and those without any high end dGpu

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.