Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Firstly dont get me wrong, I still love the product. The lines on the back, me and hundreds of people, still hate - no other apple product has or had thick lines running everywhere.

67828-iphone-6-gpu.png

So these benchmarks today are highly disappointing.

I went with the plus.

If you look at apple's history, when they significantly improve the screen or resolution (or both) they always improve the processor/gpu to deliver such that the performance in actually better and snappier than the previous version.

This time they said they improved the cpu, which they did but by a very little amount. Which has resulted in the 6 having almost the same levels of performance, slightly worse actually. And the 6 plus having significantly less performance.

The reason why Im complaining is number 1 we have actually had a decrease of performance on both version, plus being more significantly. And number 2 my iphone 6 plus 128gb is a very expensive device and I would have expected more for the money. I was annoyed with the 1gb of ram but the performance decrease is bit more worrying.

Of course this means in exactly one years time, we will all be buying the quad core 64 bit iphone 6s, which will of course deliver and go beyond any of the competitor devices, but will cost us a lot, again.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Is this translating into a real-world performance problem for you? Or are you really just upset that one benchmark rating doesn't look great?

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Did you ever stop to think about why these numbers are the way they are? The 5S is a lot smaller than the 6, let alone the 6+. These benchmarks don't mean very much. It's neat to compare the devices, but in all reality the fact that your graphics benchmarks don't match up will not affect 99% of end users. The read about this is in the news forum.

----------

Is this translating into a real-world performance problem for you? Or are you really just upset that one benchmark rating doesn't look great?

Right. It's like comparing maximum speeds of cars.

Who cares if the 5S > 6 > 6+ at 200 mph? You will likely never achieve that.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I have never complained about the iphone's hardware ,ever until recently.

The 1 gb of ram is the problem with reloading tabs when you have a few open, which gets annoying and is a HIGHLY discussed problem. Funny because simply adding more ram would have fixed this, and considering competitor devices now have 3gb of ram.

I never complained about the inferior hardware because iPhone always delivered better than the competitors in terms of performance, I was happy with inferior hardware because I was getting superior performance.

Now the 6 plus performance levels are coming down to android levels, especially the benchmark test as above.

I mean this is one of the reasons I love iOS because it is so highly optimised.

But I dont know if apple are simply getting more greedy now, it is surprising that their performance this year has significantly decreased.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yeah, I'm disappointed too. Because a third party graphics benchmark is such a reliable measure of real world performance, more so than my own two eyes, and these benchmarks usually push the hardware better than the one OS developers...

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You could always return your 6 plus and call it a day. Will be interesting to see how the Note 4 compares to the Plus when it comes out in October.

Preed08

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
When you look at it, the 6+ is still better than all the other 1080p phones, although not by much. Also, with Apples other generational leaps, none were bogged down by as much of resolution

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014

Benchmark tests against android devices for years have been useless when comparing iphones because android can deliver the numbers because of these 6 or 8 cores or whatever they use, but of course this does not get translated to the power hungry android os (dont get me wrong android has improved and will continue to improve and probably will take over because of the availabily like windows vs mac).

But its a safe test to compare benchmarks against other iphones because we then know EXACTLY what we are getting. And the numbers show the performance is vastly inferior to the s5, this is not debatable, it is fact. So we have a decreased performance which is slightly embarrasing.

I mean even if the performance stayed the same it would be disappointing but to actually decrease? If that happened in the pc world, all hell would break loose lol.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
A bit disappointing and it is a graphics test. Id like to see some more tests then just this one.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Those are onscreen tests meaning that they run on the device's native resolution. Why do you think iPhones almost always won onscreen tests in more recent times with Android devices running insane resolutions?

So there isn't really a performance degrade, the chips are faster that's a fact otherwise the scores would be a lot lower than the 5s. I'm noticing more OS bugs that can easily be patched.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Iphone 6 for which I own performance versus efficiency? It just keeps on ticking, even better than most androids.

I could live with its performance as well. When I was setting it up and trying things I did not realize I had everything I did opened in the background. Zero lag, no shutdowns/force closes. Yep, I can live with that performance any day.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Modern smartphone processors are so ridiculously fast vs the loads applied it's a moot point to even look at them let alone compare them.

Any real world issues are related to software (iOS 8) that no amount of processing power could overcome. Hopefully we'll start seeing patches soon.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Apple did up the GPU a good bit, but there are limits to what they can do. The 6+ will never offer the same performance as the 6, as I doubt Apple wants to split the iPhone line SoC. There are many potential larger issues with that.

Most likely the main issue is memory bandwidth, not rasterizing. They just cant get too much bandwidth in these SoC's.

So Apple can offer the larger screen with worse native resolution performance, or they can take away the option. There is no magic bullet solution here.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
lol benchmarks. People still use those? It's just numbers on a screen. Real world is what matters.

