Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
I see a ton of these complaints but no one mentions that titanium is exponentially more expensive than aluminium, this is a lot more “luxurious”. Especially if is the grade 5 titanium Apple says it uses in these devices.

I’m in the metal business. If apple really using grade 5 titanium on these phones then they got hella of a discount from the bilt vendors. A small piece of sheet metal grade 5 titanium is about $1800 in today’s market. I buy and sell aluminum steel and galvanize materials. Lately prices have been dipping. I do love my 15PM natural but I’m wondering if it’s truly grade 5. No way apple gonna make negative profits on each phone. Made sense on a $799 ultra titanium watch versus these phones that are much bigger. BTW ultra watch can take a huge beating and still look new.

Last edited:

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I’m in the metal business. If apple really using grade 5 titanium on these phones then they got hella of a discount from the bilt vendors. A small piece of sheet metal grade 5 titanium is about $1800 in today’s market. I buy and sell aluminum steel and galvanize materials. Lately prices have been dipping. I do love my 15PM natural but I’m wondering if it’s truly grade 5. No way apple gonna make negative profits on each phone. Made sense on a $799 ultra titanium watch versus these phone that are much bigger. BTW ultra watch can take a huge beating and still look new.
That’s why I am so interested in the jerry rigs follow up video to test the titanium. I am also quite sceptic of the claim as well.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I’m in the metal business. If apple really using grade 5 titanium on these phones then they got hella of a discount from the bilt vendors. A small piece of sheet metal grade 5 titanium is about $1800 in today’s market. I buy and sell aluminum steel and galvanize materials. Lately prices have been dipping. I do love my 15PM natural but I’m wondering if it’s truly grade 5. No way apple gonna make negative profits on each phone. Made sense on a $799 ultra titanium watch versus these phone that are much bigger. BTW ultra watch can take a huge beating and still look new.

well, here it is!

Reactions: outlawarth

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
This is purely an aesthetics assessment.

The pros looked like they had been put together poorly, didn’t have a premium feel at all. Wasn’t impressed with any of the colors, not even natural titanium. The photos make it look better than it does in person.

The shades on the non pro line up were really bad. There’s barely any color which is probably a good thing because the shades were just bad.

Probably the best looking phone of this year is the 15 in pink. To be clear, it’s the “cleanest dirty shirt”, not one that I would look forward to owning but the one I would buy if I were forced to pick one.

Apple should have just used aluminum for the pros as well. Many reviewers have already cautioned that the PVD coating scratches easily.

BTW, is there an engineering reason for the criss cross camera setup? That’s just too ugly.

The only positive design improvement is the rounding of the edges.

What a colossal disappointment.
Aesthetic and beauty are the eyes of the beholders. Hence, they are very subjective. For me, Apple did a great job on producing iPhone 15 pro aesthetically. For me, white color is the best due the brightest, shiniest and most stand out color above all pro colors. I am very content what I chose.
I hope you will find other product that is fit with your aesthetic requirements and able to please you. Wish you the best!

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
There was once a time where you had a choice between plastic white or plastic black.
And they both looked so good you had trouble making up your mind which one to get. And you had a few days of excitement when you first got the phone in your hands.

Reactions: mectojic

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
well, here it is!

Interesting video. Watched it earlier.

Jerry said he was going to send out the titanium frame for testing to see how much and what grade titanium is it.

I'm personally hoping for the results to come back as a 4.75 grade titanium and then everyone losing their collective minds. 🤣

kermit-freaking-out.gif

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I’m in the metal business. If apple really using grade 5 titanium on these phones then they got hella of a discount from the bilt vendors. A small piece of sheet metal grade 5 titanium is about $1800 in today’s market. I buy and sell aluminum steel and galvanize materials. Lately prices have been dipping. I do love my 15PM natural but I’m wondering if it’s truly grade 5. No way apple gonna make negative profits on each phone. Made sense on a $799 ultra titanium watch versus these phones that are much bigger. BTW ultra watch can take a huge beating and still look new.
A rather massive chunk of grade 5 titanium is under $700. https://onlinemetalsupply.com/2-75-x-3-5-x-33-5-6al-4v-grade-5-titanium-plate-annealed/

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2019
Am I just a grouchy old middle aged man, or am I remembering right that when I bought Apple products 15-20 years ago they were pretty much perfect build wise?
I’ve purchased multiple new Apple products every year for the past probably 15 years. Have noticed no decrease in build quality.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Personally I think it is HILARIOUS that people judge a phone on what it looks like. IDGAF as long as it performs and does what I need it do to.
Performance wise unless there’s a fix for PWM it doesn’t work for me. And the only reason I’m with iOS is because the alternative is the worst kind of spyware. Otherwise iOS leaves a lot to be desired too.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
That’s why I am so interested in the jerry rigs follow up video to test the titanium. I am also quite sceptic of the claim as well.

Yup, Jerry made his name by investigating the “synthetic sapphire” lens covers issue finding they were “technically” synthetic sapphire but a poor grade of it with lots of impurities that made it more scratchable than the quality examples.

I predict Jerry will find that technically it is grade 5 but not the best. Apple knows how to play the legal game and won’t give you a lie - but they never promised you the best grade 5 ever made either, just like they didn’t give us the best PVD ever made…

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
This is purely an aesthetics assessment.

The pros looked like they had been put together poorly, didn’t have a premium feel at all. Wasn’t impressed with any of the colors, not even natural titanium. The photos make it look better than it does in person.

The shades on the non pro line up were really bad. There’s barely any color which is probably a good thing because the shades were just bad.

Probably the best looking phone of this year is the 15 in pink. To be clear, it’s the “cleanest dirty shirt”, not one that I would look forward to owning but the one I would buy if I were forced to pick one.

Apple should have just used aluminum for the pros as well. Many reviewers have already cautioned that the PVD coating scratches easily.

BTW, is there an engineering reason for the criss cross camera setup? That’s just too ugly.

The only positive design improvement is the rounding of the edges.

What a colossal disappointment.

Sounds like the new iPhone isn't for you. I wouldn't buy one if I was you.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I don’t think they can go back to aluminum for the Pros at this point. The “premium” precedent has been set.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Yup, Jerry made his name by investigating the “synthetic sapphire” lens covers issue finding they were “technically” synthetic sapphire but a poor grade of it with lots of impurities that made it more scratchable than the quality examples.

I predict Jerry will find that technically it is grade 5 but not the best. Apple knows how to play the legal game and won’t give you a lie - but they never promised you the best grade 5 ever made either, just like they didn’t give us the best PVD ever made…

I really wish one of these YouTubers would instead of destroying the thing, take one apart, sand down the frame to bare titanium, and then put it back together.

Also I’d like to see one of the frames sanded, and then scorched blue like he did to that titanium rod. Now that would look amazing.

Reactions: mectojic
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.