Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Autocorrect is great when you communicate in a single language, but please remember that a lot of people live a bilingual or multilingual life.

<snip>

This is the worst conceivable implementation of spell checking in history, because it's based on a "guilty until proven innocent" principle. I'm usually very much innocent of typos and I shouldn't have to prove to the bleedin' phone that I actually know what I'm typing. I'll be happy to take suggestions for words, though.

Um ... have you tried adding the Spanish (or any international) keyboard? :rolleyes:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Being able to view and edit the dictionary would be great in addition to having the option to disable the autocorrection.
You can add words to the dictionary by adding them as contacts' names or nicknames. I have an entire category in my address book called "Spelling" and my own, user-created "All" category as well (which excludes the Spelling entries, of course) ... Kind of a hack, but works well. ;)

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Um ... have you tried adding the Spanish (or any international) keyboard? :rolleyes:
I've tried English, Swedish and Swedish+English, yeah.

Doesn't help.

The thing with two enabled keyboards is that ever so often, one dictionary tries to override the other. When I write in English it will often replace English words with Swedish words, and vice versa, and when I throw in the occasional English word in Swedish text (like, I dunno, "cool"), it will attempt to replace it with a Swedish word.

In short, it's a mess.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've tried English, Swedish and Swedish+English, yeah.

Doesn't help.

The thing with two enabled keyboards is that ever so often, one dictionary tries to override the other. When I write in English it will often replace English words with Swedish words, and vice versa, and when I throw in the occasional English word in Swedish text (like, I dunno, "cool"), it will attempt to replace it with a Swedish word.

In short, it's a mess.

hahaha ... ya kinda, I guess. I mean, I think most dictionaries would have a hard time if you're bouncing around multiple different languages mid-sentence.

But you're right ... the iPhone should just know exactly what you're thinking. ;)

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I'm Swedish and I write in English half of the time, as I have a lot of foreign clients, colleagues and friends. We also use numerous English terms in daily speech (especially tech terminology) that haven't made it into the Swedish dictionary, and the iPhone insists on replacing these with all sorts of senseless stuff, and you only notice when the recipient responds "what do you mean 'Please milk my hello oven'? Are you high?"

Okay, first, great example. I laughed but I can see where that would be a problem.

While I like the idea of adding to the dictionary, I think the option to disable is probably a good compromise.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
But you're right ... the iPhone should just know exactly what you're thinking. ;)
But that's just it -- it couldn't possibly know, but it tries anyway. :p

By asking for an option to disable the autocorrection we are in fact asking for the ability to disable a piece of very dimwitted AI. Or just giving it the courtesy to ask first and destroy text later. On / Off, or Passive / Active, or Pre / Post.

Okay, first, great example. I laughed but I can see where that would be a problem.
I laughed too, but the phrase came out of my subconscious so I may have to see someone about that. ;)

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Not the most elegant solution but this works quite well.

Enable caps lock in the keyboard options. Hit shift twice. Type away, the phone will not attempt to correct anything in caps mode.

sozekizer

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2007
i'm with the overwhelming majority on this one. don't disable auto-correct but add a customizable dictionary.

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
Agreed.
It's maybe 5% annoyance, but 95% life-saver/time-saver.

...However, I would MUCH rather have the ability to add words to the dictionary quicker. The whole "type it enough times and it gets added" approach is unreliable and unpredictable...

+1!

jensepollense

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2007
Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I have to agree that typing in two different languages can be a pain. I write in english to all my friends but when testing my family I write in german. It just sucks when it wants to suggest words that I've used while typing english. I wish it would keep the two separate.

Also, adding to the dictionary would be a nice feature.

dulnan

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I understand all the only-English speaking people. Auto-Correction is a nice feature!
BUT: Here in Switzerland we speak & write Swiss-German... And NOT German! It's a big difference; there's no orthography for example. You write it like you say it. And everybody speaks/writes different, so there can not be a dictionary or something like that.

The petition is called "Let US disable...".
It wouldn't be much to do for Apple, just a simple On/Off Switch.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Here in Switzerland we speak & write Swiss-German... And NOT German! It's a big difference; there's no orthography for example. You write it like you say it.

Actually, that's not true. Swiss-German is a spoken language. There's no orthography because no reasonable man would ever write in that language. Who would ever want to read something like that:

Bi ois idr schdat schiint halzunne di ganz nacht. :rolleyes:

dulnan

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Actually, that's not true. Swiss-German is a spoken language. There's no orthography because no reasonable man would ever write in that language. Who would ever want to read something like that:

Bi ois idr schdat schiint halzunne di ganz nacht. :rolleyes:

I want! :)
I mean, every Swiss-speaking person writes SMS, mails or messages in communities in Swiss-German. I often do this on my iPhone, so auto-correction annoys me.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I don't. :)

You can turn off auto-correction by typing any letter, and than moving back one character (with the looking-glass). No need for a petition. :)

snverhallen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
I was browsing through macosxhints.com and I came upon this little workaround.

The auto-correct feature is tied to the language that you are typing in. If you disable your English keyboard, the auto-correct feature will be disabled. But the iPhone will not allow you to disable the default keyboard if only one is activated. So all you have to do is activate at least one more keyboard, and you are good to go. As both my girlfriend and I have a need to type in Japanese, we both have Japanese keyboards enabled, so we were already set.

But in general, this is the workaround:
Home Screen » Settings » General » Keyboard » International Keyboards. Here you can turn on your alternate Keyboard. Try the Japanese QWERTY keyboard, for instance.

After turning on your alternate keyboard, you just turn the slider to "off" for the keyboard where you want to disable autocorrect.

ORIGINAL LINK

snverhallen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.