Disappointing battery life on 2015 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sf6864, Mar 14, 2015.

1. sf6864 macrumors newbie

I got my new 2015 MBP 13" 3 days ago, and have been getting about 6.5 hours with just Chrome (3-6 tabs) and Activity Monitor running. No videos. That's not much better than what I was getting on my 5-year -old MBP. I know it can take a little while to get to full capacity, but this seems way too short a life for such undemanding use. Anyone else notice that, or do I have a bad unit?

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

How is it when you don't use Chrome?

3. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

Chrome is notoriously bad for hogging CPU cycles. When Apple gives their battery estimate, they use Safari.

You might want to switch over, it's a lot smoother in zooming, scrolling.

I made the switch 2 days ago and I'm liking it so far

It's got extension support so RES and AdBlocking software works, it can sync your bookmarks and passwords from Chrome, and it doesn't hog CPU because Safari was designed and optimized specifically for Macs.

4. duervo, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I'm going to assume that on your 5 year-old system you were running the same thing ... Activity Monitor and Chrome (and same version of Chrome too) with 3 or 4 tabs open to the exact same websites on the same day as you were running the new system, because website content tends to change, unless you know for a fact that the site content is static.

Anyway, install something like CoconutBattery and have a look. If you don't like what you see, bring it in for them to look at it, or return/exchange it.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Ah the magic word - Chrome.

Try Safari. Chrome is a badly written resource hog on OS X.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Stop using Chrome.

7. sf6864 thread starter macrumors newbie

But I LIKE Chrome! :(
    OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice.

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I like Scotch. Doesn't make it good for me in huge quantities. :D

9. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

This.

I too love Google even more so than Apple but Chrome for OS X is just horrid.

Initially I installed it for the native flash support and to sync with my Android device but ever since youtube runs on HTML 5 and now that Pushbullet supports Safari I found no valid reason to put up with it any longer.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I did, too. Unfortunately, it hasn't been efficient since the Sandy Bridge MacBooks.

11. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

Might also be your extensions, not vanilla Chrome. Try turning them all off for a day and see how it goes. Also, Flash in general tends to disable certain types of power saving, so watch out for Flash-based video players and whatnot.

12. danistyping macrumors regular

yeah chrome sucks. i have the 2015 13" 2.9ghz rMBP and the battery lasts easily 10+ hours

13. sf6864 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys were right - switched to Safari, got approx. 10 hours. I find it difficult to use the icon-less Safari tabs (why do that? Icons have a purpose) but for the battery life, I guess I'll get used to it.

14. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

And what happens, if you
    - download the newest version of Chrome
    - disable all Chrome extensions
    and
    - set the "Click to play" option for browser plug-ins:

[​IMG]

?

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

16. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I have never liked Chrome for OSX. I go back and forth between Safari and Firefox. Firefox is a little bit piggy for battery life too, but not near as bad as Chrome.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

Chrome is a ressource hog that essentially spies on you. I'd avoid it like the plague.

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

I would get rid of Chrome as well. It has well-known issues.
    Safari will do the job.
    Download some useful extensions (like ZoomBySite, AdBlock etc.) and everything will be ok.

19. seth556 macrumors member

+1000 on all the anti OS X Chrome usage. When I switched to mac I used Chrome, once I started using Safari I couldn't go back. Plus it gives a lot more battery life and all.

I can only hope Microsoft's new browser for Windows is like what Safari is on a Mac.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

The only reason I still have Chrome installed is for Flash videos. I kick the page over from Safari to Chrome if Flash is needed. ClicktoPlugIn was good under Safari, but I decided ultimately that it would just be better to uninstall Flash altogether from Safari since it too is a resource hog like Chrome.

21. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No, it does not. This website (macrumors/MR) uses google-analytics.com. Is MR then equivalent with the CIA, or what!?

See also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics#Privacy_issues

22. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Use Safari Stand, gives you favicon tabs even under Yosemite...

Attached Files:

23. magbarn macrumors 68000

Chrome is horrible especially on Retina MacBooks. I guess the OP already found out...

24. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

This! Firefox is also a gem on OSX. Safariʻs more tightly integrated and the scrolling feels smoother, but Firefox has some great extensions and is blazing fast...I truly feel like itʻs faster than Safari (hard to tell, but it "feels" faster). I also love swiping backwards to load previous webpages in Firefox and not having to wait for it to reload like in Safari.

Either way....(and I use Chrome for Flash) Chrome is a resource/battery HOG!

----------

Really depends on what youʻre doing though. As Iʻm sure everyone will tell you. I can grind away at my keyboard for hours and Iʻll get only about 6 hrs. But thatʻs me doing some intense research/typing on my computer. Most of the time I see closer to 8 hrs.

25. wct097 macrumors 6502

Yep, as you've discovered, Chrome kills batteries on Macs. Problem with mine is that Chrome invokes the discrete graphics card.

That said, while i do use Safari for battery saving, i reject the assertion that Safari is "great" for anything other than battery life. As a web developer, i find Safari to be utter garbage.