Disappointed with iphone 3g specs.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gothamm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

-higher monthly fees if you include data and texting
    - no video capture
    - no 3g downloads
    - no mms
    - no landscape keyboard in applications besides safari
    - same old camera
    - no cut and paste
    - no stereo bluetooth
    - no streaming bluetooth audio
    - no tethering
    - no voice dialing
    - no to do list
    - no 32 gig version
    - no haptic feedback
    - must activate at at&t store
    -

Please, I don't mean to flame. But i've gotta be honest in saying that I am VERY disappointed...

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

there is a pretty simple solution to this...
    don't buy it

3. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

No, that's not the solution as everyone here seems to smartly reply. We still believe the iPhone is far better than the other alternatives. Why can't Apple include these features that are merely software upgrades and have been requested since last January.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Making it equivalent to every other smartphone on the market.
    I really don't know what you're even trying to say here...

All are software fixes that have absolutely nothing to do with the "specs" of the iPhone 3G.
    32GB flash chips alone cost more than the entire 16GB iPhone does right now.
    Which is different from no other phone.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, despite your disappointment, which store are you buying your 3G iPhone from?

6. wako macrumors 65816

Wow... a bunch of Apple fanboys come flocking about trying to quickly protect their sacred product...

I think most of your (OP) points are valid. I really cant believe they still havent put MMS into the mix. However when I do get a 3G iPhone i cant say I really would mind. With built in email, why not just get the person who is trying to send you an MMS to send it through email?

I cant sum up my feelings much better than how SFState had said it though, despite all my disappointments, Im still going to go buy it :)

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"Very" disappointed? They added 3G and GPS, flush-mounted the audio jack, AND cut the price in half (technically, for us yanks). While some of the complaints are valid, GIVE IT A REST, FOLKS. Some people are never satisfied.

Higher monthly fees: yah, those suck. I could go on for hours about cell phone companies not trying to make things cheaper. There was a USA Today article about service costs dropping. Well, it was for plans that were $100 dropping to $80. Whoop-de-do, Basil. There isn't much that anybody has done between the pay-as-you-go stuff and the lowest tier of "normal" plans (like AT&T's 450 minutes). But I digress.

Video capture, cut and paste, the bluetooth stuff, voice dialing, 32GB, and the activation I'm all with you on. My crappy RAZR did video (crappily), and I'd love to take short videos in a few place. Cut and paste I want, but I really haven't thought of using much and I'm pretty sure it's not the easiest thing to do throughout the entire OS. The bluetooth stuff would make my life easier (get a wireless set o' headphones) and I'd love to see other parties have a bigger reason to build in bluetooth audio. Voice dialing I also had on the RAZR, but I give them slack since all other dialing is MUCH easier. 32GB, yeah I'd like it (one thing I'd wait for until buying), but they probably wanted to cut price more; it'll be 16GB and 32GB within a year. Activation, BOO.

As for the other stuff, eh. I assume by 3G downloads you mean music. That was probably done to keep from killing AT&T's 3G network. Other countries might have an easier time, but it would kill the thing over here. Apps are different because, well, think of how large an album of songs is. Much larger than 10MB. There's your App Store limit, and apps won't be downloaded as often. I could give a poot about MMS. I never used it before and just e-mail pictures now.

8. mark34 macrumors 6502a

to be fair, you can't include higher monthly fees on a disappointment list without balancing that out against a lower price for the product.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Where did you hear that? It's totally wrong. Third-party apps are fully able to use the landscape keyboard.

10. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Another identical thread to a billion others? Yeah, that's needed :rolleyes:
    We get the idea now, some hate the 3G iPhone, some love it......

11. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Those are not iPhone specs. They are details of American phone contracts. In the UK it is a different situation (and better than the original iPhone!) Why don't you post those on an ATT (or whatever the company is) forum?

12. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Oh boo hoo... Maybe I should complain that my Nintendo Wii doesn't play DVD's, maybe I should complain to the whole world even though it has generated Millions of Dollars for Nintendo and frankly they don't give a damn what I think...:p

13. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

^ That is not a spec list.

14. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

1) Video capture has been done as an App
    2) MMS is dog pooh. Just email - seriously this is like complaining about no RS232 serial cable support...
    3) portrait keyboard works perfectly. I guess app developers will use landscape when they feel it's required. Never ONCE thought I've needed a landscape keyboard. Do you have fat hands ?
    4) Camera - fair point - 3 or 4MP camera would have been nice but would also eat space pretty quickly. I can see this being drummed across the lands for the next 12 months by every other phone company in the world...
    5) Cut & Paste - coming - sooner or later - not that I've ever felt it necessary..
    6) Bluetooth Audio/Stereo - never felt like I've needed it yet but I could see how it would be nice but hardly a deal breaker
    7) tethering coming in the UK apparently - complain to AT&T about that one
    8) Voice dialling is dog pooh - I'm sure there'll be an App in a few weeks from launch that does it though...
    9) To do List - App store...there'll be 15 free ones and 10 commercial grad for less than $5 by July 12th
    10) ?? There's no 3D holographic projector either...
    11) Don't confuse human social interactions in a public space with the 'feature set' of a new phone.

This is a Pocket sized field proven super computer running OSX with 3G & GPS, and a 163ppi multi-touch display for $199. Just buy it and chill - the majority of stuff on your list will come from apps...

