Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey Edwin,

Having a problem with the G27 and Dirt 3. Wheel is pulling hard to the right no matter what. Works great with Dirt 2, Grid 2, Grid, F1 2012, F1 2013. But I have to put the "Wheel Strength" to "0" to get rid of it and that kills the feel of slip.

As far as the game, I am using the "Ultra" preset and the game runs without a hiccup and looks gorgeous. If I can get this game to work as well with the G27 as the other Feral racing titles it will be perfection!

We haven't seen that here but I'll ask someone to have a look see if it's something in your settings. Do you have anything none standard (like a FFB plugin from 4 years ago installed?) :)

Edwin

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
We haven't seen that here but I'll ask someone to have a look see if it's something in your settings. Do you have anything none standard (like a FFB plugin from 4 years ago installed?) :)

Edwin

I do have the FFB kext installed. I will play around with a few things to see if something is conflicting. Hopefully I can get the wheel to work with FFB installed. Maybe it is something simple that I am missing.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I do have the FFB kext installed. I will play around with a few things to see if something is conflicting. Hopefully I can get the wheel to work with FFB installed. Maybe it is something simple that I am missing.

We can reproduce it with the FFB kext installed (wheels work great without the old KEXT from 10.6 installed), it could be the FFB kext is starting to show it's age (it's been 4 OS releases since it was supported). However next time we're in the wheel code we'll take a look. If it's simple we'll look at fixing it however I do think at some stage that kext is going to no longer work :(

Edwin

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Bought it via the MAS and it's running perfectly with max settings on:

• Mac Pro '08 (this Mac got a MOMO Racing force feedback wheel attached full time, FF Kext applied)
• Radeon 7950 Mac Edition (Netkas hack applied so that the grfx card runs full speed)
• OS X Mavericks 10.9.5
• 16 GB RAM
• SSD

• Apple 24" LED Display (1920 x 1200)

Just played a few Single Player races and it's great! Super graphics and fun gameplay. Love the "mix" between SIM and Arcade. Fidling around with the difficulty settings makes the game really enjoyable.
Also much better menus etc. than Dirt 2.

What is this netkas hack that you mention?

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I do think at some stage that kext is going to no longer work :(Edwin

This is a huge concern of mine going forward as I find driving games without the forcefeedback ruin the experience. It really needs someone to write a modern driver - I'd swap my logitech wheel for any brand that gave forcefeedback support.

Somehow they managed to get FFB working in recent versions of Wine (now works in R Factor with Crossover) without me installing any Logitech software so maybe an enterprising programmer could use that code for inspiration.

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
What is this netkas hack that you mention?

You can find it here.

It's about the fact that OS X Mavericks and Yosemite (Mountain Lion was not affected) have an issue regarding the (officially unsupported...) Radeon 7950 in a Mac Pro 3.1 ('08).

It seems that two kexts are slowing the card down.
I have removed the mentioned kexts and it really does work (best to test by running Unigine's benchmark apps).

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
We can reproduce it with the FFB kext installed (wheels work great without the old KEXT from 10.6 installed), it could be the FFB kext is starting to show it's age (it's been 4 OS releases since it was supported). However next time we're in the wheel code we'll take a look. If it's simple we'll look at fixing it however I do think at some stage that kext is going to no longer work :(

Edwin

I think you might be right about the kext which would be heartbreaking! I simply can't play without FFB and I really don't want to play racing games on the PC.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I think you might be right about the kext which would be heartbreaking! I simply can't play without FFB and I really don't want to play racing games on the PC.

Yeah that makes two of us at least - Feral bringing the F1's, GRID's and DIRT's, not to mention others like your own Auto sport driving were finally making the Mac really great for racing fans something I'd wanted to see happen for years only for Logitech to drop support and then no one else taking over the market and offering a Force feedback wheel solution...

I'm also not really interested in buying and maintaining a Windows install or investing in one of the consoles when my Mac has been doing a great job for games it's a real shame.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

This gives me a good reason not to upgrade my good ol' 08 Mac Pro to Yosemite (got a '13 iMac 27" for that).
No issues running 10.9.5

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Patiently waiting for the Steam version for online multiplayer!
It is estimated to be released this month - so anytime in the next couple weeks! Hopefully sooner rather than later!!

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
So according to the Feral twitter page Dirt 3 'should' be on Steam in the next week or two.

In the meantime can anyone tell me how Dirt 3 performs compared to Grid 2?
Or at least how we can expect it to perform compared with Grid 2?
I know the system requirements and they seem to be virtually the same... but can we expect Dirt 3 to be more intensive or less or the same when it comes to graphic requirements?

Thanks

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
So according to the Feral twitter page Dirt 3 'should' be on Steam in the next week or two.

In the meantime can anyone tell me how Dirt 3 performs compared to Grid 2?
Or at least how we can expect it to perform compared with Grid 2?
I know the system requirements and they seem to be virtually the same... but can we expect Dirt 3 to be more intensive or less or the same when it comes to graphic requirements?

Thanks

Pretty much the same, in some ways a little faster. Depends on your hardware.

Mattww

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Great to see this now out - just picked it up on Steam and played for around an hour or so.

It was also a huge relief that despite the pre-game window not showing any controller connected my Logitech Formula Force EX wheel was seen in the game control settings screen and the Force Feedback is still working :)

I did recently move my wheel to it's own port on my USB 3 PCI-E card so this may be part of it. This was because after the 10.10.2 update (I think it was then) it started moving on it's own outside games - I used to have it connected via the hub in the Apple keyboard. I changed the port after spotting USB errors in the console.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Edwin,

It looks like the PC version of Dirt 3 has the same issue with steering wheel. You can read about it here...

Has Feral looked into this anymore?

Yes we've known about it since the PC bug was revealed on the Steam forums, quite likely the PC bug might effect the Mac hacked drivers as well. Once the PC bug has been fixed we'll integrate and see if that fixes the bug or if the Mac issue isn't related to the PC bug.

[Update] Initial testing indicates that fixing the PC bug means the unsupported Mac FFB support for wheels will also be fixed. We'll look to implement this fix inside the next patch for DiRT 3.

Last edited:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Patiently waiting for the Steam version for online multiplayer!
It is estimated to be released this month - so anytime in the next couple weeks! Hopefully sooner rather than later!!

Hi bmac,

Does the normal app store purchase not have MP?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Hi bmac,

Does the normal app store purchase not have MP?

Hi Bodie,

The Mac App Store version has split screen multiplayer only - It does not have online multiplayer.

However, the Steam version has online multiplayer as well as the split screen multiplayer. The Steam version is out now and I have bought it... although I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Hi Bodie,

The Mac App Store version has split screen multiplayer only - It does not have online multiplayer.

However, the Steam version has online multiplayer as well as the split screen multiplayer. The Steam version is out now and I have bought it... although I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Hi bmac, and thank you!

I think in that case it might be best if I purchase it on Steam, then.

Thanks for the heads up :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
1.0.3 released - Enables LAN play between Mac AppStore and Steam versions of the game and fixes an issue people had with the unofficial FFB drivers for Logitech wheels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.