Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's been ten months since DirecTV Now ended its last Apple TV offer, and today the company has debuted a new version of the deal to coincide with its recently-launched subscription bundles. This time around, if new subscribers prepay for four months of DirecTV Now's cheapest subscription tier (now $50/month, due to price hikes), they'll get a 32GB Apple TV 4K at no extra cost.

directv-now-apple-tv-4k-offer.jpg

In the end, you'll be paying around $200 for four months of DirecTV Now and a brand new Apple TV 4K, which would traditionally total to $380. As with the previous deals, you can cancel your DirecTV Now subscription after you receive the Apple TV 4K, and still gain access to the service for the remainder of the first four months.

AT&T's resurfaced deal isn't as good as its previous incarnation, which required users to prepay for 3 months of DirecTV Now (previously priced at $35/month at its cheapest) to receive the 32GB Apple TV 4K at no cost, with the total price reaching $105. This meant you were getting the $179 Apple TV 4K discounted in addition to a few months of DirecTV Now.

The new $200 deal is more expensive than the $179 MSRP of a 32GB Apple TV 4K, so you'll need to be interested in DirecTV Now to get the most out of the offer. During its fourth quarter earnings report for 2018, DirecTV Now reported that it lost 267,000 subscribers. This was attributed to the closure of discount bundles like the original Apple TV 4K offer, so it appears the company is trying out a new version to entice new subscribers into signing up.

Those interested can head to DirecTV Now's website to find more information and place their order before the sale expires on April 30, 2019.

Article Link: DirecTV Now Revives Apple TV Deal: Prepay for Four Months ($200) and Get a 32GB Apple TV 4K at No Cost

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I was able to take advantage of the last offer, but stopped my subscription as soon as the three months were up, as the dvd function was poor, and I hardly ever watch live tv. Hopefully they have improved the service, as they have raised the rates now vs back then.

Reactions: DocMultimedia
Comment

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
DirecTV now has increased over 43% since July 2018. I'm cancelling mine after this month and switching to actual cable because it's the same price for twice as many channels, and more reliable.

Comment

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
As of yesterday, when my service was billed at $50 for the first time, they have lost 267,001 subscribers.

Comment

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It’s all about the price, programming and service efficiency. Right now DTVNow is failing on all.

Reactions: jent
Comment

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
I took advantage of the one month free trial — it ended yesterday. And, the service hasn’t been good. It still freezes every so often. Its not worth the $50 monthly fee, IMO.

Comment

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
DirecTV now has increased over 43% since July 2018. I'm cancelling mine after this month and switching to actual cable because it's the same price for twice as many channels, and more reliable.

Shop around, Cable can not hold a candle to streaming considering they still require fees per box, make you pay for channels you may never watch and tax you with mystery fees and one year low deals that lead you to calling them up
and begging for a new deal....

Comment

JustinM80

Suspended
Feb 16, 2019
I have a friend who works for Directv in the NOW department. AT&T is forcing the hikes to kill the service and try to route everyone over to WatchTV. Currently WatchTV is available to current ATT subscribers but that will change in June. It will start at $35 a month with 90 channels at that time.

Comment

iReality85

Contributor
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
Not with the new packages not even close to being worth it. RIP DTVN

The new packages are terrible. If there's an example of "paying more and getting less" this is it.

I dropped DTVN earlier this month and went with YTtv. DTVN being moved up to $50/mo (old low tier package) and they STILL didn't offer all my local channels (after 2 years), and very limited DVR. Good riddance.

While the channel package of YTtv isn't quite as good as DTVN, I at least have all my local channels now and unlimited DVR, for $40/mo. Better UI too.

Comment

SuperMatt

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2002
This was previously a good deal when you only needed to get 3 months at $35 a month. Now, not so much. I was glad to get my Apple TV 4K at a discount, but the app for DTV wasn't that great, and worst of all - No NFL Sunday Ticket!!!!!

Comment

scuac

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I have a friend who works for Directv in the NOW department. AT&T is forcing the hikes to kill the service and try to route everyone over to WatchTV. Currently WatchTV is available to current ATT subscribers but that will change in June. It will start at $35 a month with 90 channels at that time.

What a genius business strategy. Tarnish your brand by driving your existing customers away with shenanigans and then try to pull a switcharoo and hope they will come back. Why couldn’t the simply rebrand the service? What was the need to kill the previous one?

Comment

Baggy Spandex

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
I struggle to jump aboard the streaming bandwagon. My FiOS bill for TV and internet come to around $108 after taxes per month. Granted I don't have movie channels or DVR, but I can watch my local sports and what I need. To get just internet alone with Verizon it would cost me around $70 plus tax, and any of these streaming services would just let me break even if I'm lucky, or even cost me more.

Comment

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I guess good luck with that. The new plan is more expensive than it was a year ago AND comes with less channels then the old Live A Little plan.

Comment

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Unless you're looking for a streaming service, this deal is crap. That last one was great because I got an ATV for $75 off. My guess is DTV lost a bunch of money on that last deal, as most people probably cancelled and just wanted the cheap ATV.

Comment

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
This was a good deal when the channel lineup was good. Now it sucks.

Comment

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Seems streaming companies business model assumes that customers in this time want to only use one service for content. That’s a terrible assumption. I have Spotify with Hulu, $9.95, Vudu free movies, GPM with YouTube $9.95, Roku free movies, Prime video included with Prime, ESPN, local channels, Pluto TV, everything I need.

Comment

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
" This time around, if new subscribers prepay for four months of DirecTV Now's cheapest subscription tier (now $50/month"
Not a good deal if the goal is to pick up a 'free' Apple TV or even for 'cheap' TV access since you still need internet service - I am still keeping my FIOS connection of 900 up/down and 'free' international calling

Comment

Apple Master

Suspended
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I had Direct TV now for a few months and it’s terrible. I switched back to Sling TV for now. Direct TV Now doesn’t even have a telephone number for live tech support. Lol.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.