Disk Management App 'DaisyDisk' Gets Major Overhaul With Faster Scanning Speeds, New Look

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Please show me the international laws that say you can't make give aways outside the US. I am sick and tired of Mac Rumours claiming this nonsense when they have readers from all over the world, and when so many other websites, even mainstream popular ones like Engadget - do giveaways all the time with NO geographical limit. This is a digital piece of software being given away on the internet. The internet should not have borders.
I'm not sure why we'd be making it up...we'd love to make our giveaways available to everyone. But we investigated things pretty thoroughly and consulted with our lawyer, and the international situation with giveaway laws is ridiculously complex. We don't have the resources to research (much less comply with sometimes conflicting) giveaway laws in every country around the world, so we have to restrict things. Most large sites (including Engadget) geographically restrict their giveaways. Smaller sites may not out of ignorance of giveaway laws, and they get away with it because of their lower profiles. Running afoul of these laws isn't something we're too keen on given our visibility.

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Okay so two things:
b) This app looks really nice but they have raised their price in the UK for no reason. I have contacted them about this, really dodgy practice if you ask me. Before the update it was quite a bit cheaper.
What's dodgy about increasing a price? If I've got the numbers right, it's 9.99 USD on the US app store, and 7.99 GBP on the UK app store. The latter is ~12 USD, which is what you'd expect with 20% VAT. In any case, they're free to set the price as they like.

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
What's dodgy about increasing a price? If I've got the numbers right, it's 9.99 USD on the US app store, and 7.99 GBP on the UK app store. The latter is ~12 USD, which is what you'd expect with 20% VAT. In any case, they're free to set the price as they like.
Of course they are. As I am free to express my displeasure at them deciding to change the price, when in the US they kept it the same. It's also actually £8.99 on their store for the non-sandboxed version.

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
I'm not sure why we'd be making it up...we'd love to make our giveaways available to everyone. But we investigated things pretty thoroughly and consulted with our lawyer, and the international situation with giveaway laws is ridiculously complex. We don't have the resources to research (much less comply with sometimes conflicting) giveaway laws in every country around the world, so we have to restrict things. Most large sites (including Engadget) geographically restrict their giveaways. Smaller sites may not out of ignorance of giveaway laws, and they get away with it because of their lower profiles. Running afoul of these laws isn't something we're too keen on given our visibility.
I am 99% sure I have seen Engadget and other popular sites do international giveaways. Also YouTubers with millions of subscribers.
You're just scared ;)

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Of course they are. As I am free to express my displeasure at them deciding to change the price, when in the US they kept it the same. It's also actually £8.99 on their store for the non-sandboxed version.
Are you sure the lower price wasn't just a sale? Also are you sure the increase wasn't caused by Apple adjusting the App Store pricing tiers as they do from time to time? The calculations above suggest your much cheaper UK price would have been less than the U.S. price which sounds unlikely. And finally, what are we talking about here, a £1 increase or more?

Reactions: ohbrilliance

Sheza

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2010
Are you sure the lower price wasn't just a sale? Also are you sure the increase wasn't caused by Apple adjusting the App Store pricing tiers as they do from time to time? The calculations above suggest your much cheaper UK price would have been less than the U.S. price which sounds unlikely. And finally, what are we talking about here, a £1 increase or more?
I'm allowed to be frugal ;)

And yes it was not a sale. I know this because:
a) My memory recalls that there was no sale when I looked at the website a few weeks back and
b) I checked the MacShopper or whatever it's called price history and there was only 1 change in the past year, from $4.99 to $9.99.

I only discovered this app less than a month ago, and I only looked at their website and not the App Store. So Apple's pricing is irreversible (and it's unlikely they shifted pricing only a few weeks ago).

Also the increase, if my memory serves me, is £2.50.

Eorlas

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Thank you very much MR for posting about this! I love DaisyDisk.

I came across this app after trying to find the Mac equivalent of WinDirStat, and it has served me well for quite a while. The speed difference is more than noticeable; it's absolutely astounding.

Baletin

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
I can't answer that since I don't know what file it is. The fact that it's referred to by it's inode number probably means that you don't know either. But you can try to check the file system in Disk Utility. If that doesn't resolve the issue, it's up to you. Perhaps make a backup before you delete it, if you choose this option.

You can test if the file has many links with stat -x in Terminal, then try to find the other references by searching for inode number, which I believe you can do with the find utility in Terminal.
I've found that this archive is for files the system considers to be "lost". I viewed the content of the archive and all the files were old and related to the system and localization. Deleted it and gained 5GB...

