Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
okay so today i was normally doing some video editing for a movie i was going to put on youtube, and i wanted to add a transition. when i tried to add the transition a dialog box opened up saying i couldn't, unknown error, try saving and reopening. So i go to save my movie and after i click save a message comes up saying "the disk might be locked, read only, or completely full. Try saving from a diff location, i go to save to a diff location, same dialog.

So i go open up disk utility, i veryify my disk and sure enough my disk needs repairing. (see attachment) When i try to click repair disk i cant, its not highlighted, i have no idea what to do, am very upset because its pretty new.

i have to go i will add more later

-Clay

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 241

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You can't repair the startup volume while booted to it.

Boot off another volume, or use your OS-X "restore" disk (hold down "c" when starting up to boot off CD/DVD). When you get to the "install" dialog, you will see menus are enabled and you can run Disk Utility from there.

edit: read the info in the bottom bullet in the Disk Utility dialog (the screenshot you attached)

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Ha, I see you've got the double arrows at both ends "secret feature" enabled. But you can't do anything to something that's running without encountering problems... like dragging the system files to the trash. just boot from the install/restore disks and open up disk utility on that... don't install anything.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
thanks for the responses guys, however

say im on vacation for another 2 weeks and dont have access to my restore cd's. :eek: Do i need to take any precautions or just not use the computer at all, what exactly is wrong with it? is it possible to lose all of my data? Could i have caused this? Is it specifically dangerous or normal. Im am uber protective over my computer because i saved money for like a year to get it, and im 13 so ya its plenty of money for my age.

This is the end to the story

It has been acting very weird latly i logged in yesterday and everything on my desktop were in diff places than the day before and i know i didnt do that, also i logged in and all of my stuff in the menu bar was gone, airport sound battery bluetooth, everything???? And it took me like 3 minutes to boot up again, it boots up fine now but anyways.

omzf!

I put the install dvdss in my bag, meaning that i have the install cd,s i will try it out, i have never done this before. :/

i will let yawl know how it turns out.

tennismanclay

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2007
US-Texas
whewww

Ok i loaded in the cd and everything worked great, i wasnt expecting a real UI but anyhoo i believe its all better now, except for the fact i lost my movie i had spent a good 30 mins on. o well

since the last hour i have wet my pants 3 times, had a heart attack, thrown up twice, and threatened my dog.

kidding:p

but pretty overwhelming for me, i know it prolly wasnt a huge deal but im very protective of my macbook. :D

:apple: -Clay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.