Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
A lot of us former OneDrive users have abandoned it and moved to other services (Dropbox, Mega).
A few actually ended up with data loss after the botched OneDrive update.
Personally I have moved to Dropbox (I had a 1 month trial for 2TB) and so far it has worked beautifully and I have literally no headaches or worries. I read reports Mega works really good too.
You can try to tame OneDrive, but a lot of us have tried and failed. Your call in the end.
I think Dropbox will soon roll out a similar change to their product. We'll see if they do a better job than OneDrive.

I read earlier in this thread that they would start rolling out the beta in March. I have read reports that it just doesn't work for some people.

• Wow
Reactions: decafjava

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I think Dropbox will soon roll out a similar change to their product. We'll see if they do a better job than OneDrive.

I read earlier in this thread that they would start rolling out the beta in March. I have read reports that it just doesn't work for some people.

Here's a thread on these forums that touches on Dropbox issues https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tensions-used-by-dropbox-and-onedrive.2332742. The posts from 4/13/2022 are the ones I was remembering.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The difference is that Dropbox has both 'files on demand' and synchronise a folder with Dropbox. Microsoft chose to only do 'files on demand'.

Both have access via their API, so other products can still use OneDrive and Dropbox cloud stores - e.g. Arq for backup and Goodsync for folder sync. I use both those examples with OneDrive.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
The difference is that Dropbox has both 'files on demand' and synchronise a folder with Dropbox. Microsoft chose to only do 'files on demand'.

Both have access via their API, so other products can still use OneDrive and Dropbox cloud stores - e.g. Arq for backup and Goodsync for folder sync. I use both those examples with OneDrive.
Does Goodsync works fine for Sharepoint too ? Won't it be limited by the same API issue at some point ?

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Confused. I have version 22.065 from the App Store but it's still Intel. People are saying their earlier versions are native.

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Well, after reading this thread, I thinking in downgrade to BigSur and stay there.

I use Dropbox for work files and OneDrive for personal files. I keep iCloud for documents and pictures. I am not open to revoke OneDrive and Dropbox as these tools are reliable and have been working well for too many years. I love Dropbox history and file indexing. And I like how OneDrive is fast to download in my iOS devices.

But I'm ok to revoke Monterey. I don't think I care enough been running the latest OS.

Let's google a way to downgrade on M1 Mac... :cool:

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Downgrade successful!

BigSur installed. OneDrive working as expected, my display is not flickering anymore and I believe it will not flicker anymore.

Why did I upgraded to Monterey? Can't recall :oops:

Macs Pain

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Germany
So is there any fix for the problem that files only in the cloud are taking up disc space because the files are also located in the users library for any reason? Deleting the folder in the user library is not possible because OneDrive immediatley stops working. Folder is 300 GB and counting...

tryonk

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
I'm another OneDrive refugee on M1, looking for a better solution. I have the added issue that I want to store all my files locally on an external drive, and the OneDrive solution is kludgy at best--it uses TWO shadow folders and still breaks Time Machine backups, QuickLook, and Spotlight.

I've been looking at Dropbox forums, and users seem pretty pissed at them as well for their delayed M1 native rollout. I'm still trying to find reliable information on Dropbox and Apple AFP, as AFP seems to be the root of the problem. Apple really wants to push files on demand (to be fair, Box has been pushing this for years, and I have crossed my fingers and hoped Box Sync would continue to function at work, as they push Box Drive).

My needs are pretty simple and common, if not the majority:
  • Canonical versions of all files live on my local storage
  • Local storage is on an external drive (very common for photographers)
  • Cloud storage syncs local files to the cloud for access on other devices and sharing with customers, colleagues, etc.
Apparently this has become difficult (read, inconvenient for maximum revenue) for cloud storage providers, as they're all pushing Files on Demand. It's weird that Apple is basically forcing a move to AFP when it breaks three of their own features—Time Machine, QuickLook, and Spotlight. Carbonite backup can request a file download on the fly with some services, but it looks like OneDrive on AFP breaks that too.

I'm very tempted to go back to Dropbox from OneDrive to get my local files back and because many of my iOS apps integrate better with DB, but I'm thinking I'll have the same problems once they are forced into AFP. Can anyone clarify DB's roadmap? Are there solutions that would meet my three requirements? StrongSync looked promising, but it didn't make the cut once I pushed it.

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
Dropbox already has a native M1 client.
As far as Dropbox's roadmap, nobody really knows for sure. After OneDrive crashed and burned, I moved all my files to Dropbox and so far it is working well. If Dropbox crashes and burns too, I'll move to a different provider and life goes on.

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 5.35.03 PM.png

tryonk

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
Dropbox already has a native M1 client.
As far as Dropbox's roadmap, nobody really knows for sure. After OneDrive crashed and burned, I moved all my files to Dropbox and so far it is working well. If Dropbox crashes and burns too, I'll move to a different provider and life goes on.

View attachment 2008678
I had seen Dropbox has an M1 native client now. My question was more about Apple AFP—since they are pushing that so hard for file providers, will DB have to move to using it as well? From what I've seen, they aren't using it yet, and it seems that a lot of the problems with external drives and files on demand are baked into the AFP framework.

MS has nominally worked around those with OneDrive, but telling it to keep folders on the local drive works sporadically, and local files will disappear without warning. So far the files on demand functionality has worked for me, although I've seen horror stories online, and I sometimes have to manually download files to get them to open without error. This was definitely Not Ready For Prime Time.

FWIW, I never got rid of my DB account—I just stopped paying for more storage, so I only have 7 GB from inviting friends to join ten years ago. I just upgraded to 2 TB with a monthly payment, and I'm going to see if I can successfully transfer my 450 GB of OneDrive files to DB. Wish me luck. At least I upgraded my broadband recently.

tryonk

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022

Little delayed here—MS added local storage after an outraged reaction from users who were blindsided by the change. It’s glitchy and often doesn’t work, and the icons are broken. It’s especially bad if you want to keep local files on an external drive, although that’s the fault of Apple’s AFP API.

• Sad

Rafael Santos

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2019
I got my brand new Mac Studio. Had several crashes in almost a week. *All* caused by OneDrive, apparently when trying to download too many files to the Studio.

• Wow

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
I was posting earlier in this thread, having had all kinds of trouble with OneDrive on my M1 MBA, but in the last few months it has been... fine? And behaving as it used to. Local storage works. Cloud storage works. Files on demand work. Files "always on this device" works.

Running Version 22.099.0508.0001 (Standalone) (Apple silicon). I have "Get OneDrive Insider Preview updates" checked (actually it is checked and greyed out, I have opted in via my MS Office 365 subscription).

My entire workflow depends on OneDrive, so I was looking for stable and reliable alternatives, but it seems to be back how it used to be now.

tryonk

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2022
I was posting earlier in this thread, having had all kinds of trouble with OneDrive on my M1 MBA, but in the last few months it has been... fine? And behaving as it used to. Local storage works. Cloud storage works. Files on demand work. Files "always on this device" works.

Running Version 22.099.0508.0001 (Standalone) (Apple silicon). I have "Get OneDrive Insider Preview updates" checked (actually it is checked and greyed out, I have opted in via my MS Office 365 subscription).

My entire workflow depends on OneDrive, so I was looking for stable and reliable alternatives, but it seems to be back how it used to be now.
Microsoft massively botched the AFP rollout, but they have been making steady improvements. I still have issues, but I also have a lot of files (roughly 500 GB) and I'm caching on an external drive. FWIW, I've had no issues with my iCloud Drive, although I use only minimal storage on that—we wave 200 GB shared among four family members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.