Disappointed with MBA 2013 screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cathyy, Nov 22, 2013.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I used to have a 2010 MBA and I recently just changed to a 2013 MBA. The difference in the screen quality is shocking! I remember the whites on my old MBA being way whiter, whereas now it simply looks grey. I also remember the screen being brighter as well. Right now I'm using it in cloudy weather and it seems pretty dim to me, and it looks like the screen is only at 3/4 brightness or something.

Anyone else noticed this issue after changing to a 2013 MBA? :(

2. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Have you tried calibrating the screen?

My 11inch 2013 Air is new to me by only about two weeks. I also have a 2009 MBPro and in comparison the screen for the Air was pretty disappointing to me until I realized I could calibrate the screen fairly easily (ha!). Now I'm perfectly happy with it.

System Preferences -- Displays -- Color tab -- Calibrate -- check the "expert" option.

You can save as many custom calibrations as you'd like and cycle through them with the arrow keys. It only took me two calibrations to be happy with it, but even if it takes ten tries I would think it's worthwhile.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

I would recommend that you calibrate your screen. (System Preferences > Displays > Color). It may help.

4. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm just calibrated it. Colours changed but overall it still looks pretty dim :(

5. july142 macrumors newbie

was going to calibrate last night.. but it seemed to complicated and I just cancelled out.... any tips would be appreciated...

6. stayley macrumors member

Look for some pre-calibrated profiles on the web. I couldn't do the calibration well myself. Check what screen you've got in your MBA (LG/Samsung) and google Macbook Air Samsung/LG display profile, or something like that.

The screen on the MBA is awful indeed (even by industry standards dating back a few years), but as far as e.g. whites go, calibration can bring drastic changes. The stock profile made everything yellow for me, now it's reasonably good (almost on par with a 4 year old Asus it replaced... makes me want to throw up just thinking about it).

7. july142 macrumors newbie

looks like I have a LG screen... is this good ?? I read i could just download a lg user profile and update it to my macbook ???

8. stayley macrumors member

Here's some stuff about the Samsung/LG displays madness:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499786

My personal experience is that I returned my first MBA, because of it's absolutely disgusting Samsung screen. I'm ok with the LG I have now, it's much better, but the Samsung must have been faulty. I don't think the manufacturer has much to do with the end-user experience in this case, since apparently both can come up with absolutely useless products.

As far as your question goes, yes, you can download a custom colour profile from the internet and use it on your mac. Here is how:

http://theultralinx.com/2013/03/macbook-air-hack-screen.html

But you may want to download a few more profiles and try one that best works with your particular panel. I went through about 20 before I found one that is acceptable.

9. july142 macrumors newbie

thank you for info... guess i got lucky, must be a sign to keep it.. :D

10. stayley macrumors member

Actually, the whole story leading up to the discussion I directed you to was about how Samsung displays are superior to the LG, and the LG being absolutely crap.

It really doesn't matter who made the stupid screen as long as it works as it should (and in fact I'd say neither brand does considering it's 2013, but that's Apple's fault really).