Disappointed with MacBook order

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by techtemple, Dec 5, 2009.

1. techtemple macrumors newbie

I've never used the mac, but bought one online on Thanksgiving Friday. The deal from iUniTek, an Apple reseller was a MacBook (White Polycarbonate Shell- MC207LL/A) with the following software: OS Snow Leopard, Ilife, Aperture, Final Cut, IWorks, Microsoft Office, File Maker, Bento, Install/Restore dvd.

This deal appealed to me because of the software that comes with it, especially Microsoft Office, Bento and Ilife. Before placing the order, I called both iUniTek's customer service and Apple's and verified if I will get CDs for these software and if all of this is included in the price. They said yes. When the shipment arrived this morning I saw only two cds. One is the MacBook, Mac OS X Install DVD (Mac OS version 10.6.1) and the other is MacBook Applications Install DVD.

I've been a PC user all my life and this is my first venture to Mac. Can someone help me understand what the two cds usually contain? I only opened the box and not the macbook yet, since I'm planning to return this if the cds don't come included in the price. I'm not sure if they are preinstalled, but the box says OS X and Ilife are preinstalled.. I have no way of knowing if the other softwares are preinstalled until Monday when iUniTek's customer service opens.

Any help appreciated..

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OSX and iLife. Nothing else. Call iUniTek and ask them to send you (free of charge of course) the original disks for the remaining software.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The other software discs might still be shipping. Otherwise the two grey discs only include OS X and iLife.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm sorry to hear this as you were indeed duped.

First and foremost, I would call Apple and report the reseller. This is a good time to write into sjobs@apple.com and explain the situation. Not because they'll rectify it, but because this reseller violated a handful of licensing laws. Next, I am unsure where you're located, but I would report the business to whatever entity would take such a complaint. I would also report them to whomever makes that software. Try to find a customer service e-mail address and be sure to explain that you were told you would get the install discs and you did not.

Finally, call iUniTek and explain to them that they owe you the install CDs and that you have reported them. You can call first and then report but I'd be downright pissed if they didn't provide a good explanation.

Edit: check this out http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/iunitek/r/819/

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Damn really? Before checking if it was a mistake or if the CDs shipped separately you would start off writing Steve Jobs and flying off the handle? Sure you added as a footnote how he COULD "call first THEN report"...geez.

My god no wonder I can't get normal service from Apple as they have people coming at them like this all the time. I could never work in retail knowing people act like this.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just wondered how much you paid for the system? Often the scammers will include pirated copies of software other than OSx/iLife and you think you are getting thousands of dollars worth of software for nothing. Unfortunately it's not the case. This kind of deal is very popular with scammers on eBay.

7. techtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

I paid $1150 for everything including shipping. I don't think iUniTek are scammers because they are authorized Apple resellers, which I verified after talking to Apple Customer service.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Any luck figuring out where the rest of the shipment is?

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's awful low for all that software. I suspect it's a scammer. Just because they are authorized resellers doesn't mean they are not scammers. If you look up the retail prices for the software and add it up you will get an interesting number. I'd still report them to Apple; their authorized resellers shouldn't be so dirty.

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Its a good deal if they give you the rest of the software... find out if they just "forgot" to include it and keep us posted...

11. sharkync macrumors regular

12. techtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

The deal still exits

The deal is still out there.. Go to www.iunitek.com and type mc207ll/a in the search box. You'll see the macbook listed for $971. Click on the description and see the software that is included. You'll see the following:

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

Software Included:
    iWork
    Final Cut Express 4
    Aperture 2
    Bento 3
    Logic Express 9
    Microsoft Office for Mac

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I looked at their web page, then tried logic express 9 on Amazon and it's $200. Obviously you don't get legit versions of the software. Can't imagine how they get away with it.

14. techtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, iUniTek is a registered Apple Reseller, so they have to obviously give licenced software. I contacted Apple and they too were surprised how iUniTek can give the laptop and the software for this price, but they said, because it's on their website and I've already paid, they have to honor the order. iUniTek, so far is refusing to acknowledge that they are responsible for the software.

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just because iUniTe is registered, the only licensed software they have to give you is the Apple software. For the other software, iUniTek is giving you pirated software. How Apple allows them to stay as a registered reseller is beyond me. It is not legit if they do not give you the install disks for all software that ships with the machine. Scammers always install software "as a courtesy", but never ship the disks.

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Are you 100% sure of that? I don't say that phrase anywhere on their site and a Google search for "Apple Reseller site:www.iunitek.com" returns no documents. Going to the Apple Reseller Locator at http://www.apple.com/buy/locator/ and puting iunitek in the store name (advanced option) also returns nothing.

Edit: OK they are listed if you put Encino, CA as the location.

17. techtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I understand scammers can install software as a courtesy, but a registered reseller like iUniTek, (which I verified by calling Apple) wouldn't boldly list this on their website. If they were truly scamming, do you think they don't know that Apple is going to cancel their reseller licence? Just because something is cheap, we shouldn't conclue outright that its a scam. let's give them some time to respond, see what they have to say and then come to a conclusion.. but for now, I'm fighting with them to send me the software cds..

18. techtemple thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got a call from the iUniTek manager and he admitted now that the ad was a mistake by the web programmers. They copied and pasted old code which apparently included these softwares, but the database had a new price. I told him he has to honor it, but they said there is no way they can give all these, since they are expensive and that they can give me a peanut $50 discount on the macbook, which brings it down to $920. I'm not sure if I should fight it out with them or just take their discount or return the macbook. Any suggestions/ideas?

19. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Tell them you'll take it up with your credit card company. File a chargeback with the CC co, they'll investigate it. Or just take the $50 :p

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

I believe that is called "bait and switch". Tell the CC people about it.

21. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I personally would tell my CC company and also return it. I would put my money to more honest people. You can probably get a better deal on Amazon also.
    Would Apple do anything this they are an "authorized reseller"?

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

my thought as well. Deal with a reputable dealer.

23. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Not that this changes anything, but if you go to their Policies page and click the link for Photographic, Typographic and Technical Errors you'll see this:

Photographic, Typographic and Technical Errors
    We do our best to be accurate but occasionally mistakes do occur. We are not responsible for any typographical, photographic or technical errors. NOTE: Products and packaging depicted may differ from stock available at time of shipment; we reserve the right to substitute equivalent items.
    Prices are subject to change at any time and will be corrected before charging and shipping when a price is incorrectly listed (due to a typo or technical error). A confirmation email will be sent and approved by the customer before any changes are made in this manner.back to top ​

I think they've covered their butts.

24. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

True, but after reading that I would never order from them at all.

25. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I was going to buy something from them late last night, but I read the policies and yeah, red flag. Also, their shipping charges were ridiculous...it was like $15 for a $30 item. :S