Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jngphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I have M2 Mac mini and I just upgraded to Monterey. I have a external Seagate 8TB hub attached via a Cal Digit Element. Ever since upgrading to Monterey, every time I wake the computer from sleep, I get a bunch of "Disk Not Ejected Properly."

I've tried turning turning on "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping..." but no luck.
Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 7.20.09 PM.png

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
I would get that on my 2018 Mac mini quite often with Catalina and Big Sur. My issue ended up being an old hard drive that was going bad. I haven't updated to Monterey yet but my problem went away after getting rid of that one hard drive.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
I would get that on my 2018 Mac mini quite often with Catalina and Big Sur. My issue ended up being an old hard drive that was going bad. I haven't updated to Monterey yet but my problem went away after getting rid of that one hard drive.

"M2 Mac mini", really ;-)

This error reminds me of older macOS versions, even pre-Catalina. I had back then also similar issues with Western Digital drives. The cause was the Western Digital Drive Utilities, which install as a kernel extension and mess around with the drives' sleep mode (or better said macOS putting drives to sleep). Since then, I only briefly install it when needed (e.g. when you want to configure a new WD MyBook Duo as RAID0 or RAID1).

Are you running any Seagate tools ?

On my Western Digital drives (I have a 20TB Duo, 4TB TM drive, 14TB back-up and another 10TB for backups) I just leave the default power down to 30 mins. This makes the drives' automatic sleep modes don't interfere with whatever macOS is doing.

bapegg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2019
Missouri
The hard drive I had issues with was an older Toshiba 160GB laptop drive. I never installed any utilities for it when I got my 2018 mini. I used the sam drive n an external gas with my 2010 mini without any issues (High Sierra). My issue is most likely caused by an old drive that is failing. Since pulling it, I have not had any issues.

jngphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
"M2 Mac mini", really ;-)

This error reminds me of older macOS versions, even pre-Catalina. I had back then also similar issues with Western Digital drives. The cause was the Western Digital Drive Utilities, which install as a kernel extension and mess around with the drives' sleep mode (or better said macOS putting drives to sleep). Since then, I only briefly install it when needed (e.g. when you want to configure a new WD MyBook Duo as RAID0 or RAID1).

Are you running any Seagate tools ?

On my Western Digital drives (I have a 20TB Duo, 4TB TM drive, 14TB back-up and another 10TB for backups) I just leave the default power down to 30 mins. This makes the drives' automatic sleep modes don't interfere with whatever macOS is doing.
No Seagate tools.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
This has happened to me a few times. I use Amphetamine to make it so that my MBP never goes to sleep (even when the lid is closed), but due to a misconfiguration, it did sleep on a few occasions (before I figured out the setting), and when I opened it back up it would have a bunch of those messages, as though my external drives had repeatedly been disconnected and reconnected over and over while the computer was asleep (or half asleep?). It doesn't occur anymore now that the computer is set to not go to sleep.

In your case, with a Mac Mini, I would think that just setting it to not go to sleep would suffice, but maybe try Amphetamine to help ensure it doesn't ever go to sleep?

jngphoto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
This has happened to me a few times. I use Amphetamine to make it so that my MBP never goes to sleep (even when the lid is closed), but due to a misconfiguration, it did sleep on a few occasions (before I figured out the setting), and when I opened it back up it would have a bunch of those messages, as though my external drives had repeatedly been disconnected and reconnected over and over while the computer was asleep (or half asleep?). It doesn't occur anymore now that the computer is set to not go to sleep.

In your case, with a Mac Mini, I would think that just setting it to not go to sleep would suffice, but maybe try Amphetamine to help ensure it doesn't ever go to sleep?
Everything was fine until I updated to Monterey. It's a software issue with the new OS Monterey with USB Hubs. I disconnected the HD from the Caldigit Element Hub and directly into the back of the Mac mini. All is fine now. Hopefully Apple fixes this with a software update.

