Disappointed with new 13" rMBP considering cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zaranoff, Nov 5, 2013.

  1. zaranoff macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2012
    So I recently bought the new 13" rMBP and coming from PC I thought this was going to be so awesome, since I've heard about the amazing quality of Macs.

    Well after just 3 days of owning it I returned it. It's actually a shame because it's such a beautiful computer and I just fell in love with OS X.

    The endless trackpad/keyboard freeze, the messed up WiFi, screen stuttering... It just did me in. I tinkered with the WiFi for several hours and could not get a stable signal, mind you that my crappy emachines laptop worked just fine in the same room.

    While scrolling through websites the screen lagged, it just felt like the Intel Iris could not handle the retina screen properly.

    But now I'm trapped, I just cannot go back to windows again... Not after experiencing OS X.

    So what do you guys say? Should I go with the still available cMBP? Several of my friends own that laptop and never experienced any issues with it, even after Mavericks.

    Will the cMBP be updated, or is this the last of it's kind?

  2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

    Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Maine
    What about considering the 13" MBA upgraded to the i7/8GB RAM? It has similar performance scores in geekbench to the rMBP, and because it's only driving a 1440x900 screen, there's no graphics lag.
  3. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

    May 28, 2010
    I'd wait for a software update if I were you.
  4. GSPice macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2008
    Honestly lots of barking up the wrong tree. As has been mentioned before, wait for software updates and/or exchange it. Think about it. If everybody had your experience, the 13" rMBP sales would cease.

    And besides all that, once you go retina, you can't go back.
  5. yliu macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    Apple should release a software update to fix the wifi, screen and trackpad issues.
    I doubt that Apple would release a faulty product.

    I am quite surprised to hear about the laggy scrolling. Even on a last gen. 15 rMBP scrolling through websites with the HD4000 is smooth most of the times. I don't really understand why the Iris would perform worse on a lower resolution screen.

    The cMBP will not be updated. Apple already stopped producing high spec'd cMBP.2 I would stick with it until the next software update.
  6. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

    Apr 14, 2008
    I wonder what the actual percentage is of users experiencing this? I want aware of WiFi issues.
  7. zaranoff thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2012
    That's also an option. But then again, heard alot of WiFi issues with the mid 2013 MBA aswell.

    Read about a possible software update that might fix the trackpad/keyboard freeze but none for WiFi or screen stuttering.

    Now I do realize that plenty of people are worry free and happy with their rMBP, maybe I recieved a bad one. For that amount of money spent on a laptop I do however expect basic stuff like WiFi and screen be in order.
  8. SimonFi macrumors newbie

    Oct 27, 2013
    Well, since not only hardware but also software is considered "a product", they definitely did release a faulty one. And it has some tradition to the latest apple releases. Just think about the introduction of the retina macbook in 2012...
    It should be embarrassing for a company like apple to announce the "best display in the industry" and then tell customers that ghosting is normal for IPS panels.
    After those display issues and all the other problems with the rMBP one should assume that apple will do everything to get the next product 100% right - but obviously (as we see now) they don't really care.
    It's a shame...

    Anyway - back to topic. I think you should have less trouble with the 15 inch model in terms of driving the high display resolution. And if you want to buy something which still has the "apple standard" go for the macbook air. Since they stopped selling cMBPs the air seems to be the last of its kind.
  9. Pikkuroope macrumors member

    Oct 25, 2008
    There still is the 13" cMBP.
  10. SusanK macrumors 68000

    Oct 9, 2012
    I have a MBA. No issues at all. Excellent WiFi.
  11. smakdown61 macrumors regular

    Aug 21, 2008
    Just got my 13" yesterday. No wifi or lag issues so far that I can see. Did encounter the trackpad/mouse freeze up though. A little annoying but there is a fix coming soon. I'm blown away how much better OS X is over Windows. Never going back now.
  12. yliu macrumors regular

    Jun 15, 2009
    The Macbook air is also reported to have wifi problems, however it does not seem to have trackpad and screen issues. If you want to be sure and don't want to make assumptions and try to predict what the future will hold for the issues with rMBP then go with a MBA or cMBP.
  13. zaranoff thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 10, 2012
    The reason for me not really considering the MBA is because here in Sweden the retailers are trying to sell of their cMBP's and there is a sweet deal that's ending this week.

