Disk Management App 'DaisyDisk' Gets Major Overhaul With Faster Scanning Speeds, New Look

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Disk management app DaisyDisk received a major update today, overhauling its interface and improving disk scanning speeds. The new DaisyDisk 4 app has a new, flatter design that aims to match OS X Yosemite and El Capitan, with bright colors, it's able to scan drives up to 20 times as fast, and it consumes less memory when in use.

For those of you unfamiliar with DaisyDisk, it's an app that gives you a visual overview of what's eating up space on your Mac. It displays files in a pinwheel-shaped disk map, letting you quickly locate and clean up large files.

After a quick scan, the interactive disk map pops up, which is organized into different colors to denote various sections of a drive. Clicking into a section drills down into individual folders and files arranged by size and color, so it only takes a few seconds to find content that's taking up a lot of space.

File names are listed at the side of the app and any content you want to delete can be dragged down to a bucket located at the bottom of the app. Once you've collected files for deletion, they can be removed with a click.
    DaisyDisk is priced at $9.99 and is available from the DaisyDisk website or from the from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link] The standalone version available from the website is not sandboxed and can be used to scan disks as an administrator, delete stuck files, and reveal hidden disk space.

We've teamed up with DaisyDisk to give away 15 copies of the app to MacRumors readers. To enter to win, use the Rafflecopter widget below and enter your email address.

You can earn additional entries by subscribing to our weekly newsletter, subscribing to our YouTube channel, following us on Twitter, or visiting the MacRumors Facebook page. Due to the complexities of international laws regarding giveaways, only U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older are eligible to enter.

The DaisyDisk giveaway will run from today (September 3) at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time through Monday (September 7) at 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time. The winners will be chosen randomly on September 7 and will be contacted by email. Winners have 48 hours to respond.

Article Link: Disk Management App 'DaisyDisk' Gets Major Overhaul With Faster Scanning Speeds, New Look

2. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

3. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

This is one of the critical apps to have for your iMac.

Looking forward to seeing the update!

4. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Thanks! This is an incredible app, - glad, it got even better.

5. bondjw07 macrumors member

6. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I'm going to sound like I work for the company, but I swear I don't. This is my number 1 most often recommended app for people. Apple has been shipping computers with SSDs for ages now - but those SSDs... fill up with detritus. People don't remember that they downloaded a 5GB movie, or a Microsoft Office DMG because they didn't have an optical drive - and they just leave those files hanging around. Even advanced users like myself find themselves stumbling upon dozens, if not hundreds of gigs of garbage they can free up for useful space. I love DaisyDisk.

OH - and the article should mention that the app update is FREE for existing users!

Seriously an awesome app by a great dev team.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Isn't 640k enough for everyone?

Jokes aside, I'm surprised consumers still run out of hard drive space. My 8 year old 1 TB harddrive is less than 30% full right now, and I could probably throw out a lot of stuff on it and come down to ~8% usage. I've moved everything to the cloud - there's no reason to have my media stored locally when I can stream it plenty fast from the cloud.

All that I need locally is a few applications. I manage games through Steam... install them the first time I play them, then uninstall them if it's been a few months since I last launched it and I don't expect that I'll ever launch it again.

I made the mistake of getting the 128 GB iPhone because my old 64 GB iPhone had 40 GB used on it. But to my surprise, 30 GB of that was music which I didn't bother syncing (because Spotify), so I only am using 10 GB of my 128 GB iPhone after nearly a year of usage.

The cloud has made it so I have very, very low storage requirements.

8. adamjackson macrumors 68000

I did a scan a week ago on my Retina late 2013 MBP w/ SSD and it took about 3.5 minutes. Updated today and it took around 10 seconds.

wow.

9. lightning inc. macrumors regular

A must have app.
    Registered to this give away :)

10. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Not everyone is the same, my SSDs are a battle to keep below 100GB - my PC 1TB hard drive is about 50% full and I have a 3TB NAS and an older 1TB NAS which are about 60% full each. I have some music on there, but my photography files are what take up the room. As cameras increase in resolution, so does the size of the files, and interim files created. I'm also quite judicious in cleaning up the dross pictures.

At least on my macs, this app is essential - good to see it updated!

11. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Okay so two things:

a) Please show me the international laws that say you can't make give aways outside the US. I am sick and tired of Mac Rumours claiming this nonsense when they have readers from all over the world, and when so many other websites, even mainstream popular ones like Engadget - do giveaways all the time with NO geographical limit. This is a digital piece of software being given away on the internet. The internet should not have borders.

b) This app looks really nice but they have raised their price in the UK for no reason. I have contacted them about this, really dodgy practice if you ask me. Before the update it was quite a bit cheaper.

12. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for letting me enter the contest! Sounds like an app to have.

13. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Or just use Finder and Spotlight to search your Mac for large files...

14. DominikHoffmann macrumors regular

DominikHoffmann

Not only that, it automatically recognized that I had the App Store version of the app and took that as a valid license for the new version, which is now no longer sandboxed. Much appreciated, Software Ambience Corp.!

15. dokindo macrumors regular

16. subsonix macrumors 68040

17. Baletin macrumors regular

It found "lost and found" something, of 5gB - what is that (iNode7883612)???????

Can I delete it??

[​IMG]

18. subsonix macrumors 68040

Every file has an inode number, or in HFS+ case they are actually CNID numbers. It's very odd that it responds with the inode number and not the filename. I believe the lost+found is from file system errors resulting from a force shutdown for example. Perhaps try to check and repair the volume in diskutility.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple/explained-lost-found-folder-in-os-x-712519

19. bushido Suspended

bushido

too much work

20. Baletin macrumors regular

Hm, It is still unclear, can I delete this file (it is hidden actually) or not... It dated to 2013 when the screen was exchanged via garanty... probably then the shutdown took place, because I never experienced any issues similar to unexpected/forced shut down...

21. subsonix, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015

subsonix macrumors 68040

I can't answer that since I don't know what file it is. The fact that it's referred to by it's inode number probably means that you don't know either. But you can try to check the file system in Disk Utility. If that doesn't resolve the issue, it's up to you. Perhaps make a backup before you delete it, if you choose this option.

You can test if the file has many links with stat -x in Terminal, then try to find the other references by searching for inode number, which I believe you can do with the find utility in Terminal.

22. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

Well, some things deserve to be free. I looked at the screenshots and I think it broke my eyes.

Also try Disk Inventory X which while being almost equally hideous at least might make you nostalgic for Windows 98 and the shareware craze.

23. mw360 macrumors 68000

mw360

That's for children. Real men use du

24. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Not at all. Command-F in Finder, select "file size" from pop-up menu, select > or < and type the size.

25. subsonix macrumors 68040

It's pretty convenient to do this on the entire file system and then get to see the result as a sunburst diagram though.