Disk accidentally initilized by Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allanibanez, Sep 16, 2009.

1. allanibanez macrumors regular

I took my external drive round to a friends and plugged it into his windows 7 computer. When plugging it in a menu popped up asking if the disk should be initilized and before i could stop my friend he pressed it! So i have a drive which has basically had its partitions table wiped but is still full of data.

Now, I have used Disk Rescue II which by all acounts seems to have recovered all the data, however im in the annoying position of having no free space on hard drives to download the recovered data to. Can i therefore use something like diskwarrior to fix the initilized hard drive and re-create the directory structure, preserving all of the data on the drive? If not i guess i will have to locate an extra external drive to download my data to.

Any help on this matter would be great.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't think DiskWarrior can do this. You'll just have to find the space somewhere. Maybe your friend can give you a drive to use. He owes you that much!

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Disk Warrior won't recreate a directory initialized in a different format.

The safest way to recover would be another drive. If you try to write any new data to the "broken" drive, you run the risk of corrupting data you're trying to recover.

4. allanibanez thread starter macrumors regular

Ah ok so disk warrior isn't the way forward at all? He gave me a 250gb drive which was helpful, but it was a 1tb drive that got initilized so im gonna have to find some more space.