Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herminio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
I would love some advice. I got an Nvidia 7800GS for my PowerMac G4 MDD. I was able to flash the correct ROM and put tape on pins 3 and 11. I installed it on my PM and booted. It took a while to boot but Sorbet Leopard loaded. I went to the profiler and it saw the GPU. However Geekbench was giving me a score of 900?!? Then when I loaded a YouTube video on Leopard WebKit the screen crashed. I rebooted and it froze with a blank blue screen. I am suspecting that the pins were not properly disabled. I tried to watch YouTube videos on how to properly do this but I could not really get a good look at how it was done. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Herminio

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I would love some advice. I got an Nvidia 7800GS for my PowerMac G4 MDD. I was able to flash the correct ROM and put tape on pins 3 and 11. I installed it on my PM and booted. It took a while to boot but Sorbet Leopard loaded. I went to the profiler and it saw the GPU. However Geekbench was giving me a score of 900?!? Then when I loaded a YouTube video on Leopard WebKit the screen crashed. I rebooted and it froze with a blank blue screen. I am suspecting that the pins were not properly disabled. I tried to watch YouTube videos on how to properly do this but I could not really get a good look at how it was done. Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
Herminio
With taping, you need scotch tape and an X-Acto knife. Beware that if you take the card out frequently you can end up leaving tape inside the AGP slot. You don't want to do that.

Reactions: TheShortTimer

herminio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2022
With taping, you need scotch tape and an X-Acto knife. Beware that if you take the card out frequently you can end up leaving tape inside the AGP slot. You don't want to do that.

Thanks the pictures helped. The system boots and I can see the GPU in the System profile. However I am seeing some issues.

1. Geekbench is still reporting scores less than 1000
2. Booting into Sorbet Leopard takes 3 min, but Tiger boots near instantly

Something is prevent the GPU from the using its full potential. I think maybe it is power? I am using the stock power supply so it is 20 yrs old. Any thoughts?

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Geekbench is a CPU benchmark and has nothing to do with your GPU

Leopard takes 3 minutes to boot because you probably did not flash the ROM with the thermal sensor disabled

if Pins 3 and 11 where not taped properly than the machine would have never even booted properly in the first place

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
A semi-permanent solution if you are absolutely sure not to use that card in any other machine or sell it on later is to cut the traces above pins 3 and 11. You could actually bridge the cuts later if you are handy with a fine tipped soldering iron or possibly even a trace pen.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.