Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

DigiTimes: 12.9-inch Mini-LED iPad Pro Arriving Early 2021, Mini-LED MacBook Coming Later

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
A14x. Beast.

iPad. Want. One.

Azrael.

Let’s just hope that developers and Apple will be able to push the iPad. Because the mobile grade ones don’t. It’s like having 1000 horsepower with a 65 mph speed limiter. What’s the point.

• Love
Reactions: smulji
Comment

startergo

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2018
the ipad pro with 14X will smash all ultrabooks and all the laptops that run below 45W cpu and those without any high end dGpu
Nowaday the RAM is more important. Sadly iPad Pro has small amount of RAM. Regardless of the CPU it can't compare with the laptops.

Reactions: mihike
Comment

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009
Anyone in their right mind should know that Apple isn't going to release an upgrade to the same model they just released in the same year. People would throw a fit.

There is a precedent for it with the 3rd gen and 4th gen iPad. Both were released in 2012, and the 4th gen was the first to have the Retina Display screen resolution.

Comment

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Kuo has said a mini-LED version of a 16-inch MacBook Pro is in the works for a possible late 2020 release,... According to Taiwanese research firm TrendForce, Apple suppliers won't begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays until the first quarter of 2021.

Someone is wrong and I bet Kuo is wrong. You cannot release a mini-LED 16” MBP in late 2020 if mfr.s are not competing on production bids until 2021.

Should I buy MacBook Pro 16" now? Or wait for the Mini-LED display version?

If you need x86 compatibility, buy now. If not, wait.

Comment

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
There is a precedent for it with the 3rd gen and 4th gen iPad. Both were released in 2012, and the 4th gen was the first to have the Retina Display screen resolution.

Lol a precedent? That was years ago and the 3rd gen iPad was a complete cluster and wasn’t really an upgrade from gen 2.

Comment

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Nowaday the RAM is more important. Sadly iPad Pro has small amount of RAM. Regardless of the CPU it can't compare with the laptops.
it runs ipadOS , not macOS...so 6gb ram is enough for what i said...but again...im talking about the RAW power of the cpu+igpu
So based on what A12z deliver for me on the dev kit mac mini ....the A14X based on 5nm architecture ...can do a lot more...remember, Apple will never give you a mac with A14 architecture with less than 8gb ram...and that mac will be far ahead of many in terms of heat, battery life, cpu/igpu

Comment

gnipgnop

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2009
Lol a precedent? That was years ago and the 3rd gen iPad was a complete cluster and wasn’t really an upgrade from gen 2.

Think about the similarities though: A12Z was not a significant update vs the A12X and Mini LED would be a significant screen technology change similar to the move to Retina Display.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mogfrog
Comment

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. If the 11” (or a similarly sized) iPad Pro doesn’t get mini-LED, I will buy nothing. I’ll just stick with my 2017 10.5” iPad Pro.

Comment

Beltemps

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2017
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 and see no reason to upgrade it. Still works like a charm.
I just bought the 2020 12.9 pro because my carrier offered me a supercheap deal. Yeah it‘s nicer and smaller than my 2017 pro but it‘s not a real game changer (except for the magic keyboard!) If Apple is releasing a new one in just 4-5 months from now I won‘t be buying it and I‘m sure that with the exception of all the YT influencers out there, most ppl will probably do the same. Mini-LED and 5G won‘t be a game changer either. It‘s a premium product for 1.400 USD and the economy is at an all-time low. Who can afford that every year?

Comment

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
All that power and still held back by iPadOS
not any longer...since the next macs will run on these arm based Apple chips
Trust me even on ipad pro, for photoshop and affinity you need this kind of power...yes if you browse the web on the ipad....then you dont need the pro model...the base ipad is all you will ever need

Comment

CWallace

macrumors G3
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Gotta love all these leaks/reports, throw anything against the wall and see what sticks.

Indeed, but the A14X is rumored to be in production now, as well, so an upgraded iPad Pro could now be possible.