15. Roller macrumors 68020

There's not a day that goes by without me missing this feature - for example, when I'm sending an e-mail reply and want to cut multiple lines of quoted text.

How do you dial when you're driving? I agree that someone will do an app, though, since there's already one for jailbroken iPhones.

Agree, but why not include basic to-do functions and then let third-party developers offer even better solutions?

16. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Some valid points I must say. However most of these points are software related and will eventually be fixed.

Camera, bluetooth streaming and 32 GB version will most likely be included in the next generation though, and frankly, these are features I guess I will have to live without as of yet. :cool:

17. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

At 6-15 fps which is rubbish.

No it's not. MMS is a really, really handy feature and it's inexplicable why it's not natively available.

It's been 'coming' for a year. Where is it? And, again, it's really useful for text and e-mail edit.

Agree on this one, it's a pretty pointless feature unless you're using it as a car stereo in which case just buy an FM adaptor.

Mind you, if the iPhone 3G can't do bluetooth file transfer then that's pretty rubbish.

Nonsense. It's brilliant if you're driving.

I'm sure a lot of these issues will be addressed by the app store (although it rankles at having to pay - unless they're free - for things which come as standard on other smartphones) but to call some of them 'dog poo' is just silly.

'Super computer'? You're having a laugh - it's a nice phone running a cut down version of OSX with a brilliant UI so let's not get carried away here.

Still going to get one, mind. :cool:

18. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Im sure there are others here with me who are probably going to explode if they have to read this sort of crap one more time.

I have not read a single thing on the internet that praises the iPhone for the features it does have. All you are doing is adding to the already heaped pile of repeated dog crap. Yes everyone knows it doesnt have these features, but can anyone stop emphasising the fact, for some reason no.

If its that big an issue for you, as someone has already posted, buy something else. Why that is a smart arse reply, I cannot grasp, as it is a blatantly common sense reply. People arent necessarily fan boys disagreeing with what you are saying. They are allowed their opinion as well. Its like calling you a troll for posting this stuff, which has been gone over to death now.

When you get your WinMo iPhone killer, post back to tell us how you are getting on with all the features it has and what its like to use. At least that will be a breath of fresh air unlike this turd ridden repeated junk.

19. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

i am personaly disappointed with the design The 3G iPhone looks like the blackbook or the macbook. My current iPhone matches my MacBook Pro very well and looks WAY more professional.

I dont care for the GPS, and I frankly doubt even 5% of you will actually use it (dont even try to argue with that...). As for 3G... well, nothing beat a free WiFi connexion anywhere with fon.com

20. meagain macrumors 68030

We had a bad storm this morning.

I video taped it (with audio) on my iPhone. Came out great.

21. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

So what you are basically saying is, you dont need the new iPhone and the one you already have will suit you perfectly. So then what was the point of your post saying you dont like the design of the new one, when it really doesnt matter to you what it is like?? :confused:

22. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Why is everyone getting their "disappointment" lists from The Buzz Report?

With a price cut, initially, and also it's the same as other smartphones.

Yeah, I can understand that this is a disappointment. It should be able to do it. I won't be so disappointed if there's a free app, though. A lot of people say: who cares? there probably an app for it...but why should I have to pay on something that comes standard with so many other phones?

I don't really use the iTunes store on the phone...

I'm on the side of: just use email! MMS is pretty much going to die as soon as all phones can do email properly...besides, it's free.

You mean native applications, right? Yeah, Apple should've included it to, at least, SMS and Email.

...it has a good camera, at least the photos look great to me. But if you really want a AWESOME camera, buy a product that does just that. I mean, cameras on phones -- at least I see it -- are just there to capture moments that come out of no where, or that are frivolous.

Definitely MUST HAVE! Especially for email and such, I would much rather copy and paste URLs AT LEAST.

Personally, I don't care. Besides I think bluetooth audio quality "sucks," at least that's what I've heard from some people.

Blame AT&T.

On a touchscreen phone, this should be included.

I usually use "notes" IF I ever need it.

16gb is more than enough...for me...but 32gb is EXPENSIVE, and that is most likely why Apple didn't include it. Although I bet in two months there will be another announcement :rolleyes:.

Cool feature, not necessary. Couldn't care less.

Like every other phone....besides I believe in the "leaked" AT&T (what would you call it? iPhone rules?) on Gizmodo it said that if you buy it at an Apple store and it was not activated, you can always "do the tethering process through iTunes," which I'm assuming is if you bought it as a gift.

Anyway, that's how I feel on those points.

23. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I'm sure you'll love it and it'll bring joy and productivity to your life!

24. MojoWill macrumors 6502

i think to many people are comparing the iPhone to all the other normal phones on the market it is NOT a V3RAZR!

if you look at other smartpones in your local store then ask what the deals are you will find it worse than the iPhone.

if you don't like the features hen don't buy it! i don't see why this phone above all others gives kiddies the license to b**ch about it all the time.

try using a Nokia N95 then see which is better

I have been working in the mobile industry for years and this device is no different to others...

stop whining wait for the phone to actually be in the shops before you stat slating it alot of the things like MMS etc are software feaures

the tethering and activation and costs are down to you network provider bitch at them dont fill up this forum wth post after post on the same thing