DirecTV Now Rebranded as 'AT&T TV Now'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced that it is rebranding DirecTV Now, its live TV streaming service, as "AT&T TV Now." The company said that existing customers will need to re-accept terms of service following the rebranding, and then their streaming plans will continue as usual.

Other than the name change, AT&T hasn't announced any other overhauls to its live TV platform, so users can expect the same prices and channel availability as before. The company said that current DirecTV Now users will see the update automatically across devices.

Secondly, AT&T announced yet another new streaming platform, called AT&T TV, which will be piloted in select markets this summer. The company described this as a "connected TV experience with no satellite needed," which sounds essentially like another live TV streaming service, but gave no details about how it would be different from AT&T TV Now.

Both AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now will be accessed through the same AT&T TV app on mobile devices and on TV apps. AT&T said that customers can expect more details about AT&T TV as the rollout begins later this summer.

Article Link: DirecTV Now Rebranded as 'AT&T TV Now'

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
My guess is AT&T TV might be the 'box' that DTVN was testing. Especially with their use of the "connected" terminology.

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
I don't understand some of these companies. Don't they realize it's smart to capitalize on known, catchy brands?
The known brand of Direct TV and Direct TV now doesn’t have a great reputation, losing around 1 million subscribers in a year.

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
I don't understand some of these companies. Don't they realize it's smart to capitalize on known, catchy brands?
One possible thing is maybe people are confused by DirecTV Now. Maybe people know DirecTV as satellite, and they don't understand DirecTV Now is something different. Just throwing that out there. Then again, people know AT&T as a phone company and might think AT&T TV Now comes over a phone line. :)

Reactions: Wide opeN

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Sounds like it's time for another price increase to match the new name :).
[doublepost=1564509093][/doublepost]
The known brand of Direct TV and Direct TV now doesn’t have a great reputation, losing around 1 million subscribers in a year.
In this case, I would probably agree with the rebranding.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Yep... they're losing me in Sept. when my contract is up.
Tired of being nickel and dime'd to death every month.
My actual package is not bad... $68 per month, but then add on 3 "TV access fees", Advanced Receiver DVR fee, Whole Home DVR fee, Advanced Receiver HD channels fee, and taxes, and it comes in at $120 per month. And that's AFTER my $25 per month discount for being an AT&T wireless subscriber.

Reactions: kuito

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
I did the Apple TV with 3 month promo and I thought the service was fine. Using cable (as opposed to streaming on demand only) for the first time in nearly a decade I realized they totally missed an opportunity to differentiate themselves in the market.

Right now there are many streaming platforms (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc) and many cable over internet (xfinity, YouTube tv, sling tv, etc). No one lets you watch any local affiliate you want. I wouldn’t pay for cable TV, but I might pay that if I could watch local news where the event is occurring. Let me watch the commentators of the team I am rooting for.

As I get older I care a lot more about the stuff that will never get picked up by national broadcasts. Parades, news about small family businesses, local awards and high school victories. I have lived a lot of places and no one offers that sort of access.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Hey you guys wanna watch some TV with my new TV service AT&T TV NOW on my brand new TV that I got at the TV store?

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
My thought is that AT&T has been trying their best to make DirecTV Now cost the same as cable w/o any of the costs associated with running a Cable line to my house or having to service a satellite dish. They got all of us in the door with the AppleTV + $35 a month deal and continue to raise the prices on us despite saying we're grandfathered in. Eventually they're just going to shut the whole thing down so they can get rid of us who are paying the least amount and so we'll be compelled to sign up at a $70+ tier.

The problem is, as indicated in their last earnings where price increases caused them to lose subscribers, they don't realize that there is a ceiling to streaming prices. People don't want to pay $150 a month to one company like we all did in the cable days unless AT&T can get Hulu, Spotify, Netflix, Disney and HBO Go under one price, no one is going to give them $150 because when they charge $70 and everyone else charges $10-$15, consumers are already paying more now for streaming than they did with cable TV on top of what we're paying for monthly internet.

The price increases from AT&T, the re-branding and eventual killing of this service for a new one to eliminate grandfathered plans is going to hurt them considerably. There's a lot of choices out there for watching Bravo and E! and consumers are just going to jump to Hulu live.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Received an email about the name change last night. Not really sure why the name change, but I guess they want to keep their services the same name (AT&T Wireless, AT&T TV, etc.).

The thing is that Directv Now (for now) has been pretty stable. Granted we really only use the service for DVR'd shows and HBO. Although now that I read fuboTV will broadcast NFL games in 4K, I may be dropping AT&T TV Now come September.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
Streaming quality is terrible.
Pause, rewind etc features are either nonexistent or terrible.
The line-up is now terrible.
Pricing is bad.
YouTube TV is leaps and bounds better on every front.
I've used both extensively. It's not even close.
DirecTV old timers are probably happy to see their beloved brand dropped.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch