Discontinued iPad2's

Discussion in 'iPad' started by skywalkerluke, Sep 22, 2011.

1. skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

"What’s interesting is that Target only has the 3G models marked as discontinued, with the WiFi-only models still in stock. What’s more likely than Apple getting ready to pull the plug on the iPad 2 and launch the iPad 3 is that Target is going to stop selling 3G iPads and stock only the WiFi models."

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/zomg-ipad-2-discontinued-at-target-what-could-this-mean/14845

This story above is from 6 days ago, now some of the WiFi only are showing up as discontinued.

The following are all models showing up as discontinued at Target:

:apple: WiFi Black 64GB

:apple: WiFi White 64GB

:apple: Wifi + 3G AT&T Black 16GB

:apple: WiFi + 3G AT&T White 16GB

:apple: Wifi + 3G Verizon Black 16GB

:apple: Wifi + 3G Verizon White 16GB

---------------------

I'm not saying that an iPad3/HD is coming out this year, but it for sure points to a new iPad coming out in early 2012 I think.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Really? As opposed to the more logical conclusion that they're dropping 6 slow-selling SKUs out of the 18 total they carry?

3. skywalkerluke thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand the WiFi + 3G, but BOTH 64GB WiFi only models?? Right before xmas?? Last year no one could stay in stock of any model of iPad around xmas. All I'm saying Is what I think . If you do not agree with what I think, that is fine. I'm more or less just passing this info on to everyone. :D

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

They just get rid of slow-moving SKU's, is all.
    It's said most iPad owners use it mostly at home. The minority who use it on-the-go also have alternate solutions like using their phone as Wifi-hotspot, rather than paying 130 bucks more and for an additional 3G sim.
    It's also very understandable that the 64G is not that attractive. With 32G, you may have to juggle some but you're mostly good to go and that'll be even more true when iCloud is fully rolled-out.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Target knows what sells and they have to make room for Xmas stuff. 18 SKUs of iPads is nutty.

6. skywalkerluke thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with the 3G, I think Target is dump to stop carrying the 64GB right before xmas though.

That's true, I'm sure the 16GB + 3G don't sell that great. 18 SKUs is a lot, but they all fit into one case. I guess we will see, I also have heard rumors that iPad3 might not come till summer 2012.

Like I said, I more or less just wanted to pass the info on. It will help if anyone is going to go looking for one of those models to know Target does not have it/will not have it. :D

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's a lot of inventory to carry when you multiply it out by 1,700 stores.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They are exactly the units that sell least.

People spend either a little, or a lot. Those who spend a little want WiFi + 16 GB, those who spend a lot want 3G + 64 GB. The models that are dropped are the both combinations (cheap + expensive), either cheap WiFi and expensive 64 GB, or cheap 16 GB + expensive 3G.

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Makes sense that those would sell less - people buying the 16GB are looking for a relative bargain, so they won't spring for 3G. People buying the 64GB aren't worried about cost, so they don't bother with wifi-only.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

On top of the other posts explaining a more logical reason (cutting back from carrying 18 different models to a subset that sells best), consider this thought:

What lunatic would discontinue selling ipad2's as we head into the Christmas shopping season and bring out the successor after Christmas? It's late September, anything being sold for Christmas 2011 season is (and has been) in production now.