Directv Now DVR Beta for Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by OutGolfn, Sep 19, 2017.

1. OutGolfn macrumors regular

OutGolfn

Anyone else get the invite from Att and join the Directv Now DVR beta? Curious how many have the beta app currently running through TestFlight up on both iOS 10 and iOS 11.

2. OutGolfn thread starter macrumors regular

OutGolfn

Using it briefly so far recordings are hit or miss. Some channels and shows are able to be recorded and others can not. Looks like it is 15 Sec skips fwd and rwd on recordings.

The interface is white on the iPhone and iPad, but the Apple TV retains the black with an all new interface and guide. Looks like teams are finally displayed in the guide for sporting events. Also there is now a PIP during the guide/app navigation, similar to the current youtube app you can swipe away.

Good progress but they definitely have some work to do on this product. Should be a solid offering once the bugs are ironed out.

3. 2010mini macrumors 601

Pics?

4. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

On Apple TV I see no rewind or ff controls watching either live buffer or recording. So far not impressed. I was hoping they would use the Apple TV scrubbing feature which is such a strength of the platform.

5. OutGolfn thread starter macrumors regular

OutGolfn

I believe they are tweaking items every single day. So some days I see items/features disappear and re-appear later on. It's very much beta but that is to be expected at this stage. Hopefully with this beta program, they will be able to introduce a solid stable DVR product to the masses. Lots of work to do now before rolling it out.

Tapping the trackpad during a show, should bring up the fwd and rwd buttons, as well as the 15 sec skip. Within the DVR listing, holding a tap on the trackpad will bring up the option to delete the recording. I do agree they should offer the scrubbing feature to be consistent across the tvOS platform.

6. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Glad to see they're finally making some progress w/this, albeit it appears slow.

7. Zorn macrumors 65816

Zorn

How did you get in? I don't recall seeing a signup.

8. OutGolfn thread starter macrumors regular

OutGolfn

DirecTVNow sent out beta invites a few different times over the last couple months. Not sure how individuals were selected. Overall the Beta App has gotten better and just added a Series Recording feature to the DVR. Each month it has gotten better, but they still have a lot of work to do for public release.

9. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

can you use directv now if you have just normal directv?

10. 2010mini macrumors 601

No. They are 2 completely different services.

11. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

12. patseguin macrumors 68000

patseguin

I just got an invite and installed on my iPad but it's not showing up in testflight on my apple tv. Anyone else with this problem?

13. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

did you choose to beta test the Apple TV version? If you did TestFlight on apple tv should show up with it. I think you get the iOS version to test in addition, but not sure it works the other way. If you only selected iOS as your beta test platform it may not implicitly add you to the apple tv version.

In my case, I only chose Apple TV but got the iOS as well.

You are not missing much, the UI is still a mess. At this rate, Im not sure any of the tv streaming services want to actually be usable.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Got invited to Beta #4 for my ATV4. Before I click the button -- is it pretty stable? Understand it's a Beta, just curious about any known issues or reasons not to install.

15. Coffee50 macrumors 6502a

I've only had it for a few hours, but I'm not having any huge issues at all. It it a beta, so not everything is a quick & snappy, but I've had no major issues & I'll send how the DVR features works tonight. (I set some recordings, so I'll see how they turn out)

Plus, you'll still keep & can use your regular DTN app if you'd like.

I'm planning on just using the beta to provide feedback (& to get used to it if features end up being implanted in the new app)

16. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I have a beta invite, installed TestFlight, downloaded the beta app but can’t for the life of me figure out why it won’t log me in. Says my username/password are incorrect when I know for a fact it is right. Any clues?

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

I wish they’d go to channel numbers. My wife hates alphabetical order and won’t support having it until that changes.

18. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Why not if you're willing to pay for both services??? The real question is why would anyone want to do this EXCEPT to preview DTV NOW before canceling DTV.

19. mikosk macrumors regular

I finally got into the beta. Mostly curious about the DVR which is not that great. I recorded some 30 min shows and the playback had to be restarted every few minutes to get through the whole program. It still feels like a beta, very hit and mostly miss.

On the upside, they are getting there with the DVR. They need some basic functionality like record only new, keep X amount of episodes, run over for live events, etc. Just copy any cable DVR and make it stable. You really don't need much more than this.

I don't use it a lot, mostly just use their standard service which seems to have stabilized a ton in recent weeks.

20. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

Anyone have trouble with the beta and not getting any streaming or guide to work? I can login and see the framework of the app, but nothin will stream and the guide won’t load. Same on all of my Apple TVs and my iOS devices. Have the most recent update and have reinstalled. Beta support through Directv now hasn’t helped at all...

21. csurfr macrumors 68020

Haven’t had any issues recently. I know they just released an update over test flight last night or the day before. It’s the only version of the app I’m using across the board.

22. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502a

DocMultimedia

The beta DVR feature continues to be a crapshoot. The playback tends to endlessly skip, and at least 50% of the time when I try to record it gives me the error message. Not yet usable. Updates still rolling in every few days. Keeping my fingers crossed, but every day I'm getting closer to saying "who cares."

23. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I thought the latest update was a step in the right direction.

:apple:

24. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

I am still amazed at how bad the Directv Now software continues to be. I have been a subscriber since the very beginning. I suffered through all the horrible freezes, error codes, etc., but what amazes me is it still is buggy, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The layout is horrible. Who is designing their software a bunch of monkeys? I have never experienced software that has had so many problems.