Disappointed in Apple Customer Service

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Junmeng126, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Junmeng126 macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

My watch had an issue when screen is activated, it would make a pop sound. This has been more and more annoying. After reading some people having the same issue, I decided to go to apple store to get it checked.

They mailed my watch to the repair center. The watch returned in 3 days. Apple employee told me all technician did was a software reset. Did it fix the problem? Absolutely not! Btw, the battery was dead when I received it. There was no way to find out if it was repaired.

So I called the Apple customer service hotline. Surprisingly, the rep told me they could not find any repair notes. Therefore they would send me a box to get my watch shipped to the repair center to get checked again.

The watch was delivered to the repair center this morning. Just 6 hours, I received another email from them, telling me the news with flying colors! Guess what they said? I'm gonna quote the text here:

Passed inspection!
    Our technicians performed complete diagnostic checks on your product.

Model: APPLE WATCH 38MM
    Repair ID:

The technicians couldn't reproduce the symptom you mentioned when you requested service. They confirmed that your product meets our specifications for performance, usability, and functionality. They also installed the latest software and firmware, if necessary.

I literature could not believe how sloppy they treat their watch Customer. After all, they treat so call "personal device" as a piece of tech like iPod.

Any advice on how should o proceed?

2. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

If it's within 14 days, I would push for a return. I would also be emailing Tim Cooks email until I received a response from corporate.

As a technician, I DESPISE sloppy tech work like that. There's NO excuse for that.

3. Junmeng126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

Thanks for the reply. I have always had good experience with apple in the past. They just would not fix it this time. Maybe I have been too nice!

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Can you elaborate on the popping sound when the screen is activated? Never heard of this issue.

5. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

Is this a consistent reproducible problem or an intermittent one and did the Apple store guys hear it? Is it possible to video it with your cellphone and catch the popping sound? If so I'd post that for them to see.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I'm sure it won't surprise you to learn that that's a form-letter response.
    Saw an other thread where people were sending in their watches to be downgraded after unsuccessful beta installs and they posted that same Tech note, verbatim.

7. psylence2k macrumors 6502

I always hear about people doing this on here but I wonder how effective it is / how often people get reply. I also wonder how many people get a direct reply from Tim's account (which probably is one of his assigned responders). I also wonder how often he actually replies to emails himself.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Just return the watch and buy another. Don't waste bandwidth emailing "Tim Cooks". Don't waste time shipping a repair back and forth. Just go to an Apple Store and return the watch.

If you're outside of the 14 day return period, tell them you've sent the watch for repair twice and that no one seems to be willing or capable of understanding the defect, and that you simply want your money back.

Be calm, rational, firm. and undeniable, and you will get satisfaction. Works for me every single time, and not just at an Apple Store.

9. Roller macrumors 68020

I don't think that many people who email Tim Cook get a direct reply from him. However, someone reads all his emails, and many do get a response - I have. In general, I've had success writing to CEOs about issues with their companies' products.

In the OP's case, the key question is whether the Apple Genius at the store was able to replicate the problem and document it in the repair order. If that's what happened, I'd go back to the store to politely complain and demand a replacement rather than another attempted repair.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, if the watch is still in the return period then return it.

If not reproduce the problem to an Apple Genius. Ask to see his/her case notes to insure its documented. Then ask if they have any service replacements. If not tell them you expect to receive your watch back with the issue resolved, not a note saying they could not find an issue.

If you already did that previously then talk to the manager and (politely) demand either the issue be resolved or a replacement watch as the watch is clearly defective. Offer to demonstrate to the manager if you have to.

11. Junmeng126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

Thank you all for your advice. Once I received the watch I will pay a visit to the Apple Store for a 3rd try. During my first visit, they did note that the problem was reproducible 50% of the time. I had this issue since I received this pre-ordered watch. I thought it was just a software issue, and hoping future update will fix it, but apparently it did not. I have had this watch for 3 months.

My interaction with store employee gave me the impression that they really don't care to address the issue. They always seemed to be very polite and all but not helpful. All they want is to get the task done and move on to the next! I cannot believe how much trouble Apple is putting on a loyal customer who is willing to be the "beta-tester".

Here is the full elaboration of the pop sound I get:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7014215

I will update once I have more news.

12. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

@Junmeng126 What you're hearing is very likely the audio circuits turning on from coming out of powersave (microphone and speaker); there's often a small pop when inrush current fills the various capacitors and other components involved in the amplifier and filtering stages. You can hear it on at least some Macs or iPhones too when headphones are plugged in and the device plays a sound after having been silent for a while. Sometimes you'll hear a pop when the audio circuitry turns off as well.

I wouldn't pay this any mind; there's nothing really wrong with your watch. You could always get around this issue by turning off the speaker, but maybe you like the various silly dings and whatnot it plays, I dunno. ;)

13. Junmeng126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

Thanks for your info. That's what I first thought too. Unfortunately turning off the speaker entirely would still yield the same sound. So I could be other component, such as Taptic Engine. It sounds like an electric shock.

