Disillusioned with iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by naujoks, Mar 26, 2011.

1. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Can't say I notice it's faster.
    One gets used to thinness in a day, and it still feels heavy.
    Really disappointed that in Safari tabs still reload ever so often and the grey checkered patterns appear a lot (although I saw a YouTube vid where they said all of the above would not happen, or not very often).
    Loudspeaker much quieter than iPad.
    Plus backlight bleed.

:(

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The fault, dear Naujoks
    Lies not in our Pads
    But in ourselves....

5. blow45 macrumors 68000

if you have excessive backlight bleed and the speaker aint any good take it back for sure, I too share some concerns for the new ipad (to me the supposed thinness makes for a worse grip than the original one and the bezel is too small), but it's the best tablet out there thus far, so unless the tec catches up with our demands we aint gonna be seeing much better, but when it does I am sure apple will be the first to provide it.

6. caubeck macrumors 6502

Maybe it's because my wifi connection is good but I don't see the checkered pages and I find tabs reloading a lot less.

I find the speed to be pretty good, too. Very good indeed in my everyday usage.

Then there are the crappy cameras and bleed. But neither bother me. I think that once iOS 5 arrives we'll appreciate the iPad 2 more, as by 5.4 iPad 1 will be getting slow and sticky, as per Apple's business model.

7. blow45 macrumors 68000

I don't think it's their business model, and I don't foresee ipad one getting slower by 5.something, more so by 6, but that's tec for you if you get double and 8 times (gfx) the power shouldn't the os rise to meet it? Won't that entail a cpu from 3 years ago (by the time they release ipad 3) to be considerably behind the new ones, and thus not really capable of some advanced os features (and application features)? It would. Our devices in the west are getting more and more to be items of immediate consumption with small life cycles, realistically, and not because apple oblige people to keep buying by slowing down their older products with redundant new os features.

As time passes we ll see how skeletal they had to make them to begin with, the os that is, to much the tech of that time.

8. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

If you don't notice it being any faster I'd say something is clearly wrong. I notice from day one how much snappier apps opened, how much quicker it switched between apps. I don't see the checkerboard effect and rarely have web pages reloading when switching between them. I have a 15MB download internet connection at home and even faster at work.

So, I have to respectfully disagree with you! This baby rocks as far as I am concerned when compared to iPad 1.

9. Gunny011 macrumors regular

from my observations, safari speed is more or less the same, only REALLY notice when I compare them side by side.

Games are definitely faster by a good few seconds. Multi-tasking seems the same in terms of speed but at least they don't restart as much!!

10. crazypdxmacfan macrumors newbie

It was pretty clear from all the previews and early reviews that the iPad2 wasn't that big of a jump from the iPad1, and definitely not a must-have upgrade.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be honest, this is the reason I'm trying to hold off, as, to be really honest, it's the same device.

When there are jaw dropping apps that won't run on the iPad1 or the iPad1 is so slow it's unbearable, but iPad2 is a lot of money for basically the same.

"At the moment"

I guess the biggest reason is, a tablet is the screen. It's the screen that makes the device what it is, not a few mm off the back.

When you look at an iPad1 or an iPad2 from the users point of view, it's the same thing. Yes, iPad2 is a bit faster, but it's only a bit.

It's not like the iPad1 is unusable.

the future may change this of course, but right now, it's hard to really feel like it's a totally new product.

The fact the iPad2 seems like a bit of a cheaper make device does not help.
    To be honest, I'd rather they had used the exact same case, not had the bleeding problem, and they could have fitted an even better battery and better camera's.

Thinness has come at quite a cost.

12. synagence macrumors 6502a

Most of the time (mail, safari, twitter apps, video, ipod app etc) aren't going to feel any different

Play a game like Infinity Blade and you realise how much power is in this small device

But yeah .... take it back ... wait until something you want comes along ... you can't take mine away from me though ;)

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Have you considered that you have a poor Internet connection?

No complaints here, seldon see the checkered effect but I am running a very fast Cisco WiFi system

14. sineplex macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:
    stop crying, take it back to the store, get a xoom, galaxy tab or playbook.

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I'm holding both in front me right now and no I disagree. The thinness improves the usability of the iPad 2 by quite a bit by making it easier to hold. Also the build quality of the iPad 2 is excellent. The fit and finish are just as good as the iPad 1 and the home button feels much nicer and quieter.

Personally I haven't yet noticed any backlight bleeding and I was surprised to find the screen is noticably nicer on the iPad 2 than the first one. Brighter, better viewing angle and contrast while also giving you a darker setting at the lowest end.

Having used both for a bit now, I must say the iPad 1 is definitely still a very capable device and there's no need to upgrade in a hurry, but you do begin to notice with "heavy" apps (the Daily for instance) and tasks(such as four finger gesture) that the iPad 2 is indeed faster and I can only imagine what the future will bring, especially for graphic intensive apps and games.

I forgot to mention that I dig the white color and the smart cover too. It's really a very slick package.

16. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I pretty agree with this. And I also have seen more checkerboarding on my BlackBerry than I have on my iPad 1. Can't really remember seeing any on the iPad so far.

17. Tofray macrumors regular

I had the 1, and now the 2, and I definitely see and feel enough of a difference that it justified the upgrade for me. Anyone who disagrees with the speed either doesn't have a 2, has a defective 2, has a crappy internet connection, or is generally a pessimist. ;)

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

I think ipad 2 isn't an "essential" upgrade for those with ipad 1. Havving owned ipad 1 (and selling it in Dec 2010) in anticipation of ipad 2.

Here's my take:
    For upgraders, ipad 1 to ipad 2 feels like the iphone 3G to iPhone 3GS upgrade (for us iphone users). So screen resolution looks the same but ipad 2 is faster, especially in games.

It's simply the best tablet out there. None of Android's tablets out there come close. It's going to take Android probably another 1 year to finally be on equal footing with ipad 1 (in terms of smootness,). Yes, I've tried the Xoom already. Android is relying on guinea pigs (tech savvy) users to try out their first honeycomb tablets. Hopefully Google will finally get it right after 2-3 software updates (hopefully other manufactures will update software a lot faster than they do with the phone OS).

As for first time users looking into a tablet, the iPad 2 is the only true game in town.

19. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

I had the first generation and used it every single day since I got it. I was hesitant on getting the new version as I didn't see all the reasons others did that made it upgrade worthy.

However, after buying one and using it for a few days I can say that there is a night and day difference to me personally between the two devices.

This is what the first gen should have been IMHO. I think you really have to use it for a bit to understand and see the differences besides just the looks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Buy the Back to the Future game in the App Store and try it on the iPad and the iPad 2.

21. seanpholman macrumors regular

The magic in the A5 will become apparent when IOS 5 is launched. Then the iPad 2 upgrade will matter.

--Sean

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

23. naujoks thread starter macrumors 6502

naujoks

Why?

24. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The game is almost unplayable on the iPad, but smooth on the iPad 2. It demonstrates the performance difference, especially since it's a complex game. The developer didn't even update the game for the iPad 2.

25. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Well said.... that about sums up my feelings as a steadfast 1 owner.