Disable Apple's Kill Switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lavrishevo, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Many whom have jailbroken the 3G probably know this but to those who do not jailbreaking allows you to disable Apple's kill switch for 3rd party app's.

I know many are worried about breaking their phone but I have yet to hear of anyone causing any kind of permanent damage to their phone using the Pwnage tool.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know this great benefit. I for one want Apple to have zero ability to manipulate anything on my phone at their choosing.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They won't turn off legitimate software. The "Kill Switch" is for apps that after approval it is found cause problems or steal your data.

Turning off the kill switch is a bad idea.

TEG

3. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Any app that is bad could just be manually deleted at the users discretion. Not that I feel the need to run out and jailbreak because of this.

4. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I think people are making to much of this kill switch. It is a good idea. Everyone is worried about their privacy and they say that the kill switch violates that. Well the whole point of the kill switch is to save your privacy so the rouge apps can be disabled the moment they are found to be a problem.

5. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

This is your opinion of what Apple does but the reality is that Apple makes these decisions. I don't think it a bad idea personally because I don't want Apple meddling with my phone. I am sure if I downloaded a program that was 'bad' for my phone their would be plenty of talk on here on other places that I can easily remove it myself.

Another example is Netshare is great for me. I travel a ton and paying often 10.99 a day at hotels is ridiculous if I am paying $30.00 a month just for data. Now I am not abusing the system by trying to download hundreds of mb's of info but for other business needs. Again, the last thing I want is Apple deciding they no longer want me to have this program...

6. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

When did Apple ever say they were going to use the kill switch for anything besides malicious software? Maybe the best way to disable the kill switch is to wrap your iPhone (and head) in tinfoil.

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I believe tethering your iPhone is a violation of your contract with AT&T.

8. kolax macrumors G3

You are completely missing the point.

A legit application won't get deleted. The whole point is, if a malicious application made its way onto the App Store and had the potential to do harm or gather personal details, Apple has the power to kill it before it becomes a huge widespread problem.

What is so bad about that? Apple isn't going to start deleting applications for no reason.

Seriously, you are looking into this too much and getting too paranoid.

9. automatickyle macrumors regular

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The Apple Kill-Switch is a good idea, you just think of what happens to one iphone (jailbroken) not the entire population of iphones. just because something doesn't affect you in particular doesn't mean that the same app wont affect somebody else. I think Apple is not stupid enough to "meddle" with my phone (if i had one).

What if you can't figure out how to remove it? then you're ****ed unless you want to put up with whatever bad things happen because of that app. The Kill-Switch hasnt been used yet, and it does not do anything to your personal data should you have any.

11. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

2nd that motion

I'm not sure why everyone is convinced Apple is going to delete apps that aren't malicious.....or spy on them or whatever.....

Then again maybe Steve built this in so if he is having a bad day he can pick a random user's iPhone and just delete some apps so they are having a worse day then he is......

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

God forbid you do anything ATT tells you not to.

13. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

LOL! Of course we could just re-sync our phones...

Can't touch me unless there's an iTunes kill-switch as well, Stevie Boy....:eek::D

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

kill switch=bad

You people are naive to think that Apple won't use it to kill any app they deem unworthy.

15. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I don't think re-syncing is going to help in the long run when it will just be deleted again.

Look I am not saying Apple would use this tool to steal data from my phone, I just don't like them having the ability to do what they wish.

They may never put the kill switch to Netshare or other fantastic programs that for some reason they do not like, but if they do many many people will be flipping out while those who zapped this ability are still enjoying the app(s).

Anyway, I am not here to argue just wanted to let everyone know of this ability.

Also, why would you not want to have awesome theme's. Theme's will probably never be available through the app store.

Attached Files:

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yup.

And lookie here. We have an example of a program that Apple doesn't want us to have (they took it off the store) and yet they have NOT used the kill switch on it!

I daresay that the Netshare story is proof of the fact that we CAN trust Apple with the Kill Switch. They didn't even use it on a program they don't want us to have. What more assurence do we need that they'll only use it on dangerous programs?

17. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Or you're certainly free to do whatever you want to. You'll just have to pay for the consequence if you get caught. :)

18. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

They haven't killed NetShare have they? They deemed that unworthy as you put it....... so on what are you basing your argument?? I was unaware that you had a knowledge of what Apple was planning on doing with the kill switch.

If i had to bet I would think they are going to use it just as they say they are....to terminate malicious apps and malicious apps only. Until they prove otherwise I would have to say you have no basis for you argument.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is like asking 'why don't you paint your car different colors?'

Sure, that'd be COOL, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I'm glad you enjoy it, but most of us aren't going to put in that much effort for something so minor.

20. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

The problem with your line of thought is that the so-called "kill-switch" ability was implemented for a specific purpose, which is to purge apps that somehow make it through the AppStore screening process and either steal personal data belonging to you or corrupt your phone in some way. Now, let's say this does happen and a rogue program actually gets installed on millions of phones and it cannot, for one reason or another be removed otherwise EXCEPT for the kill-switch..well, then it would be a saving-grace for Apple, who could dodge the incoming lawsuits that would be getting thrown at them.

Sorry, but it's hard to believe that if you disabled your kill-switch on your own, and your phone had a malicious program that you for one reason or another couldn't remove, and which Apple can't remove either because you disabled your kill-switch...i'd be willing to bet you'd be one of the first in line at an Apple Store, raising hell and demanding an exchange, claiming it's unacceptable for such a program to have made its way on your phone and putting the blame on Apple for not doing anything about it and that the program is still on your phone. I highly doubt you'd stand idly by with a bricked phone or a phone with a malicious program that is stealing your personal data and say, "aw shucks, it was my own fault." :rolleyes:

21. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I understand what you are saying but as far as that much effort I don't know where you get this from. Jailbreaking the phone takes all of 1/2 an hour and it is not like I designed the theme's myself, just click and install....

There are some pretty cool 3rd party app's available for free for the iPhone everything from photo effects to video recording and uploading to the net. As time goes by more and more app's will be available open source and free of charge. There are many benefits to jailbreaking the phone. Now I am sounding like a commercial..... lol.

22. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Funny those who do not know how jailbreaking works and the comments they make. I have total access to the file system on the phone and can delete, restore, use the phone as a portable hard drive, or do whatever I wish. This to me is fantastic. Maybe for others it is not. I am more then willing to take the risk of not allowing Apple to delete 'malicious' code and be responsible for this on my own.

It would have been a bad bet anyway.... :)

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not the jailbreaking itself...the constant keeping-up with what's going on in that community.

What's the most recent version? An iTunes up date is out...should I download it yet? Can I load the new iPhone software yet? Or will that break my phone? Will app-store compatibility continue...gotta go to the blogs to find out! Problem? Well my friend took her iPod to the Apple store, but that's not an option for me.

Now, I'm always here, so I'm not saying I wouldn't do that. I'm just explaining why 99% of iPhone users are going to continue to remain un-interested in it. It's a small benefit for something that requires constant attention to what's going on in the community. Not worth it to most people.

24. lavrishevo thread starter macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I can understand this. For instance I am running 2.0.1 but it runs fantastic, 3G is fast, and it does not crash like 2.0 did.

For each their own.

25. kolax macrumors G3

I hope you aren't referring to the "I Am Rich" application...