Disappointed? Is so why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonesjb, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jonesjb macrumors member

I notice a few posts on here are expressing disappointment at the new macbook pros. I'm trying to figure out why this is as Apple seems to be delivering on what we would have expected. I'm just curious what people are disappointed about? Where does it fail to live up to expectations. Thanks!

I'm looking at getting the 15 inch.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple screwed all € countries again... 2445$ (1799€) for base 15"!?!?!

They also dropped USBs to two

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah I'm bummed that the iX series didn't make it to the 13" computers. I was really looking forward to moving from 15" back to 13"... and.. I won't be able to do that and still get the new CPUs... Alas, I'll have to stay on the 15"

4. moseleyite macrumors member

I was looking to ugrade (to a 13" MBP) in the near future from a MacBook which I've had for the best part of 4 years. I am not a mega-rich person but like Apple's products and I like to make them last for a reasonable length of time to get my value for money - I find their products DO tend to last so that cost of ownership is spread over a longer period of time (this is my experience and my experience alone - don't take this as me saying "apple products are way better and better built than other makers") thus I experience value for money over the medium-long term.

I was hoping that the 13" would be upgraded to the latest familly of processors so that I have the latest tech available meaning that I would start my 3-4 year cycle "upto date". I wasn't that bothered about the optional stuff that people were talking about like Bluray or USB 3 but I was still disappointed that the processors in the 13" were not really any better than the MB I already have (I have upgraded my RAM and HDD on my MB so the specs of my current machine are reasonably comparable)

I know that the term "upto date" is fairly meaningless in the world of tech as things change so quickly and I'm sure that people with more technical knowhow than me will say that the iX processors aren't that much of an advantage over C2D for surfing etc but the fact remains that I probably won't be buying in this upgrade.

I have a couple of options:

1. Wait until Apple finds a way of slipping the iX in to the 13" (there are other factors I know - like the intergrated graphics not being rated by Apple)
    2. Save up for a low/mid 15"!

Luckily, my MB is working fine at the moment (although the case is a little splintered) so I'm not going to lose any sleep over having to wait a little longer.

5. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Yea I was looking to get a 13" MBP with iX, oh well, no reason to upgrade my current unit then simply for an nVidia 9400m -> 320m

6. duky macrumors 6502

I'm quite surprised as well. The 15" models look great. I guess the 13" was a bit anti-climactic. But I'm not sure what else people were expecting from the 15". They have amazing high-res screens, better battery life, great processors, cheap SSDs, and the higher models have dropped in price. I think people expect too much sometimes and set themselves up for disappointment

7. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I'm pissed that any kind of anti-glare now costs $150!

8. highscheme macrumors regular

The graphics is 512mb.

The screen is non IPS.

If you want anti-glare its a $150 option.

Nothing else changed. LOL@cheap SSD

9. moseleyite macrumors member

I think that's the crux of the matter - the people in the market for a 15" are on the whole quite pleased but those waiting for a 13" refresh are disappointed.

10. jaycee520 macrumors regular

..i was hoping at least an I5 for the 13 and will then get a 27' ACD when available sometime in June...i guess my I7 IMAC is here to stay...:confused:

11. FnuGk macrumors regular

im hoping for something to happen at the wwdc.
    they could be doing like when the 13" was only a macbook and 2month later they gave it a speed bump and put the white mb back

12. duky macrumors 6502

cheaper* SSDs. A 128GB SSD for $200 is not something to laugh at. Screen not being IPS isn't that serious, I like the screens they currently have--great viewing angles, nothing to complain about for me but what they've done now is to up the resolution which was my main gripe. I think this was a great update personally. There will always be complainers.

13. scotty91 macrumors newbie

I can't complain really, now that the 15" has the i5/i7 it makes it much more of a pro machine than previously, even if the price has gone up, the increase in performance is more than worth it for me. [​IMG]

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Some people will be complain regardless of what Apple does, unless it goes the Anti-Apple way. :rolleyes:

15. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

But is it still going to be considered pro right before the next update?

16. boostmiser macrumors member

13" MBSP....Mac Book Semi-Pro
    I wanted a better refresh on the 13"

17. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I'm kind of happy since I'm getting a 15" and this is a good speed "bump".

I feel sorry for pple who expected iX in the 13". I guess VAIO Z series sales will see an increase this month.

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm disappointed in the small things. We all knew that the iX core CPU's were coming. 4GB is fine the average user and 320GB of HDD is better than the measly 250GB of last model although that's still pretty low for today but that's a small problem that could be fixed.

The biggest disappointment has to be the display. Still sticking to the native/standard 1440x900 Apple? Really? And then charging for the higher resolution display? Come on. Apple finally decides to add the anti-glare for those need it...for $158 CDN because you're forced to purchase the higher resolution display. That makes no sense to me. Apple really wanted to price the MacBook Pro higher than it really is but chose to reduce the price to make it look more attractive but tacks on the ridiculous screen upgrades to make up the cost.

I was considering selling my late-2008 MacBook Pro but after seeing this, these MacBook Pro's aren't something to jump out at and purchase right away.

19. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

the new macbook pro's should give people a good reason to go with osx86 instead, now that the i5/i7 cpus are supported by the operating system.

256mb graphics on a i5 laptop + hiked prices? give me a break.

20. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Agree with the OSX86 scene, hopefully will make much progress now that there is an official i5/i7 Apple laptop.

If Acer can fit a Core i5/i7 into an 11.6" Laptop (TimelineX 1820T) why can't Apple put one into a 13.3" laptop like everyone else? :(

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple likes to play dirty and by their own rules!:p

(rules are as follows: take product, make minor adjustments, call it a refresh and set a price to rob consumers!)

22. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Overall, I think this upgrade feels very forced by Apple. You know, Apple used to be on the cutting edge of technology with their notebooks. Features that they had would trickle down to others as they were copied. Apple seemed to be a leader. Boy, how times have changed. Technology that I think is mostly standard or almost standard is still lacking for Apple:

-Better screen resolution. 1920x1080 is very common on pro notebooks from others. Sony I'm looking in your direction.

-USB 3.0 support. USb 2.x just plain sucks when doing large transfers. FireWire is good but a niche format. USB 3.0 is rapidly being deployed by other manufacturers. Google for notebooks with usb 3.0 and see the results.

-4 gig of memory is a joke. I thought 6 gig would have been the default. Aren't these supposed to be professional models here?

-256 or 512 mb are the only options? What about applications that are using the video card for processing? Valve is coming to the Mac for games and 1 gig would have been nice there too. 1 gig of video memory isn't exactly exotic these days...

-Anything smaller than a 500 GB HD seems silly for pro machines.

In the end, I just think Apple dropped the ball here. Pro machines with a premium price should have more features in my opinion.

-P

23. joina macrumors member

what!? not 1G but 512 GT330m hahahha
    oh wait....even has 256..at apple

24. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

i would have liked ips

but the new laptops r pricy

25. mikem7522 macrumors member

No IPS
    No Bluray
    No USB 3.0
    No Optimus
    Price Increase

I can't say i expected anything else than what we got though.