Disabling EDGE from iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kikobarbada, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kikobarbada macrumors regular

Hello. I have bought an iPhone and I have disabled it and I am currently using it on TIM(Brasil). I have configured my email account and I as I know, it automatically connects to any internet every 5 minutes or so and gets all emails from the server. But what I want is to disable the EDGE service because ehre it is 5 dollars per megabyte, which is extremely expensive. How can I program the iPhone to only use Wi-fi or another way to solve my problem?

2. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Hold down the power button until you see "slide to power off," after you see it, slide the slider to the right side and the screen will go blank. At that time your phone will no longer connect to Edge.

In all seriousness, this is a huge problem that the iPhone has and many people including myself have traveled overseas and have had both huge bills or been unable to use them. At this point in time there is NO WAY to turn off Edge.

3. unity macrumors 6502a

Like most if not all phones. Ya, it sucks but if you call ATT and tell them you are traveling outside the US and have no need for the data plan they must remove it. If they dont want to, hang up and call back to get another rep.

If thats still a problem, and you have not left the US, you can stop at a Cingular store since these will not be corporate. They can remove the plan and I bet wont give you a hard time about it.

4. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

OP stated he is in Brazil, I doubt there are any ATT stores in Brazil. Also, even if you take the data plan off, that doesn't prevent the phone from going on Edge, it will still connect to whatever network and pull information.

5. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I liked that, very technical, if you will ;)

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Call your provider, find out if they can cut off EDGE service (even pay-per-go) to your account. Sometimes they can remove access to certain features that you dont wish to pay for. Its worth a phone call at least.

7. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

You can remove the SIM to only use WiFI but then no phone calls.

8. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes the user is in Brazil, but I posted it as a general response to help anyone else who may look at it.

But the phone will not jump to basic GRPS for data, you can still use WiFI, but without and Edge account, no data usage for YouTube, Stocks, Visual Voicemail, Weather, e-mail, etc... But since basic GRPS will be there, texting will still work. Unlike most phones, the iPhone NEEDS active Edge for cellular data usage.

9. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Doesn't v1.0.2 add the "Network" item to the General Settings, so you can setup your Edge network? If not, the iUnlock hack certainly does.

Just blank out the fields in the Edge settings...or put something totally wrong on there so it can't connect?

10. unity macrumors 6502a

Must be iUnlock. I have 1.0.2 and under network I just have VPN and Wi-Fi, nothing for edge.

I am surprised I have not seen a software solution made specifically for disabling Edge yet...

11. rglatter macrumors regular

hopefully apple adds something in the settings in the 1.1 update that lets you turn it off.

12. Navintar macrumors member

You can use the "sim lock" mode, which will ask for your permission anytime you use edge or make a phone call. Here is how to do it.

Go to settings>Phone>Sim Pin Select on. Enter your default AT&T sim pin, which is 1111. Now reboot the phone by holding the sleep/wake button until the slider appears. Slide to turn off and press the sleep/wake button to turn on again.

Note that this would disable phone functionality altogether. But the good thing is that you can activate it anytime, while your sim is still inside your iphone. It's not a perfect solution, yet a little more convenient.

13. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

you can enable airplane mode. but then you can't use wifi either.

14. quarkdoll macrumors newbie

i've verified a solution to this.
    . go to Settings -> General -> Network -> EDGE
    . edit the APN by changing the server name to something invalid (for my tmobile settings, i simply changed the domain from .com to .co)

that's it. reset your usage statistics to verify that no data is being sent or received over EDGE.

15. unity macrumors 6502a

But do you have an unlocked phone? Two legit iPhone, mine and another,don't have and Edge network setting that can be edited. Only VPN and WiFi.

16. quarkdoll macrumors newbie

ah.. sorry about that then - ya, i ran iUnlock against it... you could always unlock your phone and stay on at&t, but clearly not the easy solution i had thought it was.

17. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

The new iphone 1.1.1 update allows you to disable edge roaming!

18. schulzmc macrumors regular

19. braziliphone macrumors newbie

So, you guys are talkin about disabling EDGE, well, I want to ENABLE EDGE xD
    I live in Brazil too, and I wanna know the configuration to enable EDGE in brazil, using TIM as carrier...

can anyone help me ?!

Thanks

20. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

So do you mean that when you use the TIM carrier (same as mine) EDGE is not automatically so you need to configure it? If so, that is great. What programs or anything are disabled on your current phone? If could give me a review of what you think so far, it would be great.

Thanks, Kiko.

21. braziliphone macrumors newbie

I am not sure if I understood what u said... Theres nothing disabled on my iPhone... And no, EDGE is not automatically configured... Can you go to: Settings> General> Network> EDGE and then take a look whats written in APN, Username and Password ? That'd be very helpful for me =D.

Thanks

22. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes EDGE is automatically configured and unless one has used iUnlock, it appears that EDGE does not show up in the network settings, FYI.

23. braziliphone macrumors newbie

I did not use iUnlock, I used anySIM... When I finished unlocking, I tried to connect the EDGE, but it appeared: ''Could Not Activate EDGE''
    You are saying that EDGE does not show up in the network settings, and that EDGE is automatically configured... and I am saying the opposite, could it be my iPhone version ? mine is 1.0.2 what about yours ? take a look at this image: http://www.engadget.com/gallery/o2-uk-iphone-gallery/404726/ is your iPhone like this ? Mine isnt, theres no way to turn off EDGE, and its a bit different...

24. kikobarbada thread starter macrumors regular

I mean like, I am going to buy it, activate it with iUnlock, put in my TIM carrier SIM card, DISABLE EDGE (OR NOT CONFIGURE IT). What does not work on this iPhone that works on the ATT iPhone such as visual voicemail (about that, the voicemail will be the usual one), etc. What else doesn't work?

25. braziliphone macrumors newbie

Actually, I didnt activated it with iUnlock... when I bought it, I activated it with AT&T... I just unlocked it via anySIM, I didnt do a fake activation.
    Everything works, except visual voicemail... and I got a problem with youtube, lots of people got the same problem, I cant watch videos from ''Most Viewed'' and ''Search'', but I can watch bookmarked and featured videos...
    Except youtube and visual voicemail, everything works fine... I dont have the option to disable EDGE, and I dont think anyone has this option, this option is just available in iPhone version 1.1.1, which is not available yet... The newer u can get is 1.0.2 (mine)