DirecTV Now launching Nov 4 at $35 with Apple TV app

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdillings, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jdillings macrumors 65816

2. 2010mini, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

2010mini macrumors 68040

https://directvnow.com/

You beat me to posting this. Yes for more competition in the marketplace. Hope this is not for mobile devices only.

3. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I hope the Apple TV app supports the Now service and the standard service. I get directv as part of my apartment rent... I don't even have it hooked up because I don't want another box to deal with...but if I could access it on Apple TV, I would use it... I want Apple TV to be my only box on my tv... all though I will probably get a Nintendo switch as well.

4. mellofello macrumors 65816

Definitely going to subscribe to this. I hope they do a Android TV app. Waiting for a 4k ATV 4 to come out

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I wish we could get this in the UK :( Looks like an excellent package for the price

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
  7. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

No.

Go to the website and enter email. They'll send you the info when it's available.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

hhhmmm if the list of channels is promising I could see myself getting this over my current Verizon Fios service... the only question would be how do I go about getting high speed internet without a cable subscription?

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Just cancel the TV portion of your service from FIOS. Unless you are on a 2 year commitment you can cancel as of the end of the current monthly cycle. I assume your Internet cost will go up.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I'll look in to that thanks. wasn't aware that they offered the internet portion on its own. I'm sure they jack up the price to the point where you have to think about it, so I'll see if its worth it.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

The best part of Verizon FIOS is the Internet. I am now on Frontier FIOS after the purchase. I also have FIOS Internet Only for my Business but for my home I have both. I did return all of my hardware (2x DVR and 2x STB) and I use 2x CableCards now with the HDHomeRun Prime (x2) and I use the Channels App for Live TV. I am very interested in the streaming solutions but it must support ATV and it must have a No Commercial Option or at least a Cloud DVR Option. Commercials will be a major problem for most if not resolved.

12. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

That's not going to happen for the new DirecTV subscription. From what I've read the new DTV subscription service is going to be an OTT version of their present offerings available via satellite.

Hopefully there will be either be a cloud DVR feature or robust VOD offerings. The service simply being a live TV streaming service, a la Sling, won't be very compelling for me.

At any rate, the Apple event is about to kick off. Perhaps we'll get more information.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

interesting. Please let me add NFL Sunday ticket.

14. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

15. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Why is it ackward?

16. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Because the NFL controls all the broadcast rights to Sunday Ticket. They have been, so far, reluctant to allow the service to be available for streaming.

17. dancefreak macrumors regular

Not true. DirecTV controls those rights within the frameworks of their deal with the NFL. Sunday Ticket has been available for streaming for a couple years. I know this because I have it and I do not have a full DirecTV account.

18. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Yes, but, the people who can sign up for a streaming version of Sunday Ticket is highly restricted. I probably should have said the NFL is reluctant to allow the service to be available for general streaming.

I would be very, very surprised if the general public gets access to a streaming Sunday Ticket along with the new DirecTV Now service.

19. dancefreak macrumors regular

I can get direcTV. There's an old dish on our roof actually so our address has to be in their system. Had absolutely no issue ordering the streaming sunday ticket service last year and continuing with it this year. I think at first they were a lot more strict about it, but direcTV (and now AT&T) has come to realize more money was to be had from people who wouldn't consider switching. The only limitations are those that DirecTV places on itself. Now as far as general streaming of games...yeah that's not happening for sunday afternoon games because the NFL sold those rights to DirecTV through 2022 for $1.5B/year (I might be off a year or two). I think a lot of people would argue that a per team or per game service could generate a lot of money but the NFL seems to be OK with the current arrangement for a while.

20. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

It sounds like DTV and the NFL are quietly changing the terms and conditions of who can and can not subscribe to the streaming Sunday Ticket, then.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

But you have to either be a college student or live in an area where you cannot get DTV

22. dancefreak macrumors regular

I am neither of those things and Directv has been happy to take my money for streaming Sunday ticket the last two years. I know others in the same situation who do the same.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Well damn. They wouldn't take mine :(

24. mellofello macrumors 65816

I wonder how good the picture quality will be. I have had both the time Warner and the local telco IPTV setups. Neither do real HD. It bugs me watching low quality so I am currently streaming everything with my mom's cable credentials.

I need to try these out to see if they look good.