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
Can't understand why some folk are complaining about a: not being included in the giveaway & b: the price. It's a tenner, you can afford a Mac... so put up or shut up.

Yes, it's worth every penny, and even more so with the free update.

Oleg K.

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
I'm allowed to be frugal ;)

And yes it was not a sale. I know this because:
a) My memory recalls that there was no sale when I looked at the website a few weeks back and
b) I checked the MacShopper or whatever it's called price history and there was only 1 change in the past year, from $4.99 to $9.99.

I only discovered this app less than a month ago, and I only looked at their website and not the App Store. So Apple's pricing is irreversible (and it's unlikely they shifted pricing only a few weeks ago).

Also the increase, if my memory serves me, is £2.50.
Here's Oleg from DaisyDisk team. I wasn't aware of the change of price in some countries. One thing I can tell for sure is that we didn't change the price by ourselves. The price in our store is calculated automatically using the current FX rates and local VAT rates. And it seems that the calculator of the new store (launched yesterday) is now using a different rounding formula.

Another explanation of the perceived price increase is that in our new store, the price is displayed upfront with VAT included, while in our old store, you were first presented with the international, VAT-less price, and then on the last checkout you saw the price with VAT included. In the UK example, it would be first £6.77 and then £8.12, respectively. You may not have reached the last checkout page so you may have remembered the VAT-less price :) The actual increase of price that we're talking about is £0.87.

I'm now contating our store operator regarding this matter. Thanks for the heads-up!

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Cool kids use ssds and they can be small and expensive.

Isn't 640k enough for everyone?

Jokes aside, I'm surprised consumers still run out of hard drive space. My 8 year old 1 TB harddrive is less than 30% full right now, and I could probably throw out a lot of stuff on it and come down to ~8% usage. I've moved everything to the cloud - there's no reason to have my media stored locally when I can stream it plenty fast from the cloud.

All that I need locally is a few applications. I manage games through Steam... install them the first time I play them, then uninstall them if it's been a few months since I last launched it and I don't expect that I'll ever launch it again.

I made the mistake of getting the 128 GB iPhone because my old 64 GB iPhone had 40 GB used on it. But to my surprise, 30 GB of that was music which I didn't bother syncing (because Spotify), so I only am using 10 GB of my 128 GB iPhone after nearly a year of usage.

The cloud has made it so I have very, very low storage requirements.

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
www.enyum.com
i was about to get CleanMyMac 3... Never heard of this daisy disk app before.

What are the differences? Which one would you guys recommend?

The key feature I like about CMM3 is the uninstaller as it get rids of all the related files.

75th Trombone

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
I have to say this somewhere, so I guess I'll do it here:

I do not understand people's love for DaisyDisk. It seems to me like the quintessential example of favoring form over function; indeed, it's the first thing I think of in the entire world when I think of "form over function".

A hard-drive-space-analysis tool has one job: To help you easily see where the biggest files and folders are, at the bottom of the file hierarchy. But that's not what DaisyDisk does! It shows you the top five levels of your current view as thick arcs that increase in area as you go down. So if you scan your whole hard drive, all you can easily see is that your /Users folder is huge, your /Applications folder is big too, and then there's other stuff.

Of course, you can drill down into folders. But as soon as you do that, you lose the context of the rest of your disk. I can drill down to my Dropbox folder — though even then, most files are several levels down — but then I can't compare that to things on my Desktop, or large Applications, or whatever, without going back up and back down again.

Compare that to GrandPerspective. In one window I can see everything on the disk. The visual size of each item is directly proportional to its size on disk. I can notice and identify large files without even a click. And thanks to the coloring, I can easily see large folders that are full of smaller files.

I really think the love for DaisyDisk is almost entirely due to the visual design and the sexy animations. I love those things too, and GrandPerspective certainly isn't very attractive. But GP gets the job done way more easily and efficiently than DaisyDisk, and I don't think DaisyDisk can fix that without ceasing to be DaisyDisk.

Reactions: Archmage

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
i was about to get CleanMyMac 3... Never heard of this daisy disk app before.

What are the differences? Which one would you guys recommend?

The key feature I like about CMM3 is the uninstaller as it get rids of all the related files.
CleanMyMac is more like an uninstaller and finds unused files, unnecessary language files, empties trash, clears cache etc. I don't think it displays file distribution on your disk, but it's been a while since I used it.

Last time I used DaisyDisk it displayed file storage in a nice way to determine what was taking space. But you then had to go and delete it manually.

Oleg K.

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Compare that to GrandPerspective. In one window I can see everything on the disk. The visual size of each item is directly proportional to its size on disk. I can notice and identify large files without even a click. And thanks to the coloring, I can easily see large folders that are full of smaller files.
The "treemap" design used in apps like GrandPerspective has its benefits, and with a proper implementation, they can be quite usable. We actually considered treemap as well, when we initially designed DaisyDisk (which then didn't have this name, of course :) ) and compared it against the "sunburst" design. After thorough testing, we decided that the latter performs better in terms of UX. So we have real data to support this decision, not a mere speculation or gut feeling.

The problem with treemap is that it doesn't visually give you the location context of the file you are looking at, and this is the most critical thing to know to understand what the file is, and make decision whether it can be deleted or not. If you don't know where the file is located, you get what we call "omg, where am I?" problem. In treemaps, you can only understand location when you point mouse over a file, and you get that information in text (path), which is not visual, requires effort to interpret.

Compare that to sunburst. Yes, it doesn't show all files at once, but this is rather beneficial, because it doesn't overload your eyes with information all at once. By hiding some of it, it allows you manage complexity, step by step. But the main thing, the sunburst displays the folder tree itself, not only terminal leaves on that tree. So by following the tree branches, you can easily – visually! – understand where the file is located. Color coding and animations also help you with that.

Of course, sunburst has its downsides, but we've minimized all of them with some original ideas. All in all, it's not by chance that people find DaisyDisk easy to use. It's because its design is optimized for most people and most use cases. And let me respectfully disagree that its popularity is due to visual design and sexy animations. It's only topping on an ice cream. You would see it too if you knew what we know :)

Thanks for thoughtful discussion! :)

75th Trombone

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Hey, thanks for the great reply. I guess this may come down to a nerds-versus-mass-market issue. Or maybe it's just me. Moving the mouse over the treemap display, seeing the borders pop up, and watching the path segments in the status bar change (or stay the same) is, to me, an incredibly natural and fast way of getting the sense of place you refer to. But I can see how non-nerds might find it overwhelming or nonsensical. Regular People Hate the File Hierarchy!™ may enter into it, too.

So yeah, thank you for the nicest and most polite taking-down-a-peg I can remember getting! :) I really should remember that different things actually are better for different people.

LV426

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2013
I installed it on a new MacBook Pro (previously purchased). To the right of the Macintosh HD icon it displays an "Unlock" button. What's all that about?

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
I installed it on a new MacBook Pro (previously purchased). To the right of the Macintosh HD icon it displays an "Unlock" button. What's all that about?
That's sandboxing. It can't read the drive without you giving it permission. It should walk you through it.

Oleg K.

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
It's about sandboxing which is mandatory for all apps in the Mac App Store. The app cannot access your disk until you explicitly allow it do so. Please click the Unlock button and proceed as it guides you. Or switch to the stand-alone, non-sandboxed version (for free): http://daisydiskapp.com/downloads/DaisyDisk.zip
The latter even has more features, see http://daisydiskapp.com/manual/4/en/Topics/Editions.html

Reactions: Artimus12

LV426

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2013
That's sandboxing. It can't read the drive without you giving it permission. It should walk you through it.
Thanks, mw360 and Oleg K. That was easy. I didn't want to just click the button without knowing exactly what it did. Could have been a request for an upgrade fee, turning off disk encryption for all I knew. IMHO, something like "Access Disk" would have been clearer.

Oleg K.

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
Your hesitation is understandable. It's a long story. After the mandatory inception of sandbox in the Mac App Store, we tried different names and implementations of this command, but Apple review team kept rejecting it all. Somehow they appeared to have very strict views on this seemingly trivial command. Our schedule was in danger. I had to come to SF and attend WWDC in person to talk to the reviewers. They turned out to be very nice gentlemen. "Unlock" was the solution we finally agreed upon. "Access" was tabooed. A mystery :)

LV426

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2013
Just goes to show... smart people aren't smart all the time. Whilst 'Unlock' might seem to be fashionable, those guys clearly couldn't put themselves in the place of a user trying to figure out what the consequences of unlocking something might be, or even wondering why it was locked in the first place!

Reactions: mw360

ShadovvMoon

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
DaisyDisk is an amazing app, especially for those with smaller hard drives. It has saved me on numerous occasions from the "you are out of disk space" error. I had an issue at one point with "hidden space" but I just needed to repair my drive in Disk Utility.