Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Some of these arguments above: "Don't buy it then!", "Make something better then!" ... don't. Someone is just giving their opinion.

Should we post "Buy it then!" on every thread where someone says they like their new phone? We'd have nothing to read :)

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I really wish one of these YouTubers would instead of destroying the thing, take one apart, sand down the frame to bare titanium, and then put it back together.

Also I’d like to see one of the frames sanded, and then scorched blue like he did to that titanium rod. Now that would look amazing.

They did it with the Ridge wallet. It was a disappointment as the color rubbed and scratched off easily. The multicolored effect looked cool until you started using it.

I picked carbon fibre and after a year of use there is hardly any wear - just the slightest surface wear. Actually Apple should go carbon fibre for the Ultra.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore

Attachments

• Image 8.jpeg
    Image 8.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 104

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t think they can go back to aluminum for the Pros at this point. The “premium” precedent has been set.
I guess eventually Apple will move to platinum, and then diamond. That seems to be the trajectory haha.

In all seriousness, I wonder what materials are feasible and not feasible due to thermals and heat dissipation. Does it need to be metal for that reason? If so, I wonder if Apple will ever do an etched surface for better grip.

Reactions: mebehere

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
They scratched within minutes of coming out of the box.
Not the same thing, but I remember how devastated I was when my iPod Touch 2 started getting scratches on the back :'(
For most of my stuff, I try to keep it in as pristine a condition as possible.

leonremi

macrumors member
May 12, 2017
I wish all the phones were either aluminum or even better, plastic. Why can’t they use recycled plastics?

Regardless, I would like to see the phones as light as possible.
Because plastics really can't be recycled.

What we call plastics are many different types of polymers containing various impurities.
Even with rigorous sorting, plastic can maybe be recycled and reused once as a much lower quality plastic.

Overall, plastic recycling is a scam pushed by plastic manufacturers and we should avoid using plastic as much as we can especially single use one.

• Wow
Reactions: Carlsberg69

MrMiyagi1

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2019
I went to the Apple Store today and thought I see the iPhone 15 pro in person. My thoughts are the phone looks the same as my iPhone 14 pro apart from it being titanium and the action button and the different back on the new iPhone. However I see no reason to upgrade. It’s quite underwhelming the 15 pro from what I already have

Yeah sure it’s got some spec bumps but to me it seems like the 15 pro is just a S year iPhone.

Yeah alright it’s a bit lighter than my 14 pro but I prefer the weight of my 14 pro as it is. And don’t even get me started on the new iPhone cases. They just look so cheap and weird to touch.

When I compared my phone side my side with the 15 pro I just felt the iPhone 14 pro appears to be more premium. That’s my own take though on the new iPhone.

However I do feel this is a good upgrade for those who are coming from an iPhone prior to 14 pro.

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
They scratched within minutes of coming out of the box.
Oh man this brought back some memories. My 3G looked like it went to war and came back with all the stories.

Countless drops, keys scratching it, sand from the beach constantly eating away at every nook and cranny.

And I didn't care for one second. 🤣

Now if a spec of dust lands on my phone and the light hits it to look like a scratch I will be in therapy for an additional 2 months. What has happened to me:cool:
🥲

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Oh man this brought back some memories. My 3G looked like it went to war and came back with all the stories.

Countless drops, keys scratching it, sand from the beach constantly eating away at every nook and cranny.

And I didn't care for one second. 🤣

Now if a spec of dust lands on my phone and the light hits it to look like a scratch I will be in therapy for an additional 2 months. What has happened to me:cool:
🥲
Mine just scratch from air. My iPod also.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I actually find I really like the materials of the Pro line. It feels great in hand, is lighter, and the coating on the titanium makes it grippy for me. The smooth edges make a big difference in comfort when resting the bottom of the device on my pinky.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Apple makes them heavy they hate. Apple makes them light...it feels cheap and hate. Enjoy your phones people. We don't stare at a phone we use it. Worry about the user experience.

Well the UI on the new phones is basically identical to the old. So comparing aesthetics makes sense in this case

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
For the pro, It’s a bit like going from the 4s and it’s quality premium feel and heft, to the 5 which felt like a toy and someone forgot to put the insides in as it was so light.

Reactions: powerbook911

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I’m in the metal business. If apple really using grade 5 titanium on these phones then they got hella of a discount from the bilt vendors. A small piece of sheet metal grade 5 titanium is about $1800 in today’s market. I buy and sell aluminum steel and galvanize materials. Lately prices have been dipping. I do love my 15PM natural but I’m wondering if it’s truly grade 5. No way apple gonna make negative profits on each phone. Made sense on a $799 ultra titanium watch versus these phones that are much bigger. BTW ultra watch can take a huge beating and still look new.
So apparently it is Grade 5 Titanium! According to JerryRigs’ latest video. I am quite impressed. What are your thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.