Disappointed with ipod touch (not jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zoablive, Apr 29, 2008.

1. zoablive macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    Having just bought a ipod touch (16 gig ver 1.1.1.4) I am truly amazed by the technology and what it can do and how it does it. I'm totally blown away. However I am also very disappointed as I believe it could be so much more. Mail is great as is surfing, for me weather is a dismal failure as it appears it doesn't remember anything once you are off line and the web apps are hopeless as they only work on-line. Any extra apps to make my ipod touch more productive can only work if I jail break or wait until I don't know when for more apps which may be web apps any way. To me jailbreak is probably the only answer for the ipod touch to realize its true potential
    Have I missed anything

regards,

john

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sounds like the SDK will satisfy all your wants and needs once it's released in June.

3. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Just jailbroke my iPod touch

hey I just took the plunge and oh boy it was easier than I thought to jailbreak. I used ziphone and now I can play solitaire and textris when I'm on the trains woo!! Plus there are loads of apps to tryout so I'm pretty excited! Thank you hackers! Imagine I got my iPod touch for Christmas because I made the honors college at school and ok only now enjoying its full potential!

Btw, I typed this directly from the iPod so please forgive the errors.

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Theres a special mobile version of Macrumors that you might want to try. It's at http://mobile.macrumors.com. It's great for posting from the iPod Touch.

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Will it do my laundry and homework?

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

just jalbreak, it will give you everything you will need untill June

7. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Really dont jailbreak it... just wait for SDK..

Why lose your warranty when you dont need to.. JB should only be for Unlocking iPhone not for people to use applications not approved by Apple..

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Those functions will be available with the iPhone 3Ga version. ;)

Unfortunately, it is a little bigger and has wheels. :p

9. purpletarzan macrumors newbie

I'm in a situation where I don't have wi-fi alot and if my touch wasn't jailbroken I pobably would have sold it by now. Without wi-fi a factory touch is just a really fancy, very small capacity iPod (granted it does have the big screen but...) I've had my touch jailbroken since about two weeks after I bought it in October and LOVE it. Unless there is some really awesome free stuff in the SDK, which there could be idk, I may not bother with it. Why would I, when right now I've got Summerboard to put themes on there, all sorts of games and a bunch of semi-useful apps that I love. Some of the games that they've previewed look pretty cool but I'm gonna hold out to see what else is comming before I restore. Oh and by the way, jailbreaking won't void your warrenty as everything that it does on a touch can be undone by a simple restore.

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Get an iPhone, connected all the time, problems sorted.

11. Drucifer macrumors regular

I got a 16GB Touch a couple days ago and finally got it working with iTunes last night. I'm thinking about jailbreaking it but the model is 1.1.4 and I've heard some say that compatibility with 1.1.4 isn't that good so I don't know if I should or not.

Maybe I'll wait until June.

12. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I jailbroke my ipod Touch last night. It was running the latest update 1.1.4 and plus I had paid the extra 20 bucks for the apple applications. I used ziphone, with the only complication being I had to install netframe work for my windows desktop before installing the ziphone application. It took a mere 10 mins and the applications I bought from apple are still there. So far I've installed solitaire and textris. Later I'll do more. Any recommendations anyone?

13. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

But you can restore, and get your warranty back. The whole point of it is awesome 3rd party apps.....

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

As was said before, just wait for the AppStore in June, where you will be able to officially download both free and commercial third-party apps right from your iPod Touch. That way you don't mess with your warranty, you don't risk some random homebrew app killing your iPod (and thus leaving you with a dead iPod and no warranty), and many apps will be from commercial developers.

15. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

ANNNNNNND that is why there are tools, (ssh) and restore mode, and the fact that you CANNOT (leaving the BIOS alone that it) brick your ipod touch

and only somone really dumb or knowledgeble would touch the BIOS

16. stargurl84 macrumors member

I'm looking forward to this...I'm one of the few who don't want to ruin the warranty

17. Drucifer macrumors regular

If you can restore the iPod then you would be restoring it to the factory settings. This way they the iPod would no longer be jailbreaked and would appear as a normal iPod which in this case the warranty would be covered.

I could understand if you handed them an iPod asking for it to be fixed if it had a bunch of apps on it that you could not have any other way but this sets it back to factory settings. They wouldn't know the difference.

Same as PSP. You can install custom firmware but if you for some reason need to take it in to Sony for the warranty just install the official firmware take it in, they won't know the difference, fix it and return it. When you get it back install custom firmware again.

Simple as that, nothing to worry about and equally as easy.

And I think I will jailbreak mine when I get home from work. :p

18. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

reason for post = i wrote something.. posted it.. then decided to withdraw the information i posted. since i couldnt post a blank post or delete the post i had to put a full stop or period as the americans say.

19. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I'm with you on that one.

to the OP: if you want your apps to work while not connected to wifi, get an Iphone.

20. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I read that ziphone only works with the 8gb model, is this still true? I have a 32gb and want to jailbreak but can't be bothered with all the downgrading and upgrading etc.

21. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I'll wait for June. Nothing I need can't wait until then.

22. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

Well I have a 16gb model, and its been great so far. Have no idea about the 32 gb, though I think it should be fine. Do some research, see if anyone jailbroke their 32gb.

I was waiting on the sdk release in June, but my co worker who jailbroke his ipod Touch, encouraged me to do the same. I am glad I did.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's strange. If I'm offline, Weather just shows me the info it had when it was last updated (and online). What does yours show instead?

24. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Just an update, I did use ziphone with my 32gb touch on 1.1.4 and it worked great, no problems whatsoever, and very quick. I definitely recommend it. I had a 16gb one which I had jailbroken through the more complicated method of downgrading and upgrading, prepping, d/ling firmware, etc, and this was much easier. And people who keep talking about jailbreaking being dangerous to your ipod of warranty just have no idea what they're talking about.

25. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yes! Somone else who understands that it isnt a stupid thing :rolleyes:

And as for jailbreaking, with the new one click jailbreak apps, it is ridiclously easy