Disabling 3G gives me much improved battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajarnfalang, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

I can get abuot 30 minutes more juice out of my phone with 3G turned off.

It is way easier on your battery.

I am getting between 16-20 kB/s EDGE speed which is great for the apps and fine for browsing.

It's also EDGE which is unlimited. 3G i get up to 5.6mbps (3 gigabyte limit).

I live in Thailand and the 3G coverage is "limited" coverage. Exactly as explained by Apple, and it really works. I turn it on if I am downloading an App, the EDGE is slow due to high peak hours, or if I am tethering.

So, really take a look at

Advice by Apple really works.

2. jasonforisrael macrumors regular

duh ; )

it says so right in your iphone settings

3. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

It does, but you know, it's like manuals. Nobody reads that crap :)

[​IMG]

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

30 minutes extra does not equal a lot imo. :)

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Is 3G worth disabling for long periods on standby, or not really that noticeably of batt save?

6. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

7. sirslaysalot macrumors member

i think apple should add an option to do this in the background. ie switch to 3g when surfing the web and automatically switch back to edge when in standby.

8. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

I notice it too since I have push.

9. pittpanthersfan macrumors 6502

pittpanthersfan

10. ajarnfalang, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

It is for me because I've been using it a lot since I woke up. It's 11am now (on since 4.40am)

So usage almost 2 hours and standby 6 hours 10 minutes, downloaded a total of 13.3MB and it's still on 72%.

I don't have my brightness turned down, I just have it on Adjust Automatically so my screen is always pretty bright.

I was emailing and on the internet a lot in the morning.

I would have been maybe on 62% on 3G by now.

My Blackberry used to say GSM800 when I got a call and then switch back to EDGE.

The iPhone shows you a little circle.

Problem with EDGE is that it can't do internet and voice at the same time. So, if someone happens to call you when you are on the internet or on an app when it's getting info from the internet they will get your voicemail.

11. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

12. ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

Right. Thanks for the info.

All phones show something when you get a call. Doesn't say EDGE or 3G, because you are getting a call.

When on EDGE, you can't get a call if it has data activity. That's the point I was trying to make.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any big difference in call quality

13. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

14. ajarnfalang, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

ajarnfalang thread starter macrumors regular

I forget you guys are probably back home in the USA.

I live in Thailand now.

You guys get really screwed on your monthly payments.

Here all phones are unlocked. No contracts (and very expensive). I signed up for a monthly Post-Paid iPhone package. I can cancel anytime.

Basically I pay about $20 per month for unlimited EDGE, 3G, 300 free call minutes, 300 free SMS and 50 free MMS.

Calls and SMS are charged at 1.25 Thai baht = 0.04 US dollars per SMS and Calls.

I can tether and use my phone on EDGE all I want to. 3G is limited to 3GB per month. EDGE gives average 20 kB/s speed. 3G I get about 4-5.6 mbps average speed. Accounts reset on the 9th 12:00am every month. So, if you go over 3GB on 3G, speed goes down to EDGE (256kbps) and on the 9th at midnight is goes back to normal.

Here's my package with True Move. Prices of course are in Thai Baht.

29 Baht = 1 $USD

[​IMG]

Oh yes, and as you can see, I also get unlimited WiFi. Every single mall here has a TrueMove WiFi hotspot.

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's true that people don't RTFM...

But why would people read a post that's several times longer.

16. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

lol exactly my thinking!

17. aleni macrumors 68020

turn off your phone and keep it in the shelf even extend more battery life.

this might be the issue with iPhone 3G or 3GS, but since i got my iPhone 4, i turn all them on (loc services, push, 3G (even when im at home with wifi), and wifi) and i still got 8 hours of usage and 1 day plus 11 hours of standby. but only 6 hours if i play a bit of 3D games with that though.

i turn off battery percentage indicator to make my worrying thinking is thing of a past. turning off your battery indiicator really works great! it's some kind of physicologic ****. because when you have battery percentage indicator on, u always keep checking how much battery you still got hence you turn on the phone to look at that and you press the sleep button again.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

And in other news - the United States has put a man on the moon

19. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

so the moderators delete posts that say this is obvious info but allow spam threads like this to exist ?

Hey guys did you know that lowering the brightness on your screen increases the battery life

I'm writing my phd thesis on it

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is probably only useful in very specific parts of the world.

Around here EDGE gives me 200 kbps. On 3G I tend to get around 2500 kbps.

So a page that takes 10 seconds to load on 3G would take over a minute on EDGE.

How long before that extra 30 minutes of battery life gets wiped out by standing around waiting for my phone to load? Where I live this is 1 step forward, 5 steps back.

21. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Silly thread. Just turning off the battery percentage solves the problem. :mad:

22. phantoms macrumors member

i have been turning 3g off ever since i got my 3gs on launch week. i used to have that phones brightness set to around 20% and with 3g and wifi on bluetooth off id barely get 4 hours of usage and thats mainly texting with about 20 minutes of calls and 10 minutes of safari. with 3g turned off id get easily 6 hours.

now with the iphone 4 i have followed the same practice except when not home i turn off wifi. with 3g on and brightness to about 70% i can get about 6 hours of usage mainly texting again and with 3g off i can get about 9 hours of usage which is insane in my opinion. especially since brightness is so high.

23. SnowDX macrumors 6502

If I turn off 3G, I have no cell service. ;) My provider only has an HSPA+ network, no EDGE.

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek