Dilemma - return Sport for SS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tyler23, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hi All, I have a dilemma.

I preordered a 42mm Sport at 3:05AM on 4/10 and received the watch last Friday 4/24.

However, as time goes on, I'm really considering returning the Sport and getting the 42mm SS with black sport band. So much so that I actually ordered the 42mm SS with black sport band last night.

Of course, being so late, I was given a shipping window of "June."

First, am I crazy for doing this? Is it worth getting the SS over the Sport? It's just unfortunate I took so long to make this decision because I already have the Sport nad have been using it now for 6 days.

Second, if I do decide to return the Sport and stick with my new SS order, is there any chance I get the watch before June? From reading this forum it seems to be an incredibly popular option and most people that pre-ordered early on the 10th have not received their watch.

Thanks for any help, advice, or other comments you may have!

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Why do you want to trade the sport in for SS? Having seen my Sister-in-law's pink sport last night, I was thinking I could have had a really nice Apple Smart watch for $350. Yeah my SS is really nice. I'm just not sure it's $200 nicer. It's also heavier than aluminum, which for my tiny wrist is not inconsequential. But I seem to be one of the rare few who really admire the look and feel of the Sport and don't consider it a cheaper cousin. For what it's worth, I had been skeptical of aluminum as a watch material but having tried it, I'm now sold on it more.

Oh well, you like what you like. It's your money and your wrist. Put the one you really love on your wrist because you will be looking at it a lot.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Buy the one you want. Personally the extra $ for SS given the Gen 1 AW's short lifespan isn't worth the difference. I can use it to buy a brand new Gen2 sport in a year or two. If the AW was forever like a real watch then sure. But the AW is tech, not actual jewelry.

4. chrysee macrumors member

chrysee

I don't have any watch in hand yet to judge, but my husband and I both ordered Sports. Our reasoning was almost exclusively related to price and quickly upgrading to the next model. I think I would prefer SS, but I bet I would prefer whatever changes there are to gen 2 to keeping my original watch when the time comes. I personally would be less likely to upgrade right away if I spent the money on SS now. So I'd rather have a Sport now and, IF I like the watch enough to want to keep using one and IF gen 2 has features or differences that I really want, I'll switch to SS for gen 2.

5. darkknight14 macrumors 6502

darkknight14

I would go with the SS version for sure. I actually ordered my 38mm SS black sports band this past Monday and it arrived today (see attachment for proof) so you might be getting it much much earlier than you thought..

Attached Files:

6. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I must say, my biggest concern is that I am constantly worried about rubbing the watch up against something and scratching the screen. Not so concerened about the body of the watch. I have a stainless steel mechanical watch now with a Sapphire screen and don't mind the small scratches on the watch, but what I couldn't stand are the scratches on the screen.

I did buy AC+ for the Sport watch, but I couldn't use a replacement just for scratches on the screen..it would have to actually impede the daily usage of the watch.

This is something I seem to generally do with Apple Products - at first I cheap out (like buying the 16GB iPhone), but then I realize I shouldn't be cheap, return it, and buy the more expensive version (64GB iPhone, or in this case, the SS AW).

Decisions, decisions..my wife just told me to do whatever I want to I'll stop nagging her about it LOL.

----------

I've heard that the 38mm are more abundant and therefore shipping faster..the 42mm are a bit more in short supply. Hmm.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

Okay, given what you just said about your purchase history and the fact that scratches on the face really would bother you, go for the SS. I don't think the added weight of steel or the added cost would be a factor for you, so prioritize your concern about scratches. Sport crystals don't scratch easily, but they are more likely to eventually scratch over the course of a year of wear that you're likely to put in. The sapphire likely won't.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I'm in the same boat.

Was lucky enough to get the Aluminum Sport with White Band on launch day, but after preordering, I did the try-on (thanks a lot, Angela!) and wished I ordered the Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop instead. I'm in the June window as well, and my 14-day return period halfway through (though, I'm a bit hopeful they will allow me to extend that as they've done for previous purchases in the past, or if I am able to show them a shipment notification of the Stainless Steel model sometime soon).

Granted, it's $399 versus $699 for the two 42mm models in question, but we're talking not only a much nicer-looking metal, we're also talking a sapphire screen and the Milanese Loop that is $149 if I were to purchase it alone (and that item itself has a June date).

9. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

You have the watch. Most people don't. It seriously is not worth the upgrade if you have to go through returning and then waiting until June. Wait for the Gen 2 version and splurge. That will be worth the wait.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I know some people may disagree with this, but sell your Sport for like $650 online and use that money to get the SS version. I know that is wrong but hey, it is what it is.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Scratches on the body can be buffed out with a jeweler's cloth or taken to a watch place to be buffed. You can't exactly do that with the aluminum body.

If your biggest worry is the screen (which is also mine) the SS is a no brainer.

FWIW I bought the SS with Milanese Loop and am exchanging the loop for the Sport band.

12. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

As much as I'm iffy on the whole 'scalping' thing, would a used/opened Sport sell for $650?

13. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Many people are assuming that the watch will follow the same yearly refresh cycle as the iPad and the iPhone, and basing their purchase on this. Many believe that as it's a different class of device, it will have a longer period between cycles.

Either way, you have to be happy for a minimum of a year with the device you have. That's why I bought a SS as opposed to Sport.

14. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

I think you're doing the smart thing and what many of us suggested from the beginning. Start off with the Sport to see if you like it and if it fits into your daily routine. If you love it, then either sell it or return it and upgrade to SS (or wait for SS gen 2).

If you have a 42mm you could potentially make a small profit to cover the difference.

Note: If you're a 2-year upgrade cycle person the SS might be worth the longevity. If you're a yearly person, the watch won't be around long enough to get the full value. Don't worry about scratches, it happens.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Probably not. I bought a sealed sport for $500

16. nfl46 macrumors 603

Heck yes, it would! Brand new 42 Sports are going for nearly $800 on CL. And on Swappa, you get a 42 from $650 to $1050 as of right now.

----------

Where? Was it a 42?

17. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation.

Even if I wanted to keep the Sport, I really want the brown leather loop band to go with it (which I have on order), but that still shows June shipping as well. If I'm waiting for that band until June, I could probably wait for the watch..the tough thing is already having one now (although I have the blue sport band which is not professional looking at all).

18. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Swappa look at recently sold also 38. Also they may be listed at $650 but they'll most likely sell for less. The one that sold for $480 in Dallas was originally $630. You'll get a lot of low offers or you let it sit and hope it sells but it'll be a slower sale.

19. nfl46 macrumors 603

That's why.

38 sells for less than the 42.

OP has a 42, in this case, so they could get more than $500 for their watch. Cheapest 38 on Swappa is $515, cheapest 42 is $650. Even though, OP's is opened, they could still get roughly $600ish on Swappa right now.

20. webworks415 macrumors 6502

As long as you went for a try on appointment and liked the SS with black band, I say go for it. Return your Sport in a week before the 14 day time window is over and just tough it out until the SS arrives. Just get what you really want!

21. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Do you want your watch to be dressy, or more gadget-y? It was a no-brainer for me when I saw them in person. I wanted steel.

Nothing wrong with the choice of sport at all, but it's just not dressy.

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Definitely doesn't hurt to try!!

23. dmonnin macrumors regular

I literally just sold my 38 Space Grey on Ebay and I ordered a SS white sport band. It pretty much paid for itself. I wore my 38 sport for three days and still got almost 200 over retail.

24. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Is the 42mm SS with White Sport Band shipping faster? I've seen reports of people ordering it 3 days ago and it already shipping. Is this true, and, if so, is it only outside the US or also for the US?