Disabling shake-to-find-cursor?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America
Does anyone know of a way to disable the "shake to locate cursor" feature in El Capitan? I'm not on the beta yet, but was wondering about this.

EDIT: It appears that it has been found! I'm not on the El Capitan beta, so I can't test it. Here's the code:

Code:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences CGDisableCursorLocationMagnification -bool YES
This was first posted in this thread by @ps3zocker. Hopefully this works!

Last edited:

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
You can

You can. If you're a graphic designer for example painting with the mouse.
That's a very good point that I overlooked. Maybe Apple will add an option to disable the feature in future releases.

Wouldn't a graphic designer be using a tablet device? Do we know whether this 'shake to find' feature appears when scribbling with a connected tablet?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Maybe in the accessibility settings? That's where I would look.

Is it actually useful? I was scratching my head when Federighi showed this 'feature'. It's something I would expect to find in the 'All the little things' thread, not in a keynote.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America

Is it actually useful? I was scratching my head when Federighi showed this 'feature'. It's something I would expect to find in the 'All the little things' thread, not in a keynote.
I would think there's some kind of command you can put in the Terminal to disable it.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
I agree there should be a way to disable it, at least to keep myself from playing with it :)
The idea behind it makes sense (it's possible to lose track of where the cursor is, especially on larger screens), but the truth is that it isn't a hugely needed feature. Otherwise it would have been added long before now.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

It's probably a big deal for people with 6 monitors.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I agree there should be a way to disable it, at least to keep myself from playing with it :)

The idea behind it makes sense (it's possible to lose track of where the cursor is, especially on larger screens), but the truth is that it isn't a hugely needed feature. Otherwise it would have been added long before now.
It definitely happens all the time on bigger screens but also if you're on a dark screen since the cursor is black. As you shake, the white border becomes more thicker and easy to find.

I am using it dozens of time per day to find my cursor already so far. My family constantly do the shake to find their cursor. So, this is a brilliant feature to have.

Reactions: Skoal

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
I agree with what others are saying. This is handy, and very useful, especially the mouse is hiding somewhere on the screen.

Reactions: Skoal

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
That's a very good point that I overlooked. Maybe Apple will add an option to disable the feature in future releases.

Wouldn't a graphic designer be using a tablet device? Do we know whether this 'shake to find' feature appears when scribbling with a connected tablet?
The shake to find feature does activate when using a Wacom tablet (no matter what you do, it is simply disabled), only the mouse. So, not really an issue for those using tablets, but I can imagine if anyone is using a mouse in that way it can be a problem.

Reactions: LewisChapman

matov

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Seville
I have 2 large screens and I find it very useful. Switching to windows and already missing the feature.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
When you present things or even simply try to show something to your office mates, you frequently perform a circling gesture. The mouse enlargement is quite annoying then.

I would like to have an option to turn it off too. That's what betas are here for.

Submit a feedback to apple. The only question is how. Why do they make it so difficult? Is there another way than bugreporter?

Reactions: jxt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.