Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple back in April ended development on its AirPort line of products, which includes the $99 AirPort Express, the $199 AirPort Extreme, and the $299 AirPort Time Capsule.

At the time the accessories were discontinued, Apple said that it would continue selling existing stock until available supply was exhausted. It appears that point has been reached for both the AirPort Extreme and the 2TB AirPort Time Capsule, which have been removed from the Apple online store.

airport_roundup.jpg

There are no longer any AirPort products available for purchase from the online store or Apple retail locations, with the exception of some refurbished AirPort devices that may continue to be available on the refurbished site.

Apple had not updated its AirPort products since 2012 (Express) and 2013 (Extreme and Time Capsule), and rumors in 2016, which ultimately turned out to be correct, suggested Apple had stopped development on the product with AirPort engineers reassigned to other devices.

In lieu of its own line of AirPort products, Apple is now offering third-party routers like the Linksys Velop mesh Wi-Fi system.

Apple's AirPort base stations provided some unique benefits that are not available through third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express.

Though the AirPort devices have been discontinued, Apple plans to provide service and parts for the current generation models for the next five years.

Article Link: Discontinued AirPort Extreme and 2TB Time Capsule Finally Disappear From Apple Online Store

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
I'm still using my expresses for streaming music to different zones in the house. Trying to meet a craigslist guy today to buy the newer version to replace one of the old original models that doesn't support AP2.

Reactions: VMMan

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The AirPort stuff just isn't keeping up with the feature sets of other devices. Got a Ubiquity https://amplifi.com setup and it was as easy or maybe easier to setup than the old AirPort

Yes, Apple showed them the light, and now router manufacturers are finally delivering systems that are user-friendly. I set up an ASUS router five years ago and it really impressed me how effortless it was.

This day has been coming for a while. One day, Apple may see another area of technology that needs fixing and step in. But until then, routers is not that area.

Reactions: SkippyThorson

dzhukov

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
So glad I found brand new Time Capsule with a great discount few months ago.
I've already got the same one, but.. get it while you can, right?

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
My AirPort Extreme is working great, I love the parental WiFi controls on it. Only thing is it’s range and strength. Which newer device offers same WiFi controls with better whole home coverage?

Reactions: bernuli

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.