Disk Repair and other System Tools

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ajbrehm, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ajbrehm macrumors 6502

Can anybody recommend a good disk repair tool (should be universal, not Intel-only)?

I found several in the online Apple store but don't know which one to buy.

Any recommendations?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Does Disk Utility not fix whatever problem you're having?

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

DiskWarrior from Alsoft. A little expensive, but worth its price.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My Disk Warrior v3 does not work on my intel MBP. I'm not thrilled with the expense of their upgrade policy ($50 to upgrade). Does Disk Warrior have any competition on the Mac that does directory maintenance? I am familiar with TechTool Pro and am faced with upgrading it too, but I don't know if it does exactly what Dirk Warrior does.

Opinions? Thanks!

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Drive Genius II by ProSoft is probably the most well rounded utility suite for dealing with hard drives in particular, but from my experience no one software tool is going to be the do all and end all "package". Each has their areas of "expertise".

Disk Warrior in particular only really does one thing- rebuild directories. That being said, it does that one thing spectacularly well and has pulled my behind out of the fire on more than one occasion- so to me I have no hesitation to keep it upgraded to a version necessary to work on current hardware. I keep a current version of Data Rescue II on hand also, as again it is a special use app that few things can compare with in its area of expertise. Drive Genius II has been handy on occasion too particularly in benchmarking and testing drives.

IMO upgrade fees for software are in reality a very small investment compared to the amount people sink into new hardware- yet people will sink $2000 into a new laptop and then ask that software developers re-write code to maintain compatibility with the changes brought about by the new hardware free.;)