Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
But isn't it configured for ATT EDGE? So when I put in the Tim sim card, if I don't configure to TIM's EDGE, will it ever connect to EDGE and use only Wi-fi?

braziliphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Could you please tell me the configuration u are using ? go to Setting> General> Network> EDGE and tell me whats written in APN, Username and Password to work with TIM ?

Thanks

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Ok, the "Edge Roaming" on/off feature is on all phones, but only shows up when you are off the ATT network. This is not a 1.1.1 feature, its just that in Europe the demo phones are off network as are the users in Brazil, etc...

braziliphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Hi all. I'm acessing EDGE now in Brazil using a TIM Simcard. Follow below the configuration for any TIM user in Brazil to acess EDGE in the iPhone.
At Settings>General>Network>EDGE complete with the info below:
APN:tim.br
username:tim
password:tim

By the way, there is no ON/OFF option for EDGE at my iPhone.
If you want to turn it off just chenge the APN for a nonvalid name.

PS: I'm Brazilian too :)

kikobarbada

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
That is my point. But with no EDGE, can I use normal email, wi-fi, voicemail, etc...??

braziliphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Vou começar a escrever em portugues mesmo =D
Voce ta me perguntando se sem EDGE eu posso acessa e-mail e etc ? Posso sim, via wi-fi. Eu nao perco nenhuma funçao sem EDGE. Tudo funciona normalmente =p

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
would I be correct in assuming that if edge is not set up or available the US iphone will NOT connect to the internet via GRPS at all?

Although that may change with the firmware update this week that will presumably include european network settings...

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I stuck my 02 Sim card in my new US iPhone and discovered FIRSTLY that I have EDGE coverage where I live (so one of the lucky 30% of the UK that does) but that it does not work at all as I do not have the correct settings.

Which is fine as I don't want to run up data bills when I do NOT have unlimited data - but I do wonder what the O2 settings are for EDGE and how to set it up? anyone know?

dmweinst

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Update 1.1.1 Enables Disabling Data Roaming

Go to Settings/Network
There is now an on/off switch for Data Roaming.
Problem solved (unless you've already bricked your phone by unlocking it).

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Go to Settings/Network
There is now an on/off switch for Data Roaming.
Problem solved (unless you've already bricked your phone by unlocking it).

So if my Data Roaming is set to OFF, I will not be able to access internet while I am in Roaming in some other country

umer786pg

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2008
Disbale Edge network Iphone

Now We can disable the Edge Network on Your iphone.Its 100% working

Install the BossPrefs is the first package available on the installer the managers to disbale the Edge network.

The Edge icon on the top bar will disapper for couple of seconds and the reappear,but edge will remain
disbaled.It keeps it disabled also if you reboot your divce.

PT FTO

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2008
Now We can disable the Edge Network on Your iphone.Its 100% working

Install the BossPrefs is the first package available on the installer the managers to disbale the Edge network.

The Edge icon on the top bar will disapper for couple of seconds and the reappear,but edge will remain
disbaled.It keeps it disabled also if you reboot your divce.

Hi, I've Tried this. When I slide the EDGE switch to off, it will remain off but EDGE icon stays on screen. as soon as I exit the page it automatically switches itself back on again!! and EDGE is active. Cabn anyone help with this issue.........please.

doodads

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
East BF, TN
If thats still a problem, and you have not left the US, you can stop at a Cingular store since these will not be corporate. They can remove the plan and I bet wont give you a hard time about it.

Dude, there aren't any Cingular stores.

C

chow310

question

I just bought an unlocked Iphone that belonged to a friend of mine who had ATT and i have tmobile, hence why it has been unlocked, i got it really cheap. its a first generation Iphone and here is my question:
I just want to use it as a phone and for text msgs, i don't have and internet plan and don't want one because my parents won't let me have the internet plan on tmobile, if i use wifi, will i get extra charges? and if i accidentally get on the internet when out of wifi range will it automatically connect to the internet somehow even though i don't have an internet plan? if so, i don't need the extra charges is there anyway to make sure the internet does not connect unless i use wifi, that is if the wifi doesn't charge. I hope i am explaining this well enough, if anyone has the answer, i would really appreciate it.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I mean like, I am going to buy it, activate it with iUnlock, put in my TIM carrier SIM card, DISABLE EDGE (OR NOT CONFIGURE IT). What does not work on this iPhone that works on the ATT iPhone such as visual voicemail (about that, the voicemail will be the usual one), etc. What else doesn't work?

I live in Paraguay and this is how I solved the same issue you have

1 - Settings - General - Network - Data Roaming *turn it off or on
2 - Settings - General - Network - Cellular data network - APN *you must configure it in order to get EDGE working other wise dis-configure it to avoid receving information trhough EDGE.

In my iPhone EVERYTHING but the voicemail works. I used Pnwed to unlock and jailbrake it.

mbopy22

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I just bought an unlocked Iphone that belonged to a friend of mine who had ATT and i have tmobile, hence why it has been unlocked, i got it really cheap. its a first generation Iphone and here is my question:
I just want to use it as a phone and for text msgs, i don't have and internet plan and don't want one because my parents won't let me have the internet plan on tmobile, if i use wifi, will i get extra charges? and if i accidentally get on the internet when out of wifi range will it automatically connect to the internet somehow even though i don't have an internet plan? if so, i don't need the extra charges is there anyway to make sure the internet does not connect unless i use wifi, that is if the wifi doesn't charge. I hope i am explaining this well enough, if anyone has the answer, i would really appreciate it.

wifi depends on the network you're in. If it is not locked then you can navigate free, if it is locked then you need a passcode or plan or something (e.g. ATT hotspot)
If you wan't to turn off your wifi just go to settings on the iPhone's menu and turn it off... it'll save you battery also.

ampalam

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Switching EDGE off on iPhone

Go to:
Settings/General/Network/Cellular Data Network/
Set APN on xxx
Set Username xxx
Set Password xxx
Works like charm on Maxis, Malaysia.
When not on Wi-Fi error message says that I am not subscribed to Cellular Data Network when I use Safari, Mail.
When on Wi-Fi I get connected.
Hope this helps

deadman45

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
So let me see if I have this right...

I can get and iPhone (unlocked or jail brake it) and I can pop in my currant SIM card from my existing AT&T plan that has no data and I will not have to sign up for the stupid data plan?? :confused:

The reason I want to do this is because I have WIFI at home, work and I live in a large city and there is open WIFI everywhere
I don't see the point in spending 30 bucks on a data plan when I can simply tap into the WIFI that is available

If this is correct can someone that has done this please post and let me know
Thanks in advance

richardmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
i think the best way to solve that problem you must be go to their nearest mac repair center.... or call their customer service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.