Discovering new music.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ozzyman500, Apr 1, 2010.

1. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I already know this isn't probably the best place for this but I'm sure it will get more replies here. So my question is how do you all discover new music? I'm seriously considering getting Sirius and I have music channels at home I can listen to on the TV. What's your favorite way?

2. alent1234 macrumors 603

pandora, slacker, aol radio, iheartradio

Sirius/XM is a waste of money

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Friends+YouTube.

One of my friend's dad is an avid music buyer. Buys a new CD or two every three days or something. So, since his and my music taste are very similar, he usually tells me of new artists, and I YouTube them.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

and MySpace music has a lot of musicians and small bands. i would check it out only if was part of the myspace iphone app

5. Nebulance macrumors 6502

Nebulance

I usually end up branching out into the influences of the bands I already listen to. For instance, Tom Petty has lead me to Booker T. and the MG's, the Byrds, etc.; Ryan Adams & The Cardinals has lead me to the Grateful Dead (quite a few years ago), for example.

6. ozzyman500 thread starter macrumors 65816

I remember on another iPhone site that there was this site called Grooveshark. Does anyone like that?

7. sculfort macrumors member

I use grooveshark everyday, but its not for finding out new music. Its for streaming music that you search for. Nonetheless its extremely nice to have.

8. xsecretfiles macrumors 6502

I'm subscribed to tons of youtube record labels or music review videos

but as far as iphone apps...I recommend lastfm

9. Yojiirill macrumors regular

I'm a geek. I go to critical aggregate sites like Besteveralbums.com to see what the "best music ever" is, and I go to cheap places like Amazon, Emusic, and my used bookstore to find those.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Last.fm is great. if you install a scrobbler, like CoverSutra, that uploads the artists you listen to, it then tells you similar artists and songs. I also use it to see which songs from an artist are most played.

i would love to try Spotify, but unfortunately not available in my country.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I have Sirius and enjoy it a lot--not a waste of money for me. I listen to classical, jazz, rock--my favorite station is Alt Nation which is a good place to find new music. I also have a paid subscription to Slacker and find it the best of the three streaming products--for me it is better than Pandora or Last FM. But music is extremely subjective as it the way we listen to it so your best bet is to try some different things to find what works best for you and your music tastes.

12. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I mainly use Last.fm, Myspace and Youtube to find new stuff.

13. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Just friends really, sometimes they'll put something on and I'll like it, most of the time it's not my taste though. Otherwise, the radio, the normal old-school one.

14. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I check Pitchfork often. Mainly their Best New Music section. If I like what I read, I download it. If I like it a lot, I buy it. You can hear a lot of cool new music on their Forkcast-pages, too. Coupled with Last.fm, I think Pitchfork is the best source for discovering good new music. For most streaming media, Pitchfork uses Lala, which also works very well.

15. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I just recently got into Last.fm, and I'm quite happy with it.

16. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

+1 for Last.fm

I also read some music blogs but it's mainly last.fm.

17. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Pandora Radio. found out I was missing out on a LOT :D

18. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Beat me to it. I hate to use pitchfork so much, but despite all the flak it gets, it's really a great site. I would only add pandora, and cokemachineglow.

19. BROCK22 macrumors newbie

BROCK22

I always use grooveshark but it's the best if you already know which song you want to listen to. I think there's this one called spotify? I hear people mention it ia lot but I haven't really checked it out.

20. nicque macrumors regular

21. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

iTunes store genius sidebar

you can pick a song you already have and it suggests 10 songs that are similar taste you can buy, as well as other songs from the artist you dont have and other albums

also on the itunes store home page it has a box named 'genius recommendations' which is based on your library and recommends albums and songs

22. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Music blogs, mostly -- Pitchfork, Stereogum, Aquarium Drunkard, Kitsune Noir, and Panel are my staples, but I also frequently surf the blogrolls of critics I trust.

I don't like Pandora, to be honest. I guess it's good for passively finding new music, but I prefer actively researching music. Last.fm is a good alternative to Pandora in that regard.

23. 2056 macrumors 6502

i've used last.fm for several years and it's been decent at recommending artists. lately i've been hearing more and more positive things about pandora so i'm going to give it a try.

i also have xm radio in my car, but definitely don't use it due to my ipod. i tried cancelling and they offered me 5 months of service for $20. :rolleyes:

24. dnguyen macrumors regular