HomePod Disable HomePod as a Home Hub

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Is this possible or are they automatically used as Home Hubs? I know you can disable Apple TV’s and iPads but haven’t seen the option in settings or Home app for the HomePod, unless I’m missing something. I definitely notice performance differences in what’s currently connected as the Hub and I’m trying to prevent my HomePods from automatically taking on the that task. Seems like my Ethernet connected ATV works the best.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You really shouldn't see performance differences. The Home Hub is just the remote access to your network. ALL of the hubs are functioning to extend the range of your HomeKits reach (BT).

To directly answer your question, no you can't turn off Home functionality on the HomePod. The HomePod walks a line between AirPlay 2 and HomeKit functions when controlling TV's and speakers so its a required function.

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You really shouldn't see performance differences. The Home Hub is just the remote access to your network. ALL of the hubs are functioning to extend the range of your HomeKits reach (BT).

To directly answer your question, no you can't turn off Home functionality on the HomePod. The HomePod walks a line between AirPlay 2 and HomeKit functions when controlling TV's and speakers so its a required function.
Thanks for the answer. I really want to believe there is no difference in which current device is the connected hub but after several observations over the past year or more, I noticed that when a particular Hub is connected, I would get camera sensor notifications at times when they’re supposed to be disabled, automations wouldn’t fire as intended, certain devices would show “No Response”, Logi Circle 2’s would not be viewable remotely. Coincidence? Who knows. My network has been the same the whole time. I don’t have any Bluetooth HomeKit devices currently but didn’t know they acted as an extender. That’s good to know.

pup

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2009
Yeah I think it matters. My HomeKit stuff works more reliably without my HomePod than with. Whether that's a problem with having more than one hub or just another issue with a half baked HomePod is anyones guess.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for the answer. I really want to believe there is no difference in which current device is the connected hub but after several observations over the past year or more, I noticed that when a particular Hub is connected, I would get camera sensor notifications at times when they’re supposed to be disabled, automations wouldn’t fire as intended, certain devices would show “No Response”, Logi Circle 2’s would not be viewable remotely. Coincidence? Who knows. My network has been the same the whole time. I don’t have any Bluetooth HomeKit devices currently but didn’t know they acted as an extender. That’s good to know.
I definitely can't argue your experience.

However Homekit accessory protocol (HAP) use existing Wifi and Bluetooth stacks to communicate to devices. A wifi device like the Logitech cameras are using your wifi network, they are just communicating via HAP.

I'll add my personal experience.

Bluetooth isn't inherent to home networks obviously. Since my door lock is HomeKit using Bluetooth I have to use a HomePod to reach it. As you can tell my HomePods are in standby, if I disconnect the right HomePod I can't talk communicate with the lock at all when I'm not home.

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I definitely can't argue your experience.

However Homekit accessory protocol (HAP) use existing Wifi and Bluetooth stacks to communicate to devices. A wifi device like the Logitech cameras are using your wifi network, they are just communicating via HAP.

I'll add my personal experience.

Bluetooth isn't inherent to home networks obviously. Since my door lock is HomeKit using Bluetooth I have to use a HomePod to reach it. As you can tell my HomePods are in standby, if I disconnect the right HomePod I can't talk communicate with the lock at all when I'm not home.
Interesting about the Bluetooth stuff. I was always skeptical about using Bluetooth HomeKit devices for the range deficiency. Now that you mention, my lock is Bluetooth actually... and WiFi. The Yale Assure Connected by August. Forgot about that.

malcky77

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2019
I have not personally noticed any difference between what device is used as the main hub in my house....though I’ve only had my 2 HomePods for a month whereas I’ve had my 4K ATV used as the only hub prior to that for nearly a year when I first got into the hue lights.
one thing you can do though is just reboot the HomePod or homepods until your ATV becomes the main hub and that will/should remain the hub until it’s restarted....which for me only happens when doing a firmware update on the ATV.

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have not personally noticed any difference between what device is used as the main hub in my house....though I’ve only had my 2 HomePods for a month whereas I’ve had my 4K ATV used as the only hub prior to that for nearly a year when I first got into the hue lights.
one thing you can do though is just reboot the HomePod or homepods until your ATV becomes the main hub and that will/should remain the hub until it’s restarted....which for me only happens when doing a firmware update on the ATV.
That only works temporarily for me. I have four ATV 4Ks, two HomePods and a wall mounted iPad as Hubs. For some reason, I get awful HomeKit performance from three of the ATVs and one of them persistently insists on being the Hub. I went on a disable frenzy yesterday leaving one ATV (Ethernet connected which seems to have the best HomeKit performance in my observations) and the two HomePods (which I can’t disable). One of the HomePods latched on as the Hub last night and it actually seems to be working great for now. Always like to have multiple Hubs on standby though after my only hub at one point in time (an ATV 4 K) just bricked out of nowhere. Not sure why the difference in performance between Hubs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.