Reactions: macphoto861

ranjan2001

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Everything was fine until I updated to Monterey. It's a software issue with the new OS Monterey with USB Hubs. I disconnected the HD from the Caldigit Element Hub and directly into the back of the Mac mini. All is fine now. Hopefully Apple fixes this with a software update.

M1 Mac mini, I am still on BigSur 11.6 & have been getting same error, the Seagate Backup plus 5TB keeps ejecting randomly during M1 mini sleeping.

I have now set the energy saver settings to default which actually keeps the option to "put hard disk to sleep whenever possible" will update you if the default settings solve the problem or not.

dexcova

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
I have the same issue with the same hard drive (Seagate 8TB) on my 2017 iMac. The issue only started after I installed Monterey.

ranjan2001

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2021
Screenshot 2021-11-03 at 04.41.09.jpg

After setting to default, the hard disk ejected again & strangely the option "put hard disk to sleep whenever possible" is not showing up anymore, it has disappeared from the options.

Seems like a real bug which apple should have addressed by now, I am still on BigSur 11.6. Really need some urgent solution to this problem.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Started happening for me too, Mac Mini M1, set to not sleep at all, yet getting multiple messages per day about one of my USB disks being disconnected without ejecting.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Wales
I have been seeing a lot of this on the iMac. From Big Sur. USB3 powered hub with several drives connected and if I connected anything at the hub, it will drop the lot out. Connect the same device to the USBC port and it doesn't. Though a hard drive connected to the USBC port will still drop out randomly.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
OMG, this has been bugging me since Catalina. I knew it had something to do with external HUBs. I've submitted this issue with Apple's Feedback app with each OS release since it started happening... I guess it isn't a priority. Either that, or it's not something Apple can fix.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
OMG, this has been bugging me since Catalina. I knew it had something to do with external HUBs. I've submitted this issue with Apple's Feedback app with each OS release since it started happening... I guess it isn't a priority. Either that, or it's not something Apple can fix.
I had this problem going back several releases but hadn’t experienced it in a couple of years. Normally, it happened in betas, which is why I stopped putting betas on my primary Mac. But to hear that it was reported during Monterey beta but was not addressed is disheartening. Disks getting spontaneously ejected can result in corruption and data loss. It’s kind of a showstopper.

dexcova

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Does any else have the additional issue of the mac going to sleep unable to be wakened because the mouse and keyboard have disconnected. Both these issues are doing my head in.

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Does any else have the additional issue of the mac going to sleep unable to be wakened because the mouse and keyboard have disconnected. Both these issues are doing my head in.
My mouse and keyboard were disconnecting while connected to the hub, but I moved them to be connected to my monitor, and they’ve held.

dexcova

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
Yeah - mine are bluetooth.
Because the 8TB drive keeps disconnecting so frequently, I have now disconnected and will only plug it in when I need it. I hope this gets fixed quickly. The odd thing is I have a 4TB drive connected that is soley for Time Machine backups and that one doesn't disconnect.
I regret not waiting to upgrade.

dexcova

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2021
I don't think it is specifically a USB hubs issue - my external drives are connected directly to the mac and I have the same issue you did.

Reactions: Brian33

sageman72

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
Same problem here after I updated to Monterey. MacBook Pro early 2015.
Seems like it doesn't happen if I actively select 'sleep' at Mac menu, only happens when I close the lid or just let the machine sit and go to sleep on its own. Needs some more testing to confirm.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I don't think it is specifically a USB hubs issue - my external drives are connected directly to the mac and I have the same issue you did.
It isn't related to USB hubs. I've got a Time Machine server handling backups on my home network, and I get this every time my machine wakes from sleep. It started happening immediately after upgrading to Monterey.

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 10.46.41.png

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
I think it's a little premature to rule out USB hubs as a factor in this problem. I had the Disk Not Ejected messages pile up after a Monterey install and I fixed it by powering a device that was connected to a USB hub. It seems this device was drawing too much power from the hub and this somehow affected the drive which was actually connected to a OWC Thunderbolt 4 hub which also had the USB hub connected to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.