Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2011
Newcastle
So, having just watched the live stream I've been left disappointed. Got a 6S at the minute, I do a lot of walking so often have my recharge plugged in via lightning cable and have my EarPods plugged in for music.
If I get a 7, I can't do that. There seems to be no adapter to allow for both?
Anyone else in the same boat and any suggestions? I've been iPhone since day 1 but now I'm starting to consider other options. :(

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
They will need to come up with a combo adapter (headphone/charge).

Then it will be actually pretty nice as only one wire out of the thing....less tangle?....maybe?

WTF.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I have always plugged in headphones and charged at the same time. But that said, all it will take is a little big of planning. Charging my phone over night for a full charge to start the day. Throwing it in low power mode while listening via lightning connected headphones. Maybe dabbling with wireless. Using the adapter for current headphones. But regardless, at least for me, this is not the end of the world. I cannot think of any example where listening to music in low power mode will occur where I don't have access to stop and charge after 8-10 hours. Guess I am one of the few not concerned about this at all.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My suggestion, truthfully, is ask yourself whether you need a new phone. What makes you want the next one (other than it's the next best new thing from Apple)? Are you unhappy with your 6s?

Aside from the camera, I personally wasn't presented with a whole lot of reason to change from my 6s plus. Part of me now wishes I had picked up Apple care since I've never kept an iPhone two years, but I've also never had failures so... oh well.

I'll be staying. But Apple still got my money this year with Apple Watch series 2. So it's almost a wash.

Reactions: Surf Monkey

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You really only have a few options:

1. Wireless
2. Wait to see if someone creates an adapter
3. Charge at different times
4. Use another phone

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I wouldn't use the word disappointed, since I already knew what to expect (read: I visit MacRumors every day). There was a couple of things that surprised me, like the stereo speakers and the confirmed water proofing. But to your point: all in all not a substantial upgrade.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
It seems that wireless is basically their "solution" or a workaround for that (for charging and listening at the same time).

Which is just fine with me. I was pretty impressed with the AirPods.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My suggestion, truthfully, is ask yourself whether you need a new phone. What makes you want the next one (other than it's the next best new thing from Apple)? Are you unhappy with your 6s?

Aside from the camera, I personally wasn't presented with a whole lot of reason to change from my 6s plus. Part of me now wishes I had picked up Apple care since I've never kept an iPhone two years, but I've also never had failures so... oh well.

I'll be staying. But Apple still got my money this year with Apple Watch series 2. So it's almost a wash.
I'll be getting the plus, I'll definitely enjoy the updates.

Reactions: eoblaed

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Which is just fine with me. I was pretty impressed with the AirPods.
In some sense I agree, in another sense I would still really like to see a nice Y-adapter so that that charging can happen and headphones can be used at the same time.

Reactions: eoblaed

2SwiFt29

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
This is great news for people still on a two-year plan like myself. For people with a 6S/6S+? Sure if you're on a yearly upgrade program. I think the features are good enough for an upgrade anyways especially with the camera feature. I am disappointed that Apple wants to be wireless but not throwing in the AirPods for free. :) I'm sure this is their way to make money but at least they are including wired and the adapter.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'll be getting the plus, I'll definitely enjoy the updates.
Glad you're pleased :)

My recommendation was to the OP, or anyone else in the situation "looking for reasons" to upgrade. If you have to look for reasons, IME, it's not worth the money.

I was hoping you'd be right about a surprise. Not this year :(

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, having just watched the live stream I've been left disappointed. Got a 6S at the minute, I do a lot of walking so often have my recharge plugged in via lightning cable and have my EarPods plugged in for music.
Anyone else in the same boat and any suggestions? I've been iPhone since day 1 but now I'm starting to consider other options. :(
This is why my wife and I keep our old devices.

iPhone 5 as a media device with headphone jack to the rescue!

PowerGala

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2016

The dock still has a lightning and headphone port.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I liked the 7 event myself. I have the 6s plus. I wasn't sure I was going to upgrade and still am considering but the feature I am most looking forward to is the stereo speakers and the 256 HJ storage. That for me is worth a upgrade. I don't take a lot of pictures and the camera would be nice and while nice it's not what I'm most excited for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.