Disable shake cursor?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Tamagotchi, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Hi,

Is there a way to disable this feature? It's driving me crazy.

I use my rMBP on the 27" LED Cinema Display with a Steelseries mouse. I have the tracking speed quite high (as it takes for ever to move the cursor from one side of the screen to the other with the default tracking speed).

The cursor will become enormous all the time, just by moving the mouse to one side without shaking it. Even for small precise movements it becomes big (like moving the cursor 3 inches to the create threat button on this website).

Many thanks in advance!

2. spaghettieater macrumors newbie

spaghettieater

the more people complain sooner apple will add the option to disable that stupidity

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Or at least lower its sensitivity.

4. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502

Jmausmuc

I Need an option to disable that crap immediately. It is horrible when using a big screen.
    Also it's a gimmick I never wanted anyways. Makes the OS look unprofessional.

5. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

The more people provide feedback directly to Apple the more likely there is to be an option to disable it.
    Complaining on MacRumors ain't gonna change anything!

And there's already a topic on this subject:
    Disabling shake-to-find-cursor?

6. chama98 macrumors regular

How is it that you think it makes it unprofessional? I found it very useful especially on a large screen and trying to find the pointer difficult.

7. spaghettieater macrumors newbie

spaghettieater

its faster 2 find it , if u start using ur eyes then the time it takes to shake the mouse to get it big , plus
    u dont need to find it just move ur hand towards what u want to click on
    and as u see the mouse come out of nowhere readjust ur target ull save alot of time ,

8. chama98 macrumors regular

How about somebody who is partially sighted? I think what you have written is rubbish. Just because Apple have added a good feature everyone pooh poohs it! Ridiculous!

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

What he wrote is unintelligible. A dictionary would be a good start.

10. ostrykolesz macrumors member

The shake cursor is ridiculous. Maybe it makes sense on a 27" Mac, but on a notebook...

11. KALLT macrumors 601

But they are spot on. Once you start moving the pointer, your eyes will quickly see it. You won’t have time or even need to shake your mouse to do this. Also, if you just focus on what you are trying to click on, the mouse will come to your target almost instinctively. We have used pointers for so many years now, there is really no need for this feature, i.e. there is no need for it to be enabled by default.

I do, however, accept that it’s potentially an accessibility feature. Windows has a similar optional feature for as long as I can remember (a keyboard shortcut to highlight your pointer with an animated circle). I don’t know any people who actually use it though. Making this optional is the sensible approach to something that most people likely won’t need.

12. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

13. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I agree that this should have an option even though I like the feature and never really trigger it when unwanted. (Tracking setting is usually around 3/4)

But I also think if Apple added options to everything people wanted or wish they wanted both OS X and iOS menus and sub menus would be miles long.

Again though I do think this deserves the option. It could already have the option in their internal builds at Apple (since companies are typically 2-3 builds ahead of what's offered to dev/public betas.)

14. spaghettieater macrumors newbie

spaghettieater

sure then that can be an extra feauture in disability, but not on by default since most people arent partialy sighted

not everyone is poo poo on it because its a good feature,
    its just lots of people think this is feature that gets in the way while not brining anything good for most people

15. seble macrumors 6502a

There's probably a terminal command somewhere to disable it

16. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I can see there being a checkbox to disable the feature in upcoming releases.

17. dyn macrumors 68030

Ah so that's why in the real world lots of people can't find their mouse pointer and I still have to point it out to them where it is... If you've lost your cursor the worst thing you could possibly do is to actually start moving it because you'll completely lose track of it. What you need to do is keep it in the same position and move it a little. This is known as "shaking". We humans can see small movements in a certain position quicker than something tiny that is moving over a large area.

So yes, Apple has this one spot on except maybe for the sensitivity. It doesn't take that much to shake it. Could be nicer if you had to press the cmd key and shake it or something like that.

Which is very annoying because Microsoft didn't really think about it. You need to press the ctrl key...a key that is used in most of the key combo's in Windows and thus something you continuously activate. If they combine this with the Apple way you'd get something that actually works without becoming annoying.