Discontinued AirPort Extreme and 2TB Time Capsule Finally Disappear From Apple Online Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple back in April ended development on its AirPort line of products, which includes the $99 AirPort Express, the $199 AirPort Extreme, and the $299 AirPort Time Capsule.

At the time the accessories were discontinued, Apple said that it would continue selling existing stock until available supply was exhausted. It appears that point has been reached for both the AirPort Extreme and the 2TB AirPort Time Capsule, which have been removed from the Apple online store.

[​IMG]

There are no longer any AirPort products available for purchase from the online store or Apple retail locations, with the exception of some refurbished AirPort devices that may continue to be available on the refurbished site.

Apple had not updated its AirPort products since 2012 (Express) and 2013 (Extreme and Time Capsule), and rumors in 2016, which ultimately turned out to be correct, suggested Apple had stopped development on the product with AirPort engineers reassigned to other devices.

In lieu of its own line of AirPort products, Apple is now offering third-party routers like the Linksys Velop mesh Wi-Fi system.

Apple's AirPort base stations provided some unique benefits that are not available through third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule and AirPlay functionality for the AirPort Express.

Though the AirPort devices have been discontinued, Apple plans to provide service and parts for the current generation models for the next five years.

Article Link: Discontinued AirPort Extreme and 2TB Time Capsule Finally Disappear From Apple Online Store

2. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

What, if anything, does Apple officially recommend people to buy instead?

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I will miss you my friend. I bought up a few on eBay to keep my house going for a while. Years I hope. Sure there are other options but I have had no issues at all with mine so I keep them going.

4. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 68000

R.I.P., best (most stable) routers on the planet...

5. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Well when mines dies, I'll just have to do Time Machine directly on my iMac and make it a Time Capsule so other users on my home network can backup wirelessly.

6. AngerDanger, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

It's like watching Infinity Wars all over again.

airvengers.gif

"I don't feel so good, Mr. Cook…"

7. tromboneaholic macrumors 68040

tromboneaholic

"Apple's AirPort base stations provided some unique benefits that are not available through third-party options like built-in Time Machine backup support in the Time Capsule"

My Asus Wi-Fi router actually supports remote time machine to a hard drive plugged into it.

8. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

So sad. I got the Extreme 3 months or so ago and I love it. It works well with my Express.

9. MarcKerr macrumors newbie

MarcKerr

The AirPort stuff just isn't keeping up with the feature sets of other devices. Got a Ubiquity https://amplifi.com setup and it was as easy or maybe easier to setup than the old AirPort

10. Wilford macrumors newbie

Wilford

Why are they ending this popular product?
    Don't Apple enjoy making money?

11. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

I'm still using my expresses for streaming music to different zones in the house. Trying to meet a craigslist guy today to buy the newer version to replace one of the old original models that doesn't support AP2.

12. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

Yes, and Samba does now provide very good and effective time machine settings. So any router with the newer versions of Samba should provide it without problems.

13. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Yes, Apple showed them the light, and now router manufacturers are finally delivering systems that are user-friendly. I set up an ASUS router five years ago and it really impressed me how effortless it was.

This day has been coming for a while. One day, Apple may see another area of technology that needs fixing and step in. But until then, routers is not that area.

14. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Bought google mesh with a frown on my face

15. dzhukov macrumors newbie

dzhukov

So glad I found brand new Time Capsule with a great discount few months ago.
    I've already got the same one, but.. get it while you can, right?

16. MarcKerr macrumors newbie

MarcKerr

That is a very nice feature that I've not seen on other devices.

17. eldo33 macrumors regular

such a strong statement...guess you only used the Apple branded one then cuz i had one in the past and lasted only few years. Been using Asus one and worked very very well.

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I’ve owned the last two. The last one still works like a champ.

But I’ve moved on to a mesh system and g drives as back up alternatives.

19. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My AirPort Extreme is working great, I love the parental WiFi controls on it. Only thing is it’s range and strength. Which newer device offers same WiFi controls with better whole home coverage?

20. katbel macrumors regular

katbel

21. Swazaloo macrumors regular

Very sad, maybe they'll release a mesh networking system in the future. Seems like getting an Eero or Orbi is the way to go these days. The Orbi is technically better (on paper), but it's just too ugly for me so I'll be going with Eero.

https://eero.com/
    http://www.ca.netgear.com/orbi/

22. now i see it macrumors 68030

23. falainber macrumors 6502a

falainber

Apple watch bands.