Disappointing Radioshack Launch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ferrari450, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Ferrari450, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

Ferrari450 macrumors newbie

I heard the news yesterday that Radioshack will be selling the Ipad this morning. I called a local store here in NYC and showed up with only 5 people in line. I thought it was my lucky day! I waited 10minutes for the store to open and we all walk in and the manager tells us they only have 1 16gig WiFi and that it's a soft launch but we can all order one..

I understand it's great news for Radioshack to start selling these and all, but to give a store just one for their inventory?! Anyways, it's not a huge deal, I have one ordered from the Apple store but I thought I might get lucky and pick one up now in person rather than wait for April 19th to have to ship to me.

Anyone have luck at any Radioshacks?

2. blueridge macrumors 6502

blueridge

man that suxs.. i dunno why apple cant push more here in the states.. they didnt have problems releasing them overseas.. hope you get one soon..

3. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Better than my local store. I asked the manager about it and he said he didn't even know they were going to start selling them! Obviously they didn't have anyin stock either.

4. blueridge macrumors 6502

blueridge

why even advertise if they are not gonna have atleast 10 per store.. 1 and now NONE.. stupid.. buddy of mine wants ipad 2.. told him bout radio shack.. im sure he missed out.. haven't heard from him yet this morn

5. suneun macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I checked the radioshack here (Lincoln plaza Worcester ma). They had the ipad 2 display but none in stock yet. Took down my number and the guy who came in right after me. Said they'd call but it's still whoever is in store first.

6. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If th iPad gets you into a radio shack store, there is a chance you'll buy something else. They really don't care if they sell a single iPad. the free advertising is their goal.

7. bigluzer macrumors newbie

stopped at the RS on 42nd and Mad in NYC. guy said all 12 were sold out in minutes, after opening. said "probably every radioshack in the city is sold out"

8. Eallan macrumors 6502

9. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Shacks are garbage. They won't call you for stocks available. I put down my names on 4 local Shacks for the iPhone 4, and never received a phone call. When I called them, said they still have couple iPhones the next day after it launched. When I get there, It was already sold out. Imagine that.

10. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Live down the block from one so was able to show up before every1 right at opening (no line), asked the guy and I got the 1 of only 2 they received (32 GB black). Another guy came right after me and took the other one. Tried to upsell me but I politely declined - they said they only wanted to see how the product will do and expect another shipment in 3 weeks. Lucky.

11. Barbariska macrumors member

Barbariska

I called my local Brooklyn RS at about 9:30am they said they still have 16G, but I want 32 or 64 :mad::mad: Will keep looking :eek:

12. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol. What a joke. But it shouldn't surprise anyone, RadioShack has always been barely one step above worthless.

13. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Yep! At the Erie, PA Kmart plazza store they did not know if they would even carry them! Mgr stated he has already had 100 ph calls asking for the iPad 2. :rolleyes:

14. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

+1 each. RadioShack is as bad as those electronics "stores" that sell "NEW NEW NEW" phones on Craigslist. Why the hell are they still in business? Do old people have no other place to get their "tv stuff"?

15. RustyMusic macrumors newbie

If I was Apple I wouldn't even let Radioshack sell my products... I wouldn't let my dog shop there.

16. grapejoos macrumors member

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They DID NOT advertise.

Only 500 out of over 4000 stores carried a limited number of ip2.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Several local RadioShacks in DC have such a limited supply that 2 different managers told me over the phone that they had only a handful to sell

Others sold out in minutes

19. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I was able to snag two this morning!! :D Got to a somewhat remote Shack that was supposed to have these in stock, and it was just me and another lady. The store only received 3 units!!!

Probably the quickest sale that store ever made :p

20. BobbieM629 macrumors regular

Yeah, Radio Shack is the last place i would shop. They advertised a car radio on sale once (a couple months ago). We called to see if they had any in stock. The clerk told us they had not sold car radios in over 15 years! ironically we took a trip to the store anyways (since it was in a mall and we were going there) and found 2 of them on the shelf, for the sale price. I remember the clerks name on the phone, she also checked us out, and I said "Funny I heard you haven't sold car radios in 15 years." She turned tomato red.. Stupid Shack People!

21. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You should wear a brown sack over your head just to avoid being seen at a Radio Shack! They are the lowest life form in electronics.:eek:

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

I went to RadioShack last year to buy a new cable modem. It took me 10 minutes to try to explain to the sales person that it was an actual device and not a particular sort of cable (i.e. a wire). They didn't have any in stock anyway.

23. Built macrumors 68020

How is this a surprise? Anybody who heard anything about how RS handled the iphone 4 launch will already have anticipated that RS would not be a viable option for getting an iPad 2.

Sorry to anybody who pinned their hopes on RS.

24. HiDEF, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

same thing happen to me. I get there and I was the third person in line and when I asked for a 32gb, the last one was sold to the person in front of me. Luckily I took the last 16gb black/wifi in stock. Lots of customers will be disappointed when they arrive and find out they only have limited stock and by limited, I mean like 20 only.

I have a question though, does apple offer support at the store if purchased at a RS? anyone know?

25. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Tell me about it... Their sales people are more capable to sell you a cheeseburger than a 9V Battery.

RS used to be a great place back in the days... Too long ago to remember.