    Plus (and it's a mega-super-duper plus) if I needed more storage/ram I could upgrade the cMBP myself down the line. The soldered on mess that's currently the MBA and rMBP is really off-putting.

    Hell I even considered an 21.5 inch iMac desktop until I learned the ram and hdd are out of reach.

    Anyway I thank you for all your replies so far, the cMBP seems like the only choice for me even if it's not going to get updated.
  14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Sep 8, 2009
    You'd have to be crazy to think that these issues won't be fixed. They will be. But it's an awesome machine, and can still be enjoyed.
  15. Branskins macrumors 65816

    Dec 8, 2008
    Wait for the update and those problems should go away :)
  16. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

    Nov 21, 2005
    I'm actually considering the cMBP myself for much of the same reasons. The only thing that scares me of is I can see support for it quickly ending with a future version of OSX requiring a Retina Display.
  17. FrozenDarkness, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

    FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

    Mar 21, 2009
    are you using safari? safari is really slow

    everything else for me is really fast
  18. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

    Aug 24, 2011
    My Haswell 13" rMBP has WiFi issues and the screen is warmer than I'm use to with Apple. I can't get WiFi to connect over 300Mbps using AC. Most of the time it's low 100s. The screen lag is not an issue until I move the slider all the way to the right, which is my preference.
  19. noob420 macrumors newbie

    Oct 31, 2013
    Im also somewhat considering the refurbished 15 released in june 2012. I was actually considering it the whole time. I purchased a late 13" retina and it has a yellowish tint, although i haven't ran the test...either way not too happy...
  20. drxcm macrumors regular

    Nov 2, 2010
    Love mine, no Wifi issues at all - rock solid on every connection I've tried.

    Had 2 freezes in 10 days. So far, not a big problem, sure it will be updated in software.
  21. Gilmore Girl macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2013
    Hi, I'm on my way to order the 13" too and coming frim windows I am curious what could have convinced you ("blown away") in a timeframe of 24 hours to never go back to windows? What is it that you like so much about OSX?
  22. mingoglia macrumors 6502

    Dec 10, 2009
    I too would wait for a software update. I have a mid range 13" with 16gig of RAM and a 512 SSD. I have experienced the freezing, which actually happened twice within the last hour. I have to put it to sleep and wake it up 3 or 4 times and it will start responding. The computer isn't freezing, just the input devices. It's really annoying and I hope there's an update soon.

    As for the laggy screen (forgot the term you used), I haven't experienced it. I'm also running 3 screens (mbp in the center with a large screen on each side). On one of those screens I run Windows 7 full screen with vmware Fusion and it still works great. Are you sure your wifi issues aren't causing the browser to stutter because pages aren't fully loaded? I have seen a bit of stuttering on say Facebook when it's loading everything and the page isn't fully loaded. However on stuff that's fully loaded it's as smooth as glass. Even my Windows 7 is almost perfectly smooth, and that's running in a vm.

  23. Quackers macrumors 6502a

    Sep 18, 2013
    Manchester, UK
    Buy a brand new Apple product then wait for some fixes to be issued.

    Is that the advice I'm reading here? That's really bad.

    Apple needs to stop issuing machines that are not up to the job. The list of problems straight out of the box is becoming endless!

    Try actually testing the products before selling them :apple:
  24. mingoglia macrumors 6502

    Dec 10, 2009
    Unfortunately all the testing in the world doesn't always make a perfect product under all conditions. You just can't account for everything until it goes from the hands of the few to the hands of the many. As many people do with cars, don't buy the first model year if you're not willing to deal with some hiccups to run the latest and greatest. The best companies are those that acknowledge the issues and work quickly to resolve them.

Share This Page