Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few months, DirecTV Now have been offering a great deal for anyone interested in the Apple TV 4K. The offer stipulates that when new subscribers prepay for three months of DirecTV Now at $105, they can get a 32GB Apple TV 4K at no additional cost. It was believed that the company would remove the deal at the end of March -- or revert back to the original offer to prepay for four months at $140 -- but now that a new month has rolled around it appears that the offer should be available through the end of April.

DirecTV Now introduced this new, lower-cost offer back in February and it has remained the best sale price for a brand-new 32GB Apple TV 4K since then. Although eBay and retailers like Adorama and B&H Photo sometimes have sales, the 32GB Apple TV 4K's normal price is $180 on Apple.com.

directv-now-apple-tv-4k-new-deal.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with DirecTV Now. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The offer's $105 price tag calculates the cost of three months of DirecTV Now's "Live a Little" $35/month plan, which includes around 60+ live channels. On the Apple TV app, users can stream live TV and watch on-demand shows, and sometime this spring they'll be able to record content to DirecTV Now's long-promised cloud-based DVR.

To take advantage of the sale, follow these steps:
[*]Visit DirecTVNow.com's landing page for the deal
[*]Click "Redeem & Stream"
[*]Select the "Live a Little" package to get the Apple TV at the lowest possible price
[*]Choose if you want to add premium channel add-ons, or click "Skip for now"
[*]Click "Add to plan" under the Apple TV 4K box in the Special offer section
[*]Click "Continue" and go through the account creation and checkout processes It's important to note that the deal is for new subscribers only, but existing subscribers can claim it by using an alternative email address from their original account, or by setting up an iCloud email alias. Once ordered, the Apple TV 4K arrives in the mail within a few weeks, and those who don't want to continue paying for DirecTV Now beyond the three months offered in this deal can cancel the service before the fourth month is billed and keep the Apple TV 4K.

For more on the latest discounts and savings happening this spring, visit our Deals Roundup.

Article Link: DirecTV Now Extends Apple TV 4K Deal with 3-Months Prepaid Service Through April

SeminalSage

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
I took advantage of this deal about a month ago. So far, so good. We’ve had two outages that lasted less than 30 minutes each.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
They also have a promotion to get first 3 months for $10/each. Can’t combine, but still good if not interested in another AppleTV.

Reactions: RobNYC
Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Not sure with DTV Now is any better.
I subscribed for 3 months on their launch and I did not like it. Yes they gave me HBO for $5 bucks but most of the shows were just few episodes from the latest seasons. Same for the regular networks. That was a deal breaker. So I abandoned it.
I would consider coming back if they fixed this and also the dropped the connection that was happening quite often.

Comment

dhess34

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I’d happily pay $140 (i.e. four months) for the 64Gb version! I filled the 32GB on my last-gen Apple TV fairly quickly.

(I’ve since built a dedicated Plex server, so space isn’t as important as it was, but still...)

Comment

CJLevinsk22

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I took advantage of this deal last month - very glad that I did! If you are a Bank of America customer, check your cash back deals as there usually is a deal for an additional $30 back when using a BoA card to pay for DirecTV (I confirmed this also extends to DTV Now). You should be able to grab an AppleTV for $75. Mine came in less than a week.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’d happily pay $140 (i.e. four months) for the 64Gb version! I filled the 32GB on my last-gen Apple TV fairly quickly.

(I’ve since built a dedicated Plex server, so space isn’t as important as it was, but still...)

You are legit the only person I’ve ever encountered who filled even a 32gb ATV.

I’m taking advantage of this simply for the ATV and cancelling service as soon as is arrives (I know it will just expire when it runs the 3 months).

Comment

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Not sure with DTV Now is any better.
I subscribed for 3 months on their launch and I did not like it. Yes they gave me HBO for $5 bucks but most of the shows were just few episodes from the latest seasons. Same for the regular networks. That was a deal breaker. So I abandoned it.
I would consider coming back if they fixed this and also the dropped the connection that was happening quite often.
You need to use network apps with the DTVN credential login

Reactions: RobNYC and gugy
Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is there any advantage to an Apple TV 4K if you do not have a 4K TV?