14. dwfaust, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have never emailed Tim Cook about an issue, but I have emailed Craig Federighi on multiple occasions. He has always responded, and for a couple of my notes to him regarding issues, I got followups from managers/engineers who helped me solve the issues.

Contacting Apple's senior management team is not folly. Even if the reply doesn't actually come at their hand, it is still a great way to get your issues addressed.

15. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Ah, well even though you're turning off the speaker it's still most likely the audio circuits, as Siri activates when the screen comes on, and that requires listening through the microphone. The taptic engine wouldn't make popping sounds like that, it is just a spring-balanced weight, and if you hold the watch close to your ear while it is working (speaker off naturally), you hear the sound it makes is just a very muted humming kind of noise. :)

16. psylence2k macrumors 6502

Do you mostly email Federighi because all your problems have been mostly software related ? Is he the only one on the senior team you've made contact with ?

I have an issue, not software related, but kinda lost on exactly who to contact. :confused::oops:

17. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Yeah, I had some serious issues with Mail during the early days of both the Mavericks and Yosemite. He responded and got me in contact with an engineer on the Mail team each time, and when working with them, was able to resolve the issues. In one case, my contact (and Federighi's response/involvement) were instrumental in resolving an issue with Gmail and the Mail app.

Federighi has software (OS X and iOS), so he's usually my first contact when strange issues occur. Maybe contacting him and getting a response and follow up from an engineer is all a placebo, but it seems to be working. And it was the engineer who got me an invitation to the AppleSeed program when I was not even aware that it existed.

18. Junmeng126, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

Junmeng126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

UPDATE:

Apple scheduled another Genius appointment asking me to reproduce the issue. I went in today, the Genius seemed to be unable to identify the issue. I showed him a video clip I filed this morning exhibiting the "pop" sound.
    I eventually got a brand new replacement.

In summary, even though I am happy with the final result, the process was long and frustrating. It's just not the same. Maybe they have new rules on the Watch?

I shouldn't have trusted them at first place thinking they will definitely address my concern. Otherwise I wouldn't miss the return window.

The lesson: when you notice any issue with apple purchase, go return it immediately!

19. ihatephish macrumors regular

Ironically enough, I've had the same issue w the watch. A known defect. Have had 2 genius appointments and didn't want to surrender the watch the first time. Genius and I agreed that it'd be fine to wait until the inventory catastrophe settled and he'd put a note on the account.

Well, went back today and STILL no replacement inventory even though I saw them sell about 100 watches in the 45 minutes I was there. And this was after TWO store reps assured me there was replacement inventory.

I've never done anything like this before, but I sent a LONG email to Tim. I'm seriously done with apple if this is the direction they're going. I gave them until Friday until for an acceptable resolution (ie not being without my watch for a week +) before disputing the charges on both my watch and my wife's on the amex.

Have NEVER had a problem with things like this before with Apple.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, they've chosen not to stock white box replacements for the Watch (unlike other iDevices to date). It's entirely separate from retail box inventory. If you were within your 14-day return period, you could have easily forced a return.

This doesn't make for a good customer experience and I think they should fix this issue.

21. Junmeng126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Junmeng126

I feel you. It's honestly hurting to see the beloved brand's customer service going downhill, on such an important "entirely new category product".

I hope they change the way how Apple Watch issues are handled.

22. ihatephish macrumors regular

Tbh, I don't care if it's a new or "white box item". I just want a watch that I feel will last past the standard warranty. I was expecting and willing to accept a brown box watch.

23. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Nope, not just new rules for the Watch. My iPhone 6 Plus had a headphone jack defect that I had to put my foot down on getting a replacement for. Go figure, the replacement is fine. They told me multiple times that they would not replace it.

I don't know where the good stories of Apple support come from as they never happen with me and I'm not rude when speaking with them and not getting the solution I think I deserve.

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm glad you got it resolved.

If you're in the United States and you purchase Apple Care plan, just do an online chat and request an express replacement for similar issue in the future, then you get the replacement before you even send yours.

The watch serial would no longer match your box in a situation like this, but if you're outside return window and you truly have a hardware issue, it's the best way to go.

25. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Kind of off-topic... but when I was an Apple employee and on paternity leave, despite filing all paperwork and being assured everything was on target, I did not get paid. So I was broke with an infant during Thanksgiving. I e-mailed Tim on Thanksgiving nonetheless and within 5 minutes he e-mailed me back (from his iPad, funny enough) and assured me he would be taking care of it. Within a day, everything was solved. I also got a nice congratulation and Happy Thanksgiving e-mail from him.

edit: lest anyone think I went right to Tim, I spoke with both HR and payroll first and was essentially told "that stinks, too bad. We're leaving for Thanksgiving break. See ya next Wednesday!"