Disgrunted with Apple for the following reasons

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by catboy76, Oct 28, 2010.

1. catboy76 macrumors newbie

Made the mistake of upgrading to IOS4 which has significantly impacted performance.
    Apple don't allow you to revert back to an older version of the OS.

Looked everywhere for advice on this but I can't seem to SEND email from my YAHOO account
    I can receive but can't send. Getting a message along the lines of:
    "unable to send, a copy was saved in your outbox"

Weird thing is, it DID work previously.

Any solutions/ideas on either of the above issues? Ta very much.

2. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Did you try deleting/re-adding the account?

Did you reset Network Settings?

-J.-

3. catboy76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there, I did try removing and re-adding the account and even entering the details manually. It may be to do with Yahoo in particular because I since set up a second account (Gmail) and was able to send from that one. But the Yahoo one is what I want to use for everyday purposes.

Did I reset network settings? No, i haven't tried doing that. Before I do so, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Does it have any other implications in terms of data loss?

Thanks

Cb

4. benfica88 macrumors regular

5. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Only if you were previously jailbroken, I believe?

OP, having to reset your mail account after upgrading your OS is not really a reason to be "disgruntled" with apple… Deleting/re-adding your mail account shouldn't have any other side-effects.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So its Apple's fault you cant get your email account to work?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There's no reason to downgrade to get your yahoo email to work.

8. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

If I'm not mistaken, when you reset the network settings, any "known" encrypted wifi connections are lost and you'll have to re-enter the encryption key to reconnect. i.e. if you've got your wifi turned on so when you get home your phone automatically connects to your home router, you'll lose that until you re-enter the encryption key.

9. catboy76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, we’ve established that. For the benefit of everyone else it would be appreciated if you would try and keep up with the conversation.

It may have occurred after the first time I tried to email a photo.

I should point out that the email issue is unrelated to the IOS4 upgrade.

The phone has never been jailbroken.

Benfica88, trust me, I have tried googling a potential downgrade solution but I get the impression it’s not as straightforward (or reliable) as I’d hoped. Hence the reason for asking here.

KentuckyH, thanks for explaining about resetting network settings – I will give that a go.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

seriously, thats clearly a software/yahoo server issue not apple

11. catboy76 thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the IOS4 issue?

12. yac macrumors newbie

Unless you have an iPhone 3G, which does allow you to downgrade iOS(iTunes will give you an error but the phone will be flashed with the iOS of your choosing). The error is due to the baseband not downgrading.

With 3GS and above you need to have your SHSH blobs on file(which usually implies you were once JB'd).

However, there are reports of users on 3GS being able to downgrade without SHSH blobs. So i'd try it, if you get an error right away it didnt work, if it does something and then throw an error, use Tiny Umbrella to kick the device out of recovery and you should be set.

People seem to put way too much trust with Apple. It's your device, you bought it, you should as a user take whatever steps necessary to ensure you can operate your device as you see fit. Anything less than that is gambling :)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What IOS4 issue?
    You will notice slowdowns if you're using an iphone 3G since the system resources are not up to the 3GS or i4 levels to handle 4.x+ firmware.
    About the email you have to maybe remove and reinstall your yahoo account. Mine works perfect so its not an Apple or IOS4 problem. You gotta check your email settings, passwords etc.. to make sure everything is setup correct to send and receive emails.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What issue is this?

15. catboy76 thread starter macrumors newbie

The issue is that Apple only let you upgrade software versions but do not let you downgrade - the problem therefore being that I'm stuck on IOS4 which makes the handset VERY slow to use. It takes up to 8 seconds to perform simple tasks such as opening messages (however turning off Spotlight searches has improved performance a little). There should be an option to revert back to IOS 3.1.3 but Apple do not allow this, presumably in the hope that customers will have to buy a 3GS or Iphone 4 instead.

Regarding the email issue I've tried all those basic steps such as removing and re-adding the account. It's specifically a problem regarding SENDING emails from my Yahoo account. I can receive them just fine. Can anyone else who uses Yahoo perhaps share their POP settings with me?

Thanks

Cb

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can still downgrade an iPhone 3G to 3.1.3
    There's many tutorials here and online in general.