This is tempting to get a second Apple TV so I don't have to keep moving my existing ATV4 between my office and the projector in the bedroom. Hell, the projector is only 720p!

Comment

tennisproha

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2011
Texas

Just curious, what did you fill up the 32 GB with? I'm pretty surprised as well.
Did it for the 4K Apple TV. Direct TV streaming is a joke, not sure how anyone actually uses it
That's really the only reason. DTN sucks.

Comment

dhess34

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
You are legit the only person I’ve ever encountered who filled even a 32gb ATV.

I’m taking advantage of this simply for the ATV and cancelling service as soon as is arrives (I know it will just expire when it runs the 3 months).

Haha yeah, I know I’m in the minority there! It was mostly the kid’s movies on VLC. Plex solved that, but I’m still gun-shy. I’m also the guy who got the 256GB IPhone X because I have a 50GB music library. I’m moving into the ‘streaming’ future, albeit kicking and screaming.

Comment

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68030
Feb 24, 2009

This is tempting to get a second Apple TV so I don't have to keep moving my existing ATV4 between my office and the projector in the bedroom. Hell, the projector is only 720p!

I took advantage of the Apple TV 4 deal they had a year ago and also this deal.

I've heard people say that the ATV 4K is smoother and faster... I've noticed absolutely no difference. The Apple TV 4 is just as snappy as the 4K in my experience. The only difference is 4K HDR.

That said, I've not tried any gaming on it.

Comment

dhess34

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Just curious, what did you fill up the 32 GB with? I'm pretty surprised as well.

That's really the only reason. DTN sucks.

Mostly my kid’s movies, via the VLC app. I now have a stand-alone Plex server to solve that problem, but still. Moar data!!1!

Comment

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana

My friend got the Apple TV 4K and doesn't have a 4K TV and he loves it, although he had no streaming box of any kind so anything would have been an upgrade;) There shouldn't be any disadvantages to this kind of setup (despite the obvious lack of 4K/HDR).

If $105 is worth it to you to not have to move your current ATV around all the time, I'd say it's worth it. I also moved my ATV4 around every now and then before going in on DTVNow's original deal and now have 2x ATV4 and 1 ATV5.

Comment

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
My friend got the Apple TV 4K and doesn't have a 4K TV and he loves it, although he had no streaming box of any kind so anything would have been an upgrade;) There shouldn't be any disadvantages to this kind of setup (despite the obvious lack of 4K/HDR).

If $105 is worth it to you to not have to move your current ATV around all the time, I'd say it's worth it. I also moved my ATV4 around every now and then before going in on DTVNow's original deal and now have 2x ATV4 and 1 ATV5.

Well, effectively having cable TV for free for a few months in addition to the ATV wouldn't be cool. It's been a while since I've had it.

Of course I may end up liking it and keeping the service. In which case DTV will have accomplished what they set out to do!

Comment

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Might have to finally cave and get this deal. My fire tv stutters when there is movement in video. Think the GPU isn’t up to the task.

Comment

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
If you have Bank of America they give you $35 on top of this deal for trying direct tv.

Video quality of Direct tv isn’t that great but a Apple TV for 70 bucks is an amazing deal

Comment

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007

That's what I did. Except I caught it last December and prepaid 4 months at $140. Still a good deal, but I wish I had waiting for the 3 month version.

I will say, I thought the DTV Now service wasn't all that bad. WAY better than Playstation Vue, IMO. But not good enough to keep it. I've just never really used it much. Though it's great during football season...

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's what I did. Except I caught it last December and prepaid 4 months at $140. Still a good deal, but I wish I had waiting for the 3 month version.

I will say, I thought the DTV Now service wasn't all that bad. WAY better than Playstation Vue, IMO. But not good enough to keep it. I've just never really used it much. Though it's great during football season...

When DTV now first launched it had the same offer, but it was before the 4K ATV. The service was pretty bad at that point becuase it was brand new. Lots of streaming errors and a bad interface. I’ll be curious to see how it evolved.

Comment

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I may use my wife's e-mail to get another ATV 4K, and use the ATV3 in the car with a raspberry pi as a router, just for the DirecTV Now app. The DirecTV app is a bit of a joke in comparison, as there are too many button pushes to get to start watching TV on the phone.

Wow... talk about FWP...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.