Dilemma...free 3G from Tmobile - obviously useless on an iPhone (edge only)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AlvinNguyen, Jul 13, 2010.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

Well, I've had an iphone for ages since 2007 and all have been unlocked to use on Tmobile. I now currently have an iPhone 4 but it's waiting to be unlocked. I previously had internet before I got my iphone but I called to canceled because I didn't want to pay $30 a month for EDGE since the iphone doesn't work with Tmobile's 3G. Anyways, so my internet setting was on APN: wap.voicestream.com.

Recently, I helped someone set up their internet on their iphone and I realized the apn is now internet2.voicestream.com. So, after his phone worked, I decided to try that out and it worked! I had Edge. Then I traded my unlocked ios4 3GS for a Nexus One today and to my surprise...I now have 3G! I called my friend at tmobile to check and see if I have internet on my account and he said no - I was not paying or being charged for 3G.

So wtf now? Keep the Nexus and get free 3G plus free tethering? Or keep the iPhone 4 (once it's unlock) and use that on edge? I have an iPad 3G with unlimited data that I was using to tether but if I keep the Nexus I will be able to downgrade to the ipad Wifi! Save $$$ there and also save $30 a month ($360/year) on internet...

I obviously want to save money but I love the iphone and its iOS, not to mention the iPhone 4's new features. BUT...is it worth $360/year? What do you think?

2. still in school macrumors 6502

anddd.... this couldn't go in your other thread because?? Dude, if you have to ask others which phone you want to keep/use, you have a problem.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

360 a year is not that much. do what you want...our opinions should sway you. its whats comfortable to you.

4. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because the other thread was started on a different topic. This is something new I found.

As for asking - why not? Do you ALWAYS know exactly what to do without asking for opinion? What's wrong with asking for some input?

5. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Edge is painfully slow. Honestly, if you already have an iPad, and the Nexus One does the job for you, I'd go ahead and sell the i4, and just tether to the iPad. This is assuming that you like Nexus1.

6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

are you sure the edge is free and you are not just being charge pay per usage.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's no such thing as free internet from any wireless provider.
    They're prob charging you per KB and expect to get a huge bill.
    They can tell right away if your phone number is using data.
    If that was the case and that easy noone would be paying for carrier data and they would just add an APN with no data plan. Think about it a little.
    If its too good to be true.....

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Keep the nexus if you can use 3G. Edge hurts to use.

9. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I am currently using a Nexus one til I get my iphone unlock. These are one of the things I will miss is having a 3G connection while using EDGE. Still I will have to give up my very reliable Nexus to get a hands on of my iPhone 4. I hope its all worth it. You should enjoy yours!

10. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

11. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

This is not true and we are not getting charge for free! We are paying $9.99 for EDGE except were getting a $30/3G reception. I have used this APN settings for 5 months now and not once I got charge extra. Now, I spoke to my friend from Seattle who works for Tmobile network facility and said it's hard to detect the network traffic as far as APN signals.

I was amazed myself seeing 3G on a EDGE plan that I paid for. But that's the story.. It's sad that once I have unlock my iPhone 4, all I'm going to see is EDGE network. Nothing is perfect on this Cell phone world.

12. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Why would you do that? Free 3G on a Nexus 1 and you still want to use an iPhone on EDGE? The Nexus one is going to be the first Android phone to get the Froyo update because it is Googles baby.

13. swoosh0217 macrumors 6502a

swoosh0217

I'm already running custom FROYO95. Where have you been? I'm going to miss a lot of stuff on my Nexus one and I'm hoping iPhone 4 won't disappoint me especially with this signal issue.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Well then i think your nuts. Edge WILL disapoint you on the iPhone. I know, thats what im stuck with and why im contemplating going to Android and the Galaxy S since im not going to get an iP4.

Im only paying $5.99 for data but it is so damn slow it is frustrating so even if i have to pay $25, it will be worth it. Then ill just wait till 2012 to see if Apple goes to T-Mobile and others after their contract is up with AT&T. But by then, im thinking Android is going to be damn good so i dont know.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mayb cause he likes the iPhone os better than android.
    The reason many many people use iPhones on tmobiles edge.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

And that was true when they didnt have any real good phones. Now they do. Is why im using a iPhone on T-mobile but think im going to switch soon because i cant take edge any longer when there are some real good phones that are very fast....especially if your getting FREE 3G.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Those are my thoughts as well. I'd give another call to Tmobile and ask them about that before the bill comes in.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They might have some good phones but they're not iPhones. ;)

19. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Yea edge sucks butt. I'm either going for the 9700 or nexus if I could trade my 3gs for. Don't think I'll switch carriers when I can get 3g with tmobile. I think I'll trade my new iphone 3GS for a sidekick LX 2009:rolleyes:

20. douflag macrumors member

I don't think T-Mo ever had pay on the go data plans. Every time you try to surf with it, you'll get the upsell page.

I would check to see if your edge plan was actually canceled. I believe that if you pick up a 3G smartphone from T-Mo, they automatically switch you to the $30/mo Android plan. I've heard of this with the G1, myTouch 3G, etc. I'm not sure if the same applies to the Nexus One, because I don't know if that's sold as an unlocked phone.

Besides, why were you paying $30/mo for edge anyway? I only pay $5/mo, and even though it's agonizingly slow, it's better than nothing. I am a longtime customer, so that might have made a difference.

21. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

True, they arent, But they are good phones and catching up quickly. I think Android is really going to take off within the next year and some will leave the iPhone and AT&T for it.

Im never going to join AT&T so im just going to do what benefits me the best and as much as i like my iPhone, im not going to buy the new one so and i have some real good options now that i didnt before. But, im going to wait to see how their newest one does which gets released for sale tomorrow.

22. Flavin macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Noob here, Been lurking for a bit trying to catch the JB/UL for 3gs ios4 but saw this and thought i would start to contribute.

I got my 3gs in hopes of using on Tmobile. Before I bought it I callled them and asked if they support the Iphone. They said Yes they do

I asked if the Iphone will support their 3G and They said yes.

I am not sure if this is true from all that I have read. So my question is: will the iphone be 3G with Tmobile?

Thanks

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, no 3G on Tmobile USA.
    Just 2G edge data with any iPhone model.

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Like putting a lawn mower engine in a Ferrari

:rolleyes: