Disappointment in Macworld '08?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hunterjoules, Jan 15, 2008.

1. hunterjoules macrumors member

The one item I was waiting for was a 3G iPhone. I really do want an iPhone, but I think I would later regret the decision to get one if I got an EDGE phone and a 3G phone came out in a couple of months...

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Well the 3G iPhone is coming out sometime this year, but no one knows exactly when. The only thing I'll guarantee you though is that it will come out before Christmas.

But as for disappointment over the keynote; it's a subjective thing but I was personally pleased with it.

3. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

my prediction is that the 3g phone will come out about the time that the first iPhoners are at the 1 year mark for their AT&T contracts. AT&T lets you sign a new contract at the 1 year mark without penalty. This would be the perfect time because they could get new customers AND upgraders with one blow.

4. SilentLoner macrumors 65816

SilentLoner

What date would that be? I'm a I'm user and I hope not to be screwed over LOL

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

What was the launch day of the iPhone? That would be a likely target.

6. werkedm3 macrumors member

I don't get why everyone brings this up, as we all know, the iphone does not have the same contract agreement constraints that every other phone has. Apple/ATT let you upgrade in the middle of a contract to the iphone because the phone is not subsidized, but it does lock you in for 2 years. So to ATT/Apple, the time when agreements from original iphones are up means nothing to them.

7. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

With 3g.. Meh, I do just fine with edge, but i have never have had a 3g phone.

as for the update, very pleased with 1.1.3

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Not only that, but people are forgetting that it isn't AT&T that are calling the shots here, it's Apple. It wouldn't be AT&T that would dictate when a new phone would be available (ie, at the 1 year anniversary date), Apple will announce it when they feel it is the right time (ie right before Christmas).

I think that if they released iPhone v2 exactly 1 year after the original, it may piss off the original iPhone owners. Apple could avoid doing that, and make a killing, by releasing it before Xmas. Plus, it gives them more time for further development.

I'm just sayin'......

9. Kampy macrumors newbie

Also disappointed with iPhone news...

As someone who wants to buy an iPhone, but have been patiently waiting for an update, I too was disappointed.

I knew an announcement of a 2nd generation iPhone was a long shot, but I was really hoping for iPhone to get bumped up to 16 GB today. I think it will happen.... but who knows when?

Now, I'm not sure whether to buy now... or continue to wait for 16 GB or 2nd gen.....

10. outz macrumors 6502

why continue to wait? you were waiting because you thought macworld was going to announce a new phone... they didnt... so go ahead and buy it now, get 6 months use out of it, sell it, buy the 2nd gen (if it's even out at that point)

11. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

no 16gb iphone:confused:
    STILL no iphone in canada:mad:
    no update to Mb or MBP:eek:

very disappointed, back to waiting with this wack PC :(

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Cant say im dissapointed at all, and just cause the one thing you wanted to hear about, (which im my opinion was the last thing they were gunna talk about) doesnt mean the entire keynote was bad. :cool:

13. Surely Guest

Surely

What did you expect: "Oh, and one more thing..... the iPhone will now be available in Canada!!!! Introducing..... Ted Rogers!!!!!

Seriously?

The update to the MacBook was in November. See my signature below for specs.

14. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

true, but nonetheless disappointing. I was expecting at least a bump in memory size to tide the people currently waiting for the next gen iphone. As someone mentioned earlier, although it would be smarter financially for apple to release the iPhone later in the year (such as November or December), they tend to update their products every 6 months to a year. My guess is they will update it in summer.

15. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

Most iPhone users were not upgraders though. They were new accounts, according to data that I have seen.

16. iMikeT macrumors 68020

So why be disappointed then?

You are best off buying an iPhone now as I don't think that Apple will be updating its specs until before this year's holiday season.

17. werkedm3 macrumors member

Maybe so, but it still doesn't matter, since when iPhone 2 does come out, people will be able to upgrade no matter where they are in their contract.

18. Kampy macrumors newbie

You seriously don't think iPhone will get bumped up to 16 GB before Oct/November?

I think it will be way before that... in fact, I know EXACTLY when they'll do it. 2 weeks after I buy an 8 GB iPhone.

19. infosprt macrumors regular

Best laugh I had today. Thanks.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) Did anyone really think a 3G iPhone was coming out for MacWorld? It has to be FCC certified 6 months in advance, no such product has gone through their channels.

2) Why do so many people want 3G? There's virtually no coverage in the US. Japan is one thing, but in the US only major cities have it. Personally, EDGE is much more useful than 3G...and it would get better battery life to boot.

I'm ready to buy an iPhone but I need to unlock it and if I buy one today it'll have 1.1.3 :(

21. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

You are absolutely incorrect. Do a search for once. FCC approval only takes 6 weeks. Apple just held off on selling it so they could produce bigger revenue.

I figure the iPhone 2 will come out around a year after the iPhone's release so current iPhone users can just add 2 more years to their plan. Hopefully it will be sooner than that, but that is pretty unlikely.

22. lordgaino macrumors member

Disappointed with Macworld???!!!!

They have released a beautifully designed new product in the new macbook,

They have released software updates for both the iPhone and the iPod touch. Part of which provides a workable solution to the lack of GPS on the iPhone - one of the major gripes with the product.

Some people will never be satisfied!

23. merlinmagician macrumors member

The FCC approval is one thing which is a key indication that Apple aren't about to release iPhone 2 in the immediate future.

Also I think Apple are probably being a bit cautious about upgrades quite so soon after particularly the European launch. As was proved in the States people weren't too happy when they reduced the price hence Apple's peace offering of $100 credit. If it had to do something worldwide I think the bean counters in Cupertino would have something to say.

My prediction is for the end of the year once people have had time to get used to their devices and Apple has opened up some other markets (remember only UK, Germany and France have it so far - Spain is next if my memory is right).

As for MacWorld. I was kind of hoping for something really cool, having 1.1.3 upgrade was good but most of the features I am not really bothered about.

If they had brought forward the SDK then I think that would have been a major coup.

MacWorld this year was ok but not as good as previous years or alternatively I am spending way too much time on rumour sites and have spoilt the surprises.

24. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Belive me I'm an avid Apple fan but sometimes it cracks me up how you guys are so thankful for so little.

The triangulation in Google maps aka fake GPS has been available on BlackBerry for months. No technological breakthrough here, they just ported it to the iPhone which probably took Google about a day to do plus a little QA.
    http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2007/11/new-magical-blue-circle-on-your-map.html

And $20 for an iPod Touch software update?! Do they need to capitalize on everything?

25. MacPhilosopher macrumors 6502

Hilarious...

Cracked me up!

I have waited for Macworld 2008 because I was so sure that they would announce the 16GB iPhone. I am a little disappointed, however, they certainly can't pre-announce the 16GB since it would devastate their current sales. I also believe that they would not want to update them until a few weeks past the holiday gift giving season so that they do not have to refund/rebate in the 30-day period. That said, how long should I wait? One month? Two? Foolish, I know. I should just buy one tomorrow. One thing for sure, they are not waiting until next holiday season. If anything, it will be used to bump up lagging sales once they drop off in a few weeks.