I'd wait.

You know, feels like every time there’s a rumour about (mini) LED display for iPad it’s only the 12.9”. Makes me wonder if the 11” is going away and replaced by the new Air. I hope it’s not the case.

It makes sense to offer it first on the 12.9" model as supply will be low and that is the lower-selling model. Also it is the "top" of the iPad line so giving it MiniLED first...

I do think Apple will keep the iPad Pro 11 around - it still offers real benefits over the iPad Air: better performance (with the A14X), better camera, LIDAR, 120Hhz Pro Motion, more RAM, etc.

Anyone in their right mind should know that Apple isn't going to release an upgrade to the same model they just released in the same year. People would throw a fit.

Apple doesn't care. The iPad Pro received a 2020 update solely to get LIDAR into the wild so developers could have apps ready when the iPhone 12 shipped. And for folks on pre-2018 iPad Pros, the 2020 iPad Pro was a legitimate upgrade.

The 2021 iPad Pro will be for folks like myself who have 2018 iPad Pros. Those who bought 2020 models will upgrade in 2022 or 2023.

Someone is wrong and I bet Kuo is wrong. You cannot release a mini-LED 16” MBP in late 2020 if mfr.s are not competing on production bids until 2021.

Kuo does have contacts in Apple's supply chain so he does have a decent track record when it comes to actual hardware design, configuration and components. That being said, his first MBP 16" MiniLED rumor was back in March and it looks like COVID has slowed MiniLED production. So it is quite possible Apple was sourcing prototype MiniLED 16" panels back in late 2019 / early 2021, but now will have to push actual retail shipments into 2021.

Comment

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah we already discussed that. The iPad 3 really wasn’t an upgrade to the 2 and it pissed people off to no end that Apple did that. Also, that was several years ago and since then Apple hasn’t done it. I’m not saying its impossible for it to happen but I think its very unlikely.

Comment

JosepPont

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Albaida, Valencian Country
I think that if the higer end Macbook with miniLED display is scheduled for the second half of 2021 then maybe that Mac will be the higer end with miniLED and AS. That makes me hopeful about a refresh of the 16 inch intel version this year anf, of course, the leak talking about the 16 with minLED in last 2020 can be completely scraped out.

Comment

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Apple doesn't care. The iPad Pro received a 2020 update solely to get LIDAR into the wild so developers could have apps ready when the iPhone 12 shipped. And for folks on pre-2018 iPad Pros, the 2020 iPad Pro was a legitimate upgrade.

The 2021 iPad Pro will be for folks like myself who have 2018 iPad Pros. Those who bought 2020 models will upgrade in 2022 or 2023.

I agree that its for the 2018 upgrade crowd, I just disagree that it will be released this year. Apple will squeeze everything they can out of the 2020 model I don’t think are going to just scrap
It after a few months of sales.

Comment

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Think about the similarities though: A12Z was not a significant update vs the A12X and Mini LED would be a significant screen technology change similar to the move to Retina Display.

I just find it hard to believe that Apple is going to release another Pro model in the same calendar year. I just don’t see it happening.

Comment

dinobear

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020

I thought this was a joke at first. Doesn't the article say it will maybe ship a year from now? That doesn't sound like waiting it just sounds like not buying a laptop. If you can wait a year, there will be new technology rumored for another year out at that point too.

Reactions: applesed
Comment

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011

With solid state storage ram is actually less important than it was for overall real world speed. I’ve had 16 gigs for over 10 years in my PC rigs and don’t see the need for 32+ for my use cases. Also keep in mind that iOS is pretty efficient with ram usage. But sure. Give the iPad more. All for it (without raising costs$.

Comment

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
There's so much that excites me about future iPad Pro and future Macs but honestly mini-LED isn't one of those things. I'm worried it's going to raise the prices and improve the display in ways I'd only be able to appreciate with side-by-side comparisons with non-mini-LED devices.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.