Disappointed With Apple.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dissapointed, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Dissapointed macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I just wanted to say if anyone from Apple is out there, how disappointed I am with the iPhone 4.

The 3G coverage I get is abysmal. I get virtually no 3G connectivity at all, and I live in an area where it's supposed to be excellent. I said to my network provider (Vodafone) I may switch to another provider to get better 3G coverage, and they said they are aware this is a problem, it's not a Vodafone problem, but its an iPhone 4 problem. They said I'll find the same problem with other carriers on this phone if I chose to switch.

Battery life is so bad that it's barely comprehensible how a company the size of Apple could get it so wrong. 100% down to 5% with about 2 hours use (really). I know this sounds crazy, but it is true. I have fudged around with settings and it makes little difference. I shouldn't have to mess around with settings - this is a very expensive phone.

And Antennagate - I can (again really) go from 5 bars to disconnection in a regular and repeatable manner when I hold the hold the phone incorrectly. I just want to say that last bit again as it says allot about his phone in general - 'hold the hold the phone incorrectly'. It's crazy if you think about it.

Everything I have said is completely true and accurate, and could prove it should I wish.

I am sending the phone back as soon I've finished typing this message. I'm glad I got the phone contract over the Web, as it gives me this option.

All in all it has been a very negative experience, and is the total antithesis of everything I would expect from Apple.

Apple, you have got this product very wrong, and people can see it - they really can see it.

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

Oh dear, prepare for a s***storm Disappointed.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

4. Los macrumors regular

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Are you kidding me? I don't know anything about Vodafone or where you're located, but I live in Central, Ohio and have zero issues unless I'm out in the boon-docks somewhere. Is Verizon better, yes, in terms of coverage, but not enough to warrant switching.

I doubt the coverage issue in your case is phone related. It's very likely provider and network related.

I have a 3Gs but the iP4 is supposed to be even better. I have been running a full 8-10hr day with little issue and plenty of use. It is settings related too, so to think it's not is not realistic. Watch your push settings, GPS usage and push settings of other applications.

6. Dissapointed thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just organised that, they're going to collect it.

7. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

2 hours of battery life? Sounds like you've got a dud iPhone 4, take it back and try another, or don't, its up to you.

8. cirial macrumors regular

9. charltonx macrumors member

I'm on VodafoneUK and my network experience is the same as it was on my 3G, very good.

My battery, whilst not as good as some others have experienced, is a definite improvement over my 3G.

Sounds like a network issue and faulty battery for the OP.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Until you've exhanged the phone for another iPhone 4 and you STILL have the problem, zip it. MOST iPhone 4 consumers are extremely happy. A minority of the users are having issues. Perhaps you have a lemon, so try and exchange it. If you persistently have problems, you are probably a candidate for an Android phonr.

11. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Interesting, my dad and I both get good 3G coverage at our house which is in the middle of nowhere as well as in many places when out, with him being on Vodafone and me being on O2. As for the battery, you must have a dud.

Btw, switch wifi off on your iPhone (if you have it on and its connected) and see if the 3G comes up.

12. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Sounds like you've got a defective phone. If I were you I would return it for a new one, and if you still have the same issues, then get rid of it. Also, I would never take a carrier's word that everyone else's service is just as poor as theirs because it's the phone's fault.

13. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

i need to go buy an iphone 4 before the 4th for my wife's birthday

16. Dissapointed thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I do have a duff battery, but maybe I'm not the only one (read down for comments in this link):
    http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/06...e-4-lasts-38-hours-on-heavy-use-yes-38-hours/

All in all - poor battery, poor 3G (my carrier says it's an iPhone4 issue), and 5 bar to disconnection issues, it's not quite what I was looking for.

That said, it is a beautiful phone to both handle and use. And I would happily consider one in the future, if they improved what is a fundamentally flawed product.

17. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Stop complaining.

get a replacement or a new phone.

18. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Did you do a clean restore (aka start as a new phone in iTunes) or restore the phone from a backup?

I've heard of people having wonked battery life from certain settings carried over. My battery life is definitely better than my 3GS's. Maybe 10-15% better. Try restoring as new. If you're still getting flaky results, then exchange your lemon.

19. andy9l macrumors 68000

This is the best bit about the whole complaint. Of course your network will blame it on the device. You think they'd say, "Oh yeah, we're rubbish in that area - we suggest leaving us for O2."?

If you're disappointed with your iP4, return it and get an HTC. They're just as 'good', regardless of what HTC/Apple fans tell you. There's a new Desire coming soon, take a look.

20. ianray macrumors 6502

You can reach Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to state the obvious but if you're unhappy with the phone, then return it. At this stage, there are plenty of other smart phones in the market, one of them should satisfy your needs.

Why register here, just to complain/whine when you can do something about it.

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Why tell them to stop complaining when they have already stated that its being returned? Complaining, up to a point, is a good thing because it warns others and spurs change from Apple on their dreadful design.

23. puma25uk macrumors member

3G coverage is a Vodafone issue. My business account used to be with Vodafone. I cancelled them because of their abysmal 3G coverage. My wife still has a 3GS with Vodafone and I get 3G pretty much everywhere with Orange on my HTC Desire, where she gets none on Vodafone on her 3GS.

One of my best friends has an iPhone 4 on O2, upgraded from a 3GS. His life is spent on the phone. I can vouch for the noticeably better battery life on his IP4, and 3G is almost always there, even on O2.

As others have said, you probably got a faulty phone. Get it replaced and see if it persists.

Good luck with whichever phone you end up keeping.