Makala

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
It's only better than every other phone by benchmark and you're disappointed?
The lines look better IRL

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Firstly dont get me wrong, I still love the product. The lines on the back, me and hundreds of people, still hate - no other apple product has or had thick lines running everywhere.

So these benchmarks today are highly disappointing.

I went with the plus.

If you look at apple's history, when they significantly improve the screen or resolution (or both) they always improve the processor/gpu to deliver such that the performance in actually better and snappier than the previous version.

This time they said they improved the cpu, which they did but by a very little amount. Which has resulted in the 6 having almost the same levels of performance, slightly worse actually. And the 6 plus having significantly less performance.

The reason why Im complaining is number 1 we have actually had a decrease of performance on both version, plus being more significantly. And number 2 my iphone 6 plus 128gb is a very expensive device and I would have expected more for the money. I was annoyed with the 1gb of ram but the performance decrease is bit more worrying.

Of course this means in exactly one years time, we will all be buying the quad core 64 bit iphone 6s, which will of course deliver and go beyond any of the competitor devices, but will cost us a lot, again.

Reminds me of the iPad 3 all over again.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
lol benchmarks. People still use those? It's just numbers on a screen. Real world is what matters.

It is the best and as far as I know only objective way to compare performance between devices. These scores give you a pretty good idea of how a device will perform on GPU intensive applications like 3d games.

I don't know where this idea that benchmarks are useless came from but it's silly, the same way that the idea that specs don't matter is, not useless numbers like just adding more megapixels to a camera and retaining a crap sensor, or more resolution on a screen resulting in a PPI far past the point of no discernible pixels, but specs do matter, they are an indication of performance, one of a couple.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have the 6+

To be honest. My chain of events was like this.

Looked at benchmarks > said ok cool > went about life as normal still happy with the 6+

I think at times we get caught up in wanting the latest / greatest with no regard to actual usage.

For example. With the Macbook air, there is I believe a Toshiba SSD and Samsung. I forgot which is faster, but lets assume Samsung. A user with a Toshiba SSD may return the laptop just to get one with a Samsung. Once they get it, the most intensive task they perform is watching a youtube video, while talking on google hangouts and posting on some forum. All, which by the way will make no difference if done with an SSD or regular drive.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
It's only better than every other phone by benchmark and you're disappointed?
The lines look better IRL

No why dont people understand, comparing ios to android device benchmarks are difficult.

But if we compare iphone to iphone benchmarks, it is a clean set easy way to compare the performance.

And the diagram shows that the iphone 6 plus has SIGNIFICANTLY less performance than the 5s. That is fact, you cannot argue with the fact.

This is why it is disappointing because the performance has gone backwards, I mean if it remained the same as the 5s, it would have been a little disappointing but I would have felt that apple at least compensated for the increased screen resolution and size, but they havent.

You can sense that apple know this very well because in the keynote they barely mentioned much about processing power (rather how smaller and efficient its gotten) where as during the 5s they went on and on and on about 64 bit processing and how fast it was. And that was good on the 5s, why couldnt they upgrade the cpu/gpu this time round to match it?

Without doubt the iphone 6 has had the least cpu/gpu upgrade in all the iphone launches.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Jezuz! These threads in the iPhone section are weird!
Comparing benchmarks of a ****ing phone! Wtf!? :D

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
the Plus version really should have came with 2GB of RAM. That's alot of pixels to push around, especially in games.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
.6 frames per second on one test constitutes a significantly less performing device?

No your talking about the iphone 6 which is 0.6 of a difference, which is still disappointing because you expect performance to increase rather than staying the same.

Im talking about the iphone 6 plus's performance which is significantly lower, in fact it is 44.6 % less performance which is almost half the performance.

If you consider how much of a backwards leap this is, it is amazing to think apple would release such a product where it is that much of a severe downgrade.

Il be honest when I saw the specs I thought performance would be very similar to the 5s which wasnt great but the 5s is decent so I didnt mind too much. But knowing I paid for the 6 plus 128gb which is expensive and getting almost half the performance of the 5s in some cases, is somewhat worrying.

----------

the Plus version really should have came with 2GB of RAM. That's alot of pixels to push around, especially in games.

Yeah it is a severe limitation, you would have thought people all apple realise this. Considering the galaxy note 4 i think is coming with an 8 core processor with 3gb of ram, apple seem to be far far far behind the competition in terms of hardware.

This is of course a business decision, apple is simply leaving the ram and quad core cpu upgrade to the 6s. Apple talked nothing about the processor this time, but the 6s in a years time will have feature length discussions about the performance upgrades.

Hypothetically speaking if iOS was natively supported on devices like the galaxy note 4, without doubt I would have gone for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.