Dilemma: To 5S Or Not To 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drew84, Jan 10, 2014.

  1. Drew84 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2012
    #1
    My dilemma is rather trivial in the grand scheme, but one I can't make my mind up on. My contract has ended on my 4S, and because I'm not a gadget geek that demands the latest and greatest, and because the phone still runs fine (aside from a battery that goes from 30% to zero in a matter of minutes), I just planned to ride it until the launch of the 6. However, seeing the current used prices on eBay, the lure of essentially upgrading to a 5S "for free" got my attention. Well, that and knowing I'm paying AT&T for a phone every month that I already own in full.

    The problem is, upon further inspection, my Otterbox scratched the antenna band up pretty good, bringing it's value down considerably, I'm sure. Of course, by late 2013, and certainly after the 6 is unveiled, it will have little resale value at all, so there will no longer be a "free" or "close to free" upgrade anymore.

    If I want to make the upgrade path as cheap yet as worth-it as possible, which direction would you suggest? Wait, or jump now?
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    I'd jump now. You've got at least 8 months to go before a new iPhone is available, and the 5s is a fantastic phone.
     
  3. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2012
    #3
    To add to my original post, I realize upgrading now will certainly cost me less out of pocket, as the 4S is worth more now than 6-8 months down the road. But if it's going to cost, say, $75-100 to do it now, how much more might it cost if I just wait?

    An excellent condition 32GB 4S (which mine probably isn't now) sells for around $300-325. What would be a good estimate for a four-generation-old phone in late '14? I I've never sold a phone and don't have much idea how the resale values of iPhones ebb and flow, so that's my main curiosity. I'm trying to be smart and not have to shell out $250 or more plus activation fee to upgrade a phone.
     
  4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #4
    I don't know, around here a 4S sells for $175-225 depending on condition. You'll also have to factor in the fact that your battery may be shot. I'm talking about craigslist, EBay may be another story. You're probably going to drop another $100 in value by the time the next iPhone comes out.
     
  5. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #5
    Go with the 5S now. Why? The next iPhone announcement, not release, is around 8 months ahead of time.
     
  6. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Saratoga, CA
    #6
    I have decoupled my phone upgrades from my eligibility for a subsidy from AT&T. I bought a 32GB iPhone 5 from AT&T a year ago for $300 and immediately sold it on Craigslist for $700 and put $400 in my pocket. I kept using my jailbroken iPhone 4 for a while, then finally picked up a brand new 32GB iPhone 5s for $600 from Craigslist.
     